Peri-menopause and belly fat

Options
13»

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and done with menopause. The problem with the belly fat is trying to buy pants that fit. The waist is too tight and the rest of them are too big. My daughters are always telling that my pants are too baggy int the butt. Anyone else with this problem? I won't wear elastic waist because I feel like my mother and my kids say I'm not old enough for elastic waist. They keep me young.:smile:

No baggy pants!:noway:
    I've bought "leggings" style pants that are stretchy like sweats but tailored to look clean and not baggy, plus they are super comfy!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    "There's no strong data to show that weight gain is related to menopause," says Margery Gass, MD, executive director of the North American Menopause Society. "There are age-related weight changes that affect everyone, men and women." For example, a slowing metabolism makes it harder to lose weight, and women need to eat less and exercise more just to maintain their weight. Hormonal changes can make it difficult to stick to a healthy weight, but they don't cause weight gain, Gass says.

Once you hit perimenopause, the good, lean muscle mass with the faster metabolic rate is depleted, says Christiane Northrup, ob-gyn and author of The Wisdom of Menopause. "Everything changes. That's why you could be the same weight as in high school, but the fat replaces the muscle and takes up more room and weighs less."j
    ^^ This
    I am in menopause the last 6 years after hysterectomy and I still experience the hot flashes, mood swings and all the rest. i cannot say that MP is a walk in the park but: I am glad I can experience it and I am glad that now I'm feeling more like a real woman than ever before. I have to move and workout every day and watch what I am eating and how much, but my belly fat is on the way to where it belongs, somewhere else :bigsmile:
    I have to work hard for this but i do it because I want to be healthy and feel happy within myself. Exercise also helps me with the mood swings. Menopause is not my enemy, it's my trainer and I don't see it as negative any more:wink:
    Your approach to the problem is the key to solve it :flowerforyou:

Thank you :flowerforyou:

"...where it belongs, somewhere else...":bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    On my second year post menopause...heck yeah i gained weight during menopause! Then I read "The Menopause Makeover"... Great read. I lost 45 pounds in 2011. I now, at age 54, weigh less than I did at age 19,. I wore a junior size 13 jean then, now i wear a size 6.

Another great book to read is "Ballet Beautiful"... I now am into barre 3, lots of walking .

Had a total hysterectomy in November 2011...I just requested "The Menopause Makeover" from the library. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    One more comment. I had symptoms when I was 40! My gyno said I was too young to even discuss it! Please don't let anyone tell you that you're too young! Everyone is different.

That is total bolognia...when I was in my early 40's my doctor told me I was getting in touch with my hormones...I told him I didn't want to touch them. He did not see the humor! :laugh:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    One more comment. I had symptoms when I was 40! My gyno said I was too young to even discuss it! Please don't let anyone tell you that you're too young! Everyone is different.

That is total bolognia...when I was in my early 40's my doctor told me I was getting in touch with my hormones...I told him I didn't want to touch them. He did not see the humor! :laugh:

Yeah, okay buddy:noway:
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and done with menopause. The problem with the belly fat is trying to buy pants that fit. The waist is too tight and the rest of them are too big. My daughters are always telling that my pants are too baggy int the butt. Anyone else with this problem? I won't wear elastic waist because I feel like my mother and my kids say I'm not old enough for elastic waist. They keep me young.:smile:

Oh gosh, YES!!! "Regular" pants are impossible (without tailoring, which I'm too cheap/broke to pay for "fat pants") if they fit my waist they are huge in the butt/thighs -- which particularly bites because I don't have much of a butt to begin with! :laugh:

If not for the wrinkles on my face one would think I was 6 months pregnant - UGH!!!

Anyone here do 30 Day Shred and/or Zumba? I've just gotten both DVDs in the mail and am hoping A) I can do them without passing out, and B) that they may help to reduce this Buddha Belly.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    .nydj fit great! I can wear the straight leg or legging style - verry flattering! I worked hard to lose all that weight and i am not givibg up jeans!
  • lspanhake
    Options
    I like your attitude!!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Oh, for exercise i wear a nike fuel band and take as many walk breaks and stairs as i can... I also like wii fit yoga but also like the on line workouts with barre 3... Serious core work standing up in many of the routines... I hate crunches...
  • beatingmenopause
    Options
    Hi Ladies

I'm 52 and post menopause and about to launch the world's first monthly on-line magazine dedicated to all phases of menopause.

It's a not-for-profit social enterprise with the aim of bringing the world's best experts into one place to share the best possible advice for this very challenging time of our lives.

Having been through perimenopause myself I was totally shocked at the lack of reliable information, and let's face it, every single woman on the planet will go through it and we are virtually ignored! I aim to put that right :-D

Please feel free to add me as a friend :-D and if you have any questions you would like to ask I will be very happy to help you :-D

Menopause doesn't have to be hell,

Alison :-D
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Hi Ladies

I'm 52 and post menopause and about to launch the world's first monthly on-line magazine dedicated to all phases of menopause.

It's a not-for-profit social enterprise with the aim of bringing the world's best experts into one place to share the best possible advice for this very challenging time of our lives.

Having been through perimenopause myself I was totally shocked at the lack of reliable information, and let's face it, every single woman on the planet will go through it and we are virtually ignored! I aim to put that right :-D

Please feel free to add me as a friend :-D and if you have any questions you would like to ask I will be very happy to help you :-D

Sound great!
    Let us know the website for your magazine:smile:
  • lorih307
    Options
    Does the Menopause Makeover still work if you've been through full-blown menopause years ago? I went thru menopause at 40 and am now 49, still carrying that flabby, giggly middle and the ole' cottage cheese thighs! Yuck!!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    @ lorih:
    I think so...
    On my second year post menopause...heck yeah i gained weight during menopause! Then I read "The Menopause Makeover"... Great read. I lost 45 pounds in 2011. I now, at age 54, weigh less than I did at age 19,. I wore a junior size 13 jean then, now i wear a size 6.

Another great book to read is "Ballet Beautiful"... I now am into barre 3, lots of walking .
  • beatingmenopause
    Options
    Hi Ladies

Sound great!

The holding page is live at the moment at www.thechangeexplained.com :-D the website will be live at the end of Feb and magazine launched shortly after :-D
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Hi Ladies

Sound great!

The holding page is live at the moment at www.thechangeexplained.com :-D the website will be live at the end of Feb and magazine launched shortly after :-D

Thanks! :smile: