Potassium

Options
Hey there, fairly new around here, but have a question... been doing a good job of tracking my food/nutritional info, but finding it IMPOSSIBLE to reach the daily goal of 3500 for potassium, it seems unreachable, and certainly not without blowing out your sugar levels, bananas are high, but I would need to eat about 8 per day, and the sugar from 2 bananas is my daily allowance gone! Is anybody using a potassium supplement at all? I had no idea I wasn't getting everything I needed, I was confident I had a well balanced diet until I started tracking, turns out I was low in sodium, vit a, calcium and potassium. Potassium is the only one I haven't been able to fix up.

thanks

Replies

• JezcaLeean
    Options
    I hear you there. Bananas, broccoli, and tomatoes are all high potassium, as are some dairy products and meats. But most importantly, the potassium you need in your diet is relative to your sodium intake. If you eat 1mg of sodium, you need 2mg of potassium to keep you from retaining water. If you eat low-sodium foods, you need less potassium! I hope this helps!
  • AussieRobbos
    Options
    Thanks for that tip about the sodium/potassium link! Never knew that!

The more you inform yourself about what is and isn't in food the more confusing it gets! Always thought I had a really well balanced diet until I started tracking everything and looking at the nutritional values in the charts!
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I bought potassium supplements because it always says I'm so low in potassium... But I have low sodium too so I guess that's good.