I get to watch Black belt testing tomorrow!

Options
Actually My son and I were both invited to spar with the canidates as part of their testing. My 8yo boy (Blue belt) will be fighting a 12 yo girl and I will be Fighting 3 different canidates. A 30yo woman, a 41yo man and a 73yo man (he is a bad *kitten*) Really looking forward to it and honored to be chosen as their sparring partner.

Replies

• Grafty
    Grafty Posts: 28
    Options
    Grading with the higher grades is a great insight into fitness, stamina, skill set / mind set you need to be at, I love it, also a honor to join in as a sparing partner. I think the oldest person in our club is 55yo Black belt, but i think your fellow student at 73yo top's the age scale! think that's motivation for all those in your club, and i would love to be bada$$ at that stage of life !!

I have the same scenario in May, but i hope not to be a punch bag with legs...think after all the bag work, Kata, kihons and then exercises their energy levels will be slightly spent ! Other than being a sparring partner i will be videoing the grading for all to have.

let use know how you and your son gets on !
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    That's great that you were chosen to participate in the grading of your fellow students. Have fun!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the day!!

In our club training with Black Belts is the norm. Grading with them...no. Our Black Belt gradings happen just twice a year at one grading centre in Bristol. Observers are welcome, but usually it's just the Instructors, family and friends of those grading
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It was amazing and even a little emotional . The one woman and the little girl are mother and daughter so that made it even more special. They defiantly earned their belts one them took a pretty good head kick and got knocked out but she recovered and finished strong. At the end they had to talk about how TKD has changed their lives it was super interesting having the point of view from a 73yo war vet and a 12yo girl with a dead beat dad. My son brought his a game and was by far the toughest opponent.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    That is great you guys got to help out..sounds like a pretty good day for everyone!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    So happy to hear it went well. What a great experience for you!
  • Grafty
    Grafty Posts: 28
    Options
    Brilliant, Surprising how much we take away from the higher group gradings ! Happy it went well !
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It was amazing and even a little emotional . The one woman and the little girl are mother and daughter so that made it even more special. They defiantly earned their belts one them took a pretty good head kick and got knocked out but she recovered and finished strong. At the end they had to talk about how TKD has changed their lives it was super interesting having the point of view from a 73yo war vet and a 12yo girl with a dead beat dad. My son brought his a game and was by far the toughest opponent.
    So glad to hear it went well. We have an 80yr old at our club, who's a 6th Dan, I was in tears at the speech he gave at the last Black Belt Dinner we had where he was given his new ranking and belt, all about how much TKD had an impact on his life.

Simply put, I love my training!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Wow! Have yourself a blast. Your endurance must be spectacular. I get winded after sparring one round, but I'm working on that.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    That's cool. In our system, tests are closed to observers. Only the candidates and testing board allowed. At this point, I would love to see what a black belt test looks like!
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    That's cool. In our system, tests are closed to observers. Only the candidates and testing board allowed. At this point, I would love to see what a black belt test looks like!

I wish ours were closed..they encourage spectators..that makes me nervous :bigsmile: