breakfast advice?

Options
tigertrax3
tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm officially starting next weekend when my husband brings his weight lifting equipment back into the house, but i've already been practicing squats, lunges, higher protein diet, etc.

My question involves breakfast. I like to workout first thing in the morning. In the past i would usually eat oatmeal, or something high in carbs, but the author says thats not a good idea for pre lifting? Did i read that wrong or misunderstand?
I would also like to say i'm not a breakfast person and would rather go until about 10 before i eat even though i wake up at 6.
Should i fast before my workout and eat something filling right after in place of the post workout snack or should i eat something right before i lift?
And if i should eat before i lift, what are some good examples, beyond what he included in the book?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4.45am, on the way to the gym I eat a breakfast bar and drink a protein shake after my workout.
    I do not have real breakfast till around 8am when I get to work.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oatmeal (no prepackaged instant stuff) with fruit is great before lifting. Try to eat a little bit of protein too. I add blueberries and cinammon to my oatmeal.

After lifting, eat some protein within 30 minutes. Hard-boiled eggs, chicken or turkey breast, tuna, steak, whey protein shake, etc. Try to consume at least 20g of protein for breakfast. Time isn't a huge issue. I'm not hungry first thing in the morning either.
  • aquajen77
    Options
    I like to make a PB Mocha Banana smoothie before I lift. I blend 1 cup milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 TB peanut butter, 1 tsp cocoa and 1 tsp instant coffee together. Sometimes I also add in some dry oats.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't have breakfast before lifting BUT I typically will eat Old Fashioned Oats with half a scoop of protein powder for breakfast on lifting days.
  • tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! I appreciate your input. I'm really looking forward to starting.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I do better if I lift before eating anything. I agree with what the others said- just get a good complex carb and protein in.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5:30am and don't eat anything beforehand...maybe I should to see if I have more energy...? I always eat my "breakfast" right afterwards - usually a protein bar or shake...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Most days I drink a protein shake (mixed with coffee) first thing and then have breakfast later. I work out in the afternoons and have a light snack like a piece of fruit a half hour or so before lifting, and then have a protein bar afterwards.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I eat a piece of toast with butter, even though I'm not hungry. I find I get too weak not eating, especially on the days where there's lifting and cardio. I usually eat a protein bar or have a shake after working out which usually makes me too full for lunch, which then makes me want to snack mid afternoon, which makes me too full at dinner. So sometimes I skip the after workout food and eat lunch an hour later after my shower, as long as I'm not shaky after the workout.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    I work-out fasted everyday, and I don't work-out until lunch-time! So, do what pleases you.

I used to buy into the "need fuel to work-out" hype, but my body just doesn't WANT to eat in the a.m.! Now that I've returned to the "skip brekkie" club, my fat is finally dropping off and my work-outs are just fine.

You really need to find out what works for you. *If* you find you really do need some fuel to make it through your work-outs, I like bananas and peanut butter!
  • feelgoodnic
    feelgoodnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I usually work out at 6.30am on weekdays. I'm normally not hungry at that time but I've found my gym session suffers if I go in on an empty stomach. I have a small banana usually- I might not eat all of it. Then I have my protein shake afterwards with oatmeal and peanut butter.

On weekends I usually go about 10-11am and have an apple and a cup of tea beforehand. Then I come home and have a nice big protein-packed lunch/brunch!
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I work-out fasted everyday, and I don't work-out until lunch-time! So, do what pleases you.

I used to buy into the "need fuel to work-out" hype, but my body just doesn't WANT to eat in the a.m.! Now that I've returned to the "skip brekkie" club, my fat is finally dropping off and my work-outs are just fine.

You really need to find out what works for you. *If* you find you really do need some fuel to make it through your work-outs, I like bananas and peanut butter!

I do the same. Always try to workout fasted. Burns fat!!