No appetite!

Options
marishia
marishia Posts: 4 Member
Help! I have no appetite, how do I eat my almost 1500 calories per day (1900 on workout days)? I dont want to eat empty junk food. I workout 3-4 times per week aprox 1 hour . Any ideas?

Replies

• Lilaczest
    Lilaczest Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Marishia,

Well, I don't actually ever *have* that problem. I have trouble keeping too much food out of my mouth. LOL I'm not sure if I clearly understand your question. If you want to know how to increase your desire for food, I'm not a professional nutritionist. But from my experience, I'd have to know a lot more about what you are eating, if you are on any medication, your past history, etc. Some medications suppress appetite.

If you want to know how to get the right kinds of calories into you, regardless of what you feel like eating, I do know the more healthy foods you eat, the more you want to eat them and not empty calorie food. Generally, I find it works well for me to eat 4 times a day: around 7, 11, 3, and dinner. I try to keep my calories around 350 to 400 per meal. I am sure to include some protien: an egg, a small amount of meat, or it could be yogurt. Then I try to make sure I have either some fruit or vegetable with that. Perhaps it's a salad, or carrots and hummus, tomato sauce, a cooked vegetable or soup (broth based is better). Then I allow myself a carbohydrate, and try to make it whole grain: brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta. There are an unlimited number of meals you can make with these things, either mixed together or put separately on a plate.

If you're not eating at least your basic metabolic rate, around 1250 calories per day for most, your body won't want to let go of any fat reserves because it believes you are in a famine situation. So, try to work on small healthy meals would be my advice.

Heather
  • marishia
    marishia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather.Thanks for the reply. I eat at least 5 small meals a day, even when im not hungry. I always have atleast 1 somtimes 2 greek yogerts a day. High fiber oatmeal in the morning. I do not drink soda. I dont eat a lot of bread. I take a lot of vitamins, the only medication I take is Spironolactone for alopecia and Prilosec for GERD. I have always been a big girl ever since I can remember I have been slightly overweight, but carried it well. In the last couple of years my waist is gone and now I have a muffin top. I am 5"9 and 239lbs. My sister got married last March and for 3 months before the wedding I did everything right to lose weight, good diet, I was working out in the gym and helping teach Zumba 2-3 times a week, correct amount of water...i didnt see any results at all or increase in energy. I am very discouraged but dont want to give up . I now have a wedding in May of this year I am a bridesmaid and I want to look and feel better.
  • Lilaczest
    Lilaczest Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Would you be interested in trying to calculate your basic metabolic rate (BMR) and your total daily energy expended (TDEE)? My sister in law has been working on fine tuning my fitness routine with me. And we figured this out together. I could give you some step by step instructions on how to calculate that and it could help fine tune the actual number of calories you want to aim for. It comes from the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Let me know if you want any more feedback with this.

Heather