Newbie here..

Options
shanster23
shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
I'm just about to start stage 1.

My question is, as I have 20lbs still to go until goal weight-
do I start the program now, whilst on a deficit, for any tiny benefit I might get?
do I stop the deficit, even though I still have a whole 20lbs to go, and raise my cals?

I know it's bad to rely on the scale but at this stage I still get slightly demotivated when I gain any weight as I'm just barely in the healthy BMI range (which I know I also should ignore but it's hard...)

I've also only just recently upped my cals (the whole eat more to weigh less) since I was eating way under 1200. Raising them again so soon is slightly scary! Still trying to convince myself that more calories is a good thing.

Advice, please? :) should I focus on mainly deficit + fat loss until I'm at goal or will adding muscle now work better in the long run?

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am (and have been forever) close to goal. I did not lose any pounds while eating at the NROL recommendations, but I have had incredible changes to my body, so it's all good to me.

I am making a push while I'm in Stage 7 to lose a few more pounds and hopefully the excess fat that remains around my middle, so I've dropped my calories down to MFP recommendations again. I had raised my calories during Stage 6, which coincided with the increase in availability of cookies and alcohol around the holidays. I'm pretty sure that I did gain a bit of muscle during that time.

I would recommend doing Stage 1 through 3 at the book recommendation, and adjust from there depending on the results you get.