Anyone experience shoulder blade pain that radiates?

Options
CanGirl40
CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
I just started stage 4 last week and it went great. However, a couple of days after workout B I developed a burning pain that seems to begin in my back around my left shoulder blade and radiate downwards and upwards. It also feels painful in my left glute and down my left leg...

It's so weird because there was never any specific "twinge" or even soreness after the workout, which makes me wonder if it is even the workout at all....?

I'm going to see a massage therapist tomorrow and will need to see doctor if it doesn't let up...

I've never had this issue and wondering how anyone else dealt with it...

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts;

Pinched nerve - it would be hard to get both pain in upper torso as well as lower extremities - glute and leg could be sciatic - but would need second nerve pinch for torso pain

or it could be

Shingles - have you had the chicken pox? any rash - bumps - pimples - blisters along the pain track?

If it is shingles the faster you get on meds the faster the pain will diminish - If it is shingles you are contagious to those who have not had either the pox or the vaccine!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt your shoulder to lift your left arm straight out to your side? Or to do a rotation that's kind of the opposite of the cuban snatch (arm out to side with elbow at shoulder level, hand in fist and pointing toward the ceiling; keep upper arm level and rotate your fist down towards the floor)?

I ask because I get radiating shoulder pain sort of like what you're describing, and it causes rotator cuff problems (makes the rotation I described above VERY painful). It sometimes flares up when I do a lot of pushups or planks, like in workout 4A, or prone cuban snatch with too much weight, like in 4B. Massage helps tremendously - my usual therapist typically has to work out 3-4 good-sized knots in my shoulder blade to release it. Biofreeze, ibuprofen, and stretching (especially putting fists below ears with thumbs pointing down and trying to touch my elbows together in front of me without moving my hands) also help.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt your shoulder to lift your left arm straight out to your side? Or to do a rotation that's kind of the opposite of the cuban snatch (arm out to side with elbow at shoulder level, hand in fist and pointing toward the ceiling; keep upper arm level and rotate your fist down towards the floor)?

I ask because I get radiating shoulder pain sort of like what you're describing, and it causes rotator cuff problems (makes the rotation I described above VERY painful). It sometimes flares up when I do a lot of pushups or planks, like in workout 4A, or prone cuban snatch with too much weight, like in 4B. Massage helps tremendously - my usual therapist typically has to work out 3-4 good-sized knots in my shoulder blade to release it. Biofreeze, ibuprofen, and stretching (especially putting fists below ears with thumbs pointing down and trying to touch my elbows together in front of me without moving my hands) also help.

Interestingly enough I had just started workout 4A and B when it begain!!! I went for a massage today and it worked WONDERS. Tons of knots. Took some ibuprofen and tried your stretch. Going for another massage next week. Hopefully will resolve itself. Already feels 50% better...

Thanks for your responses...relieved to know I'm not alone!!!

What is biofreeze???
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Biofreeze is very similar to IcyHot - it's a menthol rub to ease sore muscles. It can be a bit more expensive, and harder to find, but I don't think it "burns" as much as IcyHot.

I get mine from my massage therapist. Some places will even apply it during your massage for an additional cost (about the same as adding aromatherapy at the place I go).
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be your sciatic nerve? I have issues with mine sometime, literal pain in the butt! Going to my doctor who is a DO and does back manipulation helps. My hip is usually out when that happens.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be your sciatic nerve? I have issues with mine sometime, literal pain in the butt! Going to my doctor who is a DO and does back manipulation helps. My hip is usually out when that happens.

This is what I was thinking, that the line down the butt and leg sounded like sciatic. Make sure that you're getting some really good stretching time.