Rutabagas

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
Rutabagas are a running joke in my house.

In the bathtub, we say to our toddlers "Let me clean those rutabagas out of your belly button".

When they ask for a treat, we say "How about some yummy rutabagas?".... "Ewwwww, nooooo!!!!"

When they don't listen, we say "What do you have in your ears, rutabagas?" It cracks them up every time.

But my boys had never actually had any rutabagas until this week. A few weeks I bought some and showed them to the boys. They wrinkled up their noses. I cut them up and put them in a stew, but the boys didn't eat the stew. I loved them.

Well... I just made rutabaga fries with truffle salt. When I served them, I just told the boys they were french fries. My five year old said, "I love these. What's in them?" He knew something was up. I made sure both boys agreed that they LOVED them, and then told them they were made of rutabagas. Ha!

Here's the recipe:
2 rutabagas... trim off any hard edges
1/4 cup fat of choice... I used some reserved bacon grease, but coconut oil, ghee, butter, lard, whatever would be fine
salt of choice... I used black truffle salt, but sea salt would work

1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Slice rutabagas length-wise into thin strips. You'll want to use a big-*kitten* chef's knife. Or maybe a mandolin would work too.
3. Heat fat to liquid.
4. Pour liquid fat and rutabaga slices into a plastic bag and toss, or toss well in a big bowl to make sure all pieces are coated. Work quickly, because the fat cools onto the veg pretty quick and congeals.
5. Line a baking tray with heavy-duty foil and spread fries out to single layer.
6. Sprinkle salt over fries.
7. Bake for about 10 min. Then flip fries. Sprinkle a little more salt, and bake another 10-15 min.
8. Kick it up to a broil for 5 min if you're impatient, which is what we did to get them crispy.
9. Make sure you share with 3-4 other people, or else you'll eat the whole pan.

Enjoy!

Replies