New to Primal and Feeling Like Poop

Options
Hello all :) I have just started eating Primal (according to Mark Sisson's PBP) and I have to say, I feel pretty awful and "sunk in" today. I've been reading around some forums for support and thought I'd ask for any advice anyone may have to offer here. My diary will be open momentarily if anyone wants to take a look at my past couple days. Any snacks you can recommend as a pick-me-up that are Primal or any other tips/comments on my diary? Thanks!

Replies

• hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had the 'low-carb' flu for about a week when I first started eating primal. Didn't feel like doing anything except laying on the couch.

I heard it described as either I wasn't eating enough fat or there were a lot of sugar hungry bacteria in my gut dying off from the lack of carbs/sugar and releasing toxins when they died.

It passed and I've never felt better since then. Lots more energy than before. So much so I started some exercise because I wanted to, not because I felt I needed to.

Hang in there, it gets better.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I agree with what was just said! You will feel better soon! Ou may want to increase your fat consumption some,helps with energy! I keep my carbs low and my fat and protein high! Thatis what works for ME! friend me too if you want.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm eating a ridiculous amount of fat as is! It's definitely a big change, and luckily (and unluckily) I have been free with nothing to do BUT sit around at home. So I can relax when I'm feeling this way, but there's not much to distract me from it.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Along with eating more fat, drink plenty of water and have broth or something salty if you are feeling dizzy.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I found that in the first days of transitioning to primal/paleo that upping my protein helped as well as drinking lots of water,resting and upping fat intake.
    It will pass and if you don't have lots of weight to lose,you may do better at higher carbs(closer to 100 grams)
    See how it goes for the next week or so and then start tweaking,also,make sure you are getting enough calories.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I felt the same for first 2 weeks, then increased my fat intake, avocados, nuts and more meats, felt better right away. Your carbs are lower so you have to increase your fat and protein to offset it, then you will get your energy back :)
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Up the fat, eat carbs post-workout, or at night at least. Low fat milk is kind of silly. The calorie target looks really lean to me, but I am not a 20-something girl, so I could be way off. ;^)

Past that, what the above have said. Hang in there. Some people feel like trash for up to three weeks. There's a lot changing under the hood, so to speak.
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options
    I currently have my goals set to: 66g of carbs (20%), 81g of fat (55%), and 83g protein (25%). Does this sound okay?

Also, I'm a very inactive person (yes, bad, I know, I'm working on it), if that matters.
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options
    Up the fat, eat carbs post-workout, or at night at least. Low fat milk is kind of silly. The calorie target looks really lean to me, but I am not a 20-something girl, so I could be way off. ;^)

Past that, what the above have said. Hang in there. Some people feel like trash for up to three weeks. There's a lot changing under the hood, so to speak.

Yeah, I just needed something sweet to tide me over. I felt a ton better afterwards.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it takes a while for your body to adjust, but then you'll feel a lot better! Hang in there.
  • ajwolters
    Options
    I'm also extremely sedentary, though I have more energy now and I'm *thinking* about exercising, hehe. I'm hypothyroid, so fatigue is usually bad. Feel free to check out my food diary and add me as a Friend. Hope you feel better soon!
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm also extremely sedentary, though I have more energy now and I'm *thinking* about exercising, hehe.

Same here (long live the IT minions!). I've started doing some exercise (don't always track it though since I don't care about earning exercise calories) just because my energy levels are higher and my body seems to want to do something.

Tried some HIIT on my stationary bike and some strength training with dumbbells. Trying to keep it intense and short.
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would do some yoga.. drink lots of water.. eat more bacon! :)... also have some mixed nuts.. that really helps me!
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I currently have my goals set to: 66g of carbs (20%), 81g of fat (55%), and 83g protein (25%). Does this sound okay?

Also, I'm a very inactive person (yes, bad, I know, I'm working on it), if that matters.

from what i've read, your fat and protein percentages need to be closer, so 40% and 40% or maybe fat 45% and protein 35%. a lot of your energy is going to come from protein now that your carbs are low.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    The feeling will pass. It's very likely carb withdrawal. If you feel you can't handle it for the week or so it'll take your body to get over it, up your carb intake with primal carbs (sweet potatoes or fruit are good) and then you can wean yourself off of them more slowly and it should have less of an effect on your body.

Those are decent ratios. I'd maybe up your protein a tad (30%), but that's not bad, IMO.
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the tips!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

I wouldn't worry about the number of carbs - assuming you are eating complex carbs and not simple carbs. Personally, I focus on limiting my sugar to less than 50g (but don't stress about it if my sugar is coming from natural sources - e.g., apples, berries, etc.), carbs less than 100g (again, I don't stress if my carbs are coming from brocolli :tongue: ) and at least 100g of protein per day. Everything else is just for my own check and balance purposes (e.g., sodium, fiber, etc.)

Try to eat at least every 2-3 hours. I've found eating 6 small meals (if you want to call snacks a meal) will keep your energy up.
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options
    Just thought I'd write a quick update, I'm feeling at least 10x better now! My energy levels are much better and I'm finding more creative ways to get in as much nutrition as possible. I'm so happy I pushed through the crappy days >.<
  • ajwolters
    Options
    Just thought I'd write a quick update, I'm feeling at least 10x better now! My energy levels are much better and I'm finding more creative ways to get in as much nutrition as possible. I'm so happy I pushed through the crappy days >.<

Glad you're feeling better! Keep it up :)
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Sounds like ketosis. Your body is 'looking' for carbs to burn for fuel and not finding any right now but give it time, it will adjust to using the fat in your diet and in your body for fuel instead. I went through this as well and I found my workouts VERY difficult. You might want to add a little more carbs into your diet in the form of veggies, fruit and sweet potatoes.