In need of a gluten free dish for potluck

Options
I'm hitting my head against a wall trying to think of something for a potluck. I have lots of potatoes (I have tons!)I want to bring something that everyone else would bring I like to be creative. (Even though those juices are not flowing). Our last potluck everyone brought dip and bread! (Even though mine want homemade bread ans dip there was so much of it from everyone) Anyways spread the love and help a gal out if you can! If you have any other great gluten free potluck ideas that do not involve potatoes that is totally awesome as well!

Thanks!

Replies

• 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Rice Pudding makes a great (but high calorie) potluck addition...and it's GF!

…a special recipe passed down from my mother-in-law whose family comes from Malta.

Ingredients:
    1 gallon whole milk
    1 ¾ cups white sugar
    2 cups medium grain white rice (wash rice well prior to using)
    3-4 teaspoons vanilla (extract or powdered) Be sure to look for GF vanilla
    4 large eggs
    cinnamon and salt, to taste

Cook gallon of milk over medium heat in a large pot (stir frequently). Once milk comes to a boil add sugar and rice. After adding rice and sugar, return to a rolling boil and then reduce to low-med heat (continue stirring). Add the vanilla and cook until the mixture thickens (about 30-40 minutes). Vigorously stir in pre-beaten eggs. Add salt and cinnamon to taste and serve. Serve hot or cold.

The secrets that everyone else leaves out:

1. Frequent stirring really means constant stirring. Grab a magazine or a book and consider yourself stuck in place with your arm moving for an hour.
    2. Use a wooden spoon. Maybe it’s voodoo, but I think it makes a difference.
    3. I prefer high-quality, powdered vanilla as opposed to vanilla extract. I use Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Powder made by Nielsen-Massey.
    4. You know that the batch has thickened adequately when the consistency is like potato soup.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you want to use the potatoes, something super easy would be roasted potatoes and veggies. Chop up potatoes, bell pepper, carrots, onion, other root veggies... And then drizzle with oil and dash on your favorite spices (I like rosemary, savory, basil, black pepper), or even easier--use a marinade or vinaigrette dressing. Toss to spread the spices/dressing, then roast in the oven for about 30-45 mins (depending on your oven). You can add other veggies, but if they are more "delicate" (like broccoli), wait about 10-15 minutes before adding them in, as they don't need as much time.