Squat Form Check

Options
If any of you have time, I'd love to get some feedback on my squat form. This is the first time I have ever taken video of my lifting form. Therefore, I consider this iteration number 1 of my effort to improve form.

The video was taken on the third cycle of Stronglifts 5X5, Workout A. I used my warmup set with the bar only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xHoMEjEBTU&feature=youtu.be

My own thoughts after watching the video:

1. I think I need to go just a bit lower to get to parallel.
2. I am still looking up on some of my reps.
3. I don't feel confident that I understand what is meant by "hip drive" and using my glutes and hamstrings yet...

Any other thoughts and constructive criticism would be appreciated. I don't mind staying with smaller weights until my form improves.

Thank you in advance.

Lowell

Replies

• Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert and probably need to take and post a similar video but aside from what you said it looks to me like you need to arch your back a little more and get your chest out farther?
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above assessment, it seems that your upper back bends a little bit in the way back up from squat position. The bar should be more on your shoulders/back than your neck. . Make sure the you keep your weight off the balls of your feet and push through your heels. Doing those two things will keep your spine in a better position and force you to use your glutes/hams and engage the "hip drive". You could drop your but a little more, I actually "bounce" at the bottom of the squat and use that momentum to start my hip drive.
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the feedback.

I meant to add that I thought the bar was too high - and you caught that too - and it's because I still need more flexibility in my shoulders. I'm doing the shoulder dislocation stretch that Mehdi suggests to work on it. It's getting better.

Thanks for the tips on the chest/back/hips/butt/etc. I definitely appreciate it.

Lowell
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another squat form thread on here but in case you missed it- I found it very helpful.

http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-squat-parts-1-5/
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another squat form thread on here but in case you missed it- I found it very helpful.

Great resource!
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think you've already received some good feedback, but I want to add my 2 cents. There are a few areas you could improve in your form, and I believe they are all related. The first is that the bar is too high on your shoulders. I know you said you are working on your shoulder flexibility and that should help a lot. Because the bar is high it is slightly throwing off your center of balance and causing your back to roll to compensate. This off-balance will put more pressure on your quads and not utilize your posterior chain which is necessary to go much lower and get the hip drive you are referring to.

I hope you don't mind I captured a screenshot to try and show what I am saying:

bfkfo1.jpg

Ideally that bar should be directly over your feet and not in front of them. You are strong enough that you are able to support it as is, but getting everything in line will really make a difference in the long run.

e9vvb9.jpg

I hope this helps. My source is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you again to all of the responses, and to the new responses since my last reply.

I don't mind at all that you took a screenshot. VERY HELPFUL!

I went and watched the video again and definitely noticed that the bar is too far forward. I think I have more weight on the balls of my feet. I seem to recall Mark Rippetoe talking about driving up with the weight on your heels.

I did 30 kg yesterday and my hamstrings were actually a little sore. I know that's not proof that my form got better, but it's the first time my hammies were even sore at all.

I'm planning to video again and do a comparison.

And yes, the arm /shoulder flexibility is still a HUGE problem for me. I'm doing the shoulder dislocation stretches every time I lift, but I think I need to do them more often. It works for now, but at some point the weight will be too heavy for my current grip. And I think it prevents me from pushing out my chest also.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I find it amazing that I can post a question here to a complete group of strangers and get so many helpful responses. The power of a community!

Thanks.
    Lowell
  • Slamdunkpro
    Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
    Options

This is a great video