Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anybody have any weight loss tips for peri- menopausals?

2»

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Bump, I am too tired to check out the links. Hopefully tomorrow.
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Bump for name' too. Have gained all I lost over the last year and really need to get the wight under control.
  • I have calculated the BMR on this site and the TDEE on the other site. It tells me my TDEE is 1880 (calories per day?) I was eating 1200 cal/day and exercising once to twice per week, as my schedule allows. I was afraid I might be eating too little, so for the past week I have upped it to 1300 cal/day. I have gained 2 lbs on average in the past week, go figure.

Problem is that as long as I diet and exercise regularly I don't gain any weight, but I don't lose any either. If I eat a little more or exercise less, I gain weight. All I have to do to gain weight is not exercise and it doesn't seem to matter how much less than my BMR/TDEE I eat. You'd think that eating 500-600 cal/day less than my BMR/TDEE I'd lose about a pound per week and with exercise maybe a little more, but no.

I have a friend who is losing, but she gets up at 4 am every day, does INSANITY workout, also does an intense Karate workout two nights per week, eats a vegetarian diet and not much else. That doesn't work for me and I couldn't keep up the pace or the schedule.

I try to eat low-carb, low-fat, reasonable calorie meals. I try to avoid red meat, but do eat chicken, turkey and fish, eggs, milk and cheese, in addition to plenty of high-fiber, low carb foods. So eating less doesn't work, eating more doesn't work, exercising needs to be more, but hey, I have a job, go to school and have a family. There's only so many hours in a day and I'm sleeping 8 of them no matter what, working 8 of them 5 days/week and fit a whole lot into the rest of the time.

I know EXACTLY how this feels. Following the "numbers" the best I could. Hitting my goals everyday. Working out an hour or more EVERY DAY, and eating well, and I either maintain forever, or gain a pound or two. If I stop caring to workout, or watch my food, I definitely gain. I lost 5 pounds when I first started this site again, in earnest, then gained 3 back, without really changing what I was doing when I lost the 5!... and there it stays, no matter what I do. It is sooooo FRUSTRATING, and depressing. :(
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    I hear each and everyone of you. I have never had such challenges losing weight. Nor, have I ever worked SO HARD to have so little results. I was fed up.
    It is not for everyone and I get it that people think taking "a pill" should not be and is not the answer to their problems - but not me. I went to a weight loss clinic and got a prescription for phentermine. In one week I lost the same 5 pounds that I have been losing and gaining for two months of restricted calories and exercise. And then hit a new low. Because it has a diuretic effect, I think much of that was water. I also do not expect to lose at that rate.
    Using appetite suppressants work in the short run and take planning and discipline to work long term. I feel confident I can do what it takes to lose and the weight and then, more importantly, keep it off.
    Just my experience. Hoping I can share it on this board without being flamed.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    I hear each and everyone of you. I have never had such challenges losing weight. Nor, have I ever worked SO HARD to have so little results. I was fed up.
    It is not for everyone and I get it that people think taking "a pill" should not be and is not the answer to their problems - but not me. I went to a weight loss clinic and got a prescription for phentermine. In one week I lost the same 5 pounds that I have been losing and gaining for two months of restricted calories and exercise. And then hit a new low. Because it has a diuretic effect, I think much of that was water. I also do not expect to lose at that rate.
    Using appetite suppressants work in the short run and take planning and discipline to work long term. I feel confident I can do what it takes to lose and the weight and then, more importantly, keep it off.
    Just my experience. Hoping I can share it on this board without being flamed.

I understand why you'd go get some phentermine. Losing weight after menopause has been such a different animal than it was prior. It's taken me just over a year to get to goal-ish. I exercise one and a half to two hours a day. Every day. Without that much exercise maintenance calories for me, at age 46, is in the 1500-1600 range. What I'm going to do when it drops even further with age I do not know. I'll likely end up with bariatric surgery down the road unless something changes drastically. I just cannot see being able to keep this up indefinitely.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    So glad I am not alone. . .
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Well here's an update from me - almost six months later. Still cannot get the weight off. I don't know what I have to do. Was thinking of trying something to help me jump start like Slim for Life or complete nutrition. I just hate spending money. Dr. wanted me to go on Lexipro and a friend told me she lost her meno-pausal weight on it. But I didn't like the way it made me feel and it gave me headaches which I never get headaches. And I've heard from different people it made them gain so it wasn't a guarantee anyway. I know I just need to get into a routine on working out and eating habits - its really hard to stick to it and stay focused when you don't see the results though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Well here's an update from me - almost six months later. Still cannot get the weight off. I don't know what I have to do. Was thinking of trying something to help me jump start like Slim for Life or complete nutrition. I just hate spending money. Dr. wanted me to go on Lexipro and a friend told me she lost her meno-pausal weight on it. But I didn't like the way it made me feel and it gave me headaches which I never get headaches. And I've heard from different people it made them gain so it wasn't a guarantee anyway. I know I just need to get into a routine on working out and eating habits - its really hard to stick to it and stay focused when you don't see the results though.
    It's frustrating, isn't it?
    I've given up on calorie counting as my solution. I'm going to aim for maintenance for a while and eating very a la South Beach (whole grains, fresh vegetables, lean meats, low fat dairy). I decided that counting and seeing no results is frustrating so I might as well not count and see no results.

I'll just keep following those south beachy like principles and see if I can maintain. And I'm trying to mix things up with my weights and running. And I've added pilates. I maintained for 12 years following those principles, perhaps with all the extra exercise I'll maintain.
    And got a fitbit. And MAN do I walk a lot.:indifferent:
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    It is the hardest ever. I have found the only thing is just getting used to hunger. Food cannot be my crutch for the second half of my life. I have lost 6 pounds in three months. I have been exercising like crazy, little to no sugar, and drinking water. I have hot flashes at night and wake up so dehydrated I can hardly get out of bed. On those days, I cheat a little and skip exercise. On normal days, I really just keep pushing. I know I have to get this weight off now because the "settling of my body" does not need to happen with 60 extra pounds. I told my hubby that I have been trying to lose weight since I was thirteen years old and I guess I will continue until I am 113 years old.

Our bodies were designed to withstand famine and the like. We live in a time of crazy abundance. The invention of deep frying and pie making probably did not affect it's own generation, but it sure has affected me.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    It is the hardest ever. I have found the only thing is just getting used to hunger. Food cannot be my crutch for the second half of my life. I have lost 6 pounds in three months. I have been exercising like crazy, little to no sugar, and drinking water. I have hot flashes at night and wake up so dehydrated I can hardly get out of bed. On those days, I cheat a little and skip exercise. On normal days, I really just keep pushing. I know I have to get this weight off now because the "settling of my body" does not need to happen with 60 extra pounds. I told my hubby that I have been trying to lose weight since I was thirteen years old and I guess I will continue until I am 113 years old.

Our bodies were designed to withstand famine and the like. We live in a time of crazy abundance. The invention of deep frying and pie making probably did not affect it's own generation, but it sure has affected me.

Deep Frying and Pie Making :bigsmile:
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    I hear you Sabine -- I have to take breaks from calorie counting when I see no results because its counter-productive for me. I did what you are doing - cutting out processed food and focused on just eating real food and exercising for about 3 weeks. I saw results and felt better and then we started getting busy and I lapsed for two weeks so I'm back to the good old fasion MFP way - but in my stats and logging and trying to exercise and eat back some but not all of those calories and I'm not going to stress over it - or become obsessed with it - just going to try to stay on a good track until the Winter months. If I see no results by then I will have to do something even if its joining something like Slim4Life because I am not going into another Spring with this extra weight!

I don't have the hot flashes and still have regular periods, I just get really moody and bloaty about two weeks before I am scheduled to start.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member

Deep Frying and Pie Making :bigsmile:
    :laugh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I hear you Sabine -- I have to take breaks from calorie counting when I see no results because its counter-productive for me. I did what you are doing - cutting out processed food and focused on just eating real food and exercising for about 3 weeks. I saw results and felt better and then we started getting busy and I lapsed for two weeks so I'm back to the good old fasion MFP way - but in my stats and logging and trying to exercise and eat back some but not all of those calories and I'm not going to stress over it - or become obsessed with it - just going to try to stay on a good track until the Winter months. If I see no results by then I will have to do something even if its joining something like Slim4Life because I am not going into another Spring with this extra weight!

I don't have the hot flashes and still have regular periods, I just get really moody and bloaty about two weeks before I am scheduled to start.
    Yep. I've been eating this way for 10 or 12 years and will just keep it up. And keep moving more than I used to. I can't think what else to do lol.
    I'm using bio-identical progesterone and estriol now (and the scale has gone up a tick), and the hot flashes and night sweats are MUCH improved (for the time being) and I haven't had a migraine since adding the estriol (knock on wood).
    If only the scale would cooperate!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    ...because I am not going into another Spring with this extra weight!

This!!! I have managed to lose 20 lbs since June, but have stalled for the last month. This is a set point for me, so not sure what it will take to get past it. I do not want to gain those 20 lbs back over the winter like I do most years. :grumble: Here is to holding strong until Spring! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 767 Member
    This. I also fractured my hip a couple of years back and when you can't exercise and you sit at a desk, it's pretty easy to not do the things you need to do including the way you eat. It seems to me that there is a lot of good information out there that works - better for some than for others but that's also why there is so much out there. Everyone is slightly different (gee who knew) and at least in my perception, it seems that what works really well for one of us may not work as well for someone else. I was doing great for a few months then got pretty off track. Just now getting back at it and have some thoughts on some things that were working. I'll keep you posted. I do some exericse 4 to 5 days a week at lesat. We just moved (over the weekend) so most of my exercise has been packing/unpacking and cleaning. But routine, when I eat and size of the meals as well as what I eat seem to make a pretty significant impact. My range of motion is somewhat restricted these days so I'm working on the things I can and can't do as well.