How does the Body Revolution plan work?

Options
a_new_dawn
a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
Body revolution is 90 days long and is split into 3 "phases" or 3 separate (4 week) months if you like.

Each phase contains 5 routines - 4 "workouts" and 1 "cardio". These routines rotate for the entire month, before switching to a whole new set of routines (great news if you're the sort of person who gets bored quickly!).

Your first and second week would look like this:

Mon - workout 1
Tue - workout 2
wed - cardio 1
Thurs - workout 1
Fri - workout 2
Sat - cardio 1
Sun - rest

weeks 3 & 4 follows the same pattern as above but includes workouts 3&4 instead of 1&2.

The following months also follow the same pattern but again, the workouts are changed depending on the week - weeks 5 and 6 will be workouts 5 and 6, week 7 and 8 will be workouts 7&8 and so on.

Each cardio disc lasts an entire "phase" (or 4 weeks).

The workouts typically last about 30 minutes, and you would do one workout per day UNLESS you choose to do the optional kick start week. This includes 2 workouts per day, one in the A.M, one in the. P.M. You will do the above workouts as scheduled in the morning, but you will also have an additional session of "cardio 1" in the afternoon/evening. Yes, that does mean on Wednesday and Saturday you have to do cardio 1 twice!

The workout is designed for all abilities, there are various modifications for different moves.

Your DVDs will come with a resistance cable, but you will need some handweights. You need at least a heavy-ish pair and a lighter pair, but i find that a variety is better if at all possible (eg I'm using 1.5kg, 2.5kg & 4kg)

Jillian also includes her own designated meal plan with recipes for you to make. This is typically a 1200 calorie per day diet. A list of the foods to eat more of and those to avoid are on a separate thread in this group.

For more information please go to www.jillianmichaelsbodyrevolution.com

Replies

• kirk1115
    kirk1115 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Should I log the cardio dvd as "curcuit training"?
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Should I log the cardio dvd as "curcuit training"?

If you don't have a HRM then yes, i would recommend you log all the workouts/cardios as "Circuit training, general"

I did see one person logging the the Cardio DVDs under "Aerobics", due to the cardio giving a bigger burn than the workouts...but i can't comment on the figures the database gives and the difference between the two, as i've never logged under the "aerobics" category. All i can say is that on average i burn around 50-60 calories more during cardio sessions than i do in workouts. Hope this helps!
  • LValyear
    LValyear Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    how would you categorize the other workouts (non cardio)?
  • UpandRunning2013
    UpandRunning2013 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Could anyone tell me what kind of resistance cable the dvd comes with as I have the dvd but without the cable? Thanks
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    how would you categorize the other workouts (non cardio)?

you could log workouts under: "circuit training, general" and for cardios : "Aerobics".

i would just use "circuit training, general" for all of them though.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Could anyone tell me what kind of resistance cable the dvd comes with as I have the dvd but without the cable? Thanks

i don't have the original BR one either but the one i use is very much like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Resistance-Tube-Only-PE-Bag-Strong-Dark-Blue-Handle-/290867576645?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Exercise_Fitness_Fitness_Accessories_ET&hash=item43b90eff45

i will say though, that mine is a little bit tight for some exercises, I'm thinking a medium resistance one would be better.
  • UpandRunning2013
    UpandRunning2013 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice re cable. I bought one today just like the one in the link you included in your post but by luck of the draw got the weak resistance cable as stupidly didn't even think to ask about strength. After seeing your post and and trying it out I am thinking that maybe it is too easy. I am going to take it back and get a medium one.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Thanks for the advice re cable. I bought one today just like the one in the link you included in your post but by luck of the draw got the weak resistance cable as stupidly didn't even think to ask about strength. After seeing your post and and trying it out I am thinking that maybe it is too easy. I am going to take it back and get a medium one.

You could always wrap the cable around your feet an extra time to make it more taut.
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm new here. I intend to start body revolution on monday. After the kick start week, did anyone continue doing additional cardio? Also, did every follow the 1200 calorie limit. I intend to eat at least 1400 calories a day. I can't starve myself.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm new here. I intend to start body revolution on monday. After the kick start week, did anyone continue doing additional cardio? Also, did every follow the 1200 calorie limit. I intend to eat at least 1400 calories a day. I can't starve myself.

Hi Staci, welcome to the group!

have you done any JM before? I was just wondering if you were familiar will the intensity of her workouts?

i don't see any reason why you couldn't continue doing additional cardio if you feel able to it, as long as you are fuelling your body enough! I think 1400 cals would be very low in relation to the big burns of two workouts per day though.
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Hi Staci, welcome to the group!

have you done any JM before? I was just wondering if you were familiar will the intensity of her workouts?

i don't see any reason why you couldn't continue doing additional cardio if you feel able to it, as long as you are fuelling your body enough! I think 1400 cals would be very low in relation to the big burns of two workouts per day though.

Would I be able to lose weight just sticking to the 30min program?
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Most definitely!

alot of people (me included to begin with) think that you have to eat alot less and workout like a madwoman in order to lose weight, but that simply isn't true!

of course, you do need to eat well, but i think that's where MFP macros play a big part - 1400 cals of junk food isn't the same as 1400 cals of "cleaner" eating (fruit, veg, protein and an occasional treat).

There is a brilliant group here on MFP called "eat more to weigh less" which i think every "dieter" should take a look at. There are people in there who are eating in excess of 1800 cals and are still successfully losing weight.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I would say 1800 total calories eaten is just about perfect. I have a bodymedia link and it has me at a 1510 cal base but then i need to stay at a 1000 cal deficit and since I usually burn 2800-3200 calories in a day (this includes BMR) then I have to eat 1800-2200 which is very tough!
  • lad5144
    lad5144 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I would like to start JMBR this week, and I want to do the kickstart plan but I unfortunaltey could not work out this morning. Can I do Workout 1 and then Cardio 1 right after? Or does it have to be AM and PM?
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Hello all, I would like to start JMBR this week, and I want to do the kickstart plan but I unfortunaltey could not work out this morning. Can I do Workout 1 and then Cardio 1 right after? Or does it have to be AM and PM?

I did the workouts back-to-back and so have a couple of the other BR members!
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this group. I luv JM and I've been a fan of 30 Day Shred for a couple of years. I'm doing another round of 30DS as we speak.
    My question-- I'm looking for my next work out and had considered Ripped in 30, but one of my MFP friends said I should look into Body Revolution.
    Would luv some feedback from folks that have tried both.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    So glad I found this group. I luv JM and I've been a fan of 30 Day Shred for a couple of years. I'm doing another round of 30DS as we speak.
    My question-- I'm looking for my next work out and had considered Ripped in 30, but one of my MFP friends said I should look into Body Revolution.
    Would luv some feedback from folks that have tried both.

welcome to the group!

i have mixed feelings about ripped in 30, although i did lose around 7lbs and a number of inches on it, i didn't think i got such great results.

BUT

my friend, also on MFP and a fellow BR-er (mariposa224) did it and got wonderful results.

i was disappointed that didn't get the "ripped" result i was hoping for, but i think this was because i still had quite a few pounds of body fat to lose. Plus i guess everyone achieves different results anyway! For me, six week 6 pack was the ultimate workout that gave me great changes!

Body revolution, for me has been a much more enjoyable workout, i like how it changes up so often, but i cant comment on losses as I'm in maintenance so am only toning.

so BR or RI30? Two main factors between the two are:

cost - BR probably costs about 10x as much as RI30!
    time - Ripped lasts 30 days, BR lasts 90!

Quite a difference!
  • TracyTX
    TracyTX Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, How is it going on your JMBR? I am starting this coming Monday March 25th. I plan on doing 6 days Monday to Saturday. You want to be buddies on this?
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Hi, How is it going on your JMBR? I am starting this coming Monday March 25th. I plan on doing 6 days Monday to Saturday. You want to be buddies on this?

I'm on my last day of BR tomorrow, but there are plenty of other BR buddies here who are at various stages of the program. We are all happy to support you on your journey!
  • debbie6868
    Options
    i ordered it an mine should be here n the 25th also.