Hair loss

Options
Ok so my vanity is gonna shine through right now. This is for any one who may have or are experiencing hair loss. Since I am pre-op and a little less than 2 weeks out from starting preop diet the question is about hair loss. I already shed a lot of hair before surgery. How much am I gonna lose after. So how much hair did you guys lose. Any tips besides getting in a certain amount of protein and taking biotin.

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    every one is different basically!

It ALWAYS looks way more than it is in the plughole! :bigsmile: i started losing about 14 weeks out and stopped about 8 months down the road,i cut my hair short before the op,i have really really thick hair and did not even notice on my head that i lost any! unlike the plughole and hairbrush and floors !! lol :wink:
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 6 months post-op. I started noticing hair loss about three months ago. It might have been happening sooner, but I didn't notice it until a small chunk of hair came out in my hand. Mine was really only noticeable to my har stylist and me. At this point, I'm finding less hair in the sink. I've been told that the hair does grow back.

One thing I didn't find out until after surgery is that we can't take pain medicine other than Tylenol unless it's in liquid form. While my arthritis pain has diminished, there are still days when I wish I could pop in a few ibuprofens!

I have to admit, the first six post-op weeks were the most difficult for me, but as I said before, I would do it all again in a heartbeat!
    Can't wait to hear how your surgery goes!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My hair since menopause has gotten really thin anyway and I already wear it short. Losing any more of it is really starting to bother me. I am running out today to get some biotin and my protein levels are pretty good now pre-surg. I am honestly thinking of buying me a short sassy little wig to get me thru the tough times. Trying to get my hair to hold a style now I s next to impossible and I am imagining it is going to be even more difficult post sx. I have been looking at Sherry Shephard's new wig line and she has some really cute styles. Prices are pretty reasonable as well.
  • Mystismom
    Options
    I think a wig is a great idea! Anything that helps build your confidence is worth it! My hair began thinning after about 4 months. It did grow back after about 10 months. The funniest thing is that although I have always had a natural wave to my hair, it grew back really curly! Thank goodness for flat irons!
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    Everyone is different when it comes to hair loss. I know many who swear by biotin. Making sure you take in enough protein also makes a difference. It never really bothered me and it did even out eventually. I did warn my hairstylist when I went in for haircuts though because when she was washing and cutting it you could tell.
  • florascarbrough
    Options
    I haven't had any hair loss. I am 13 months post op.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I only lose a few (maybe 5) when I blow dry and style my hair. My hair is thick, short, colored, and it is in great health. Just make sure and eat right and take your supplements and you'll be fine.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any hair loss problems myself. I may just be lucky, or it may be partly because I usually get about 120 grams of protein a day.

I did just this past week start taking biotin, since it can't hurt. Most of the biotin I found was in capsules, which my doctor told me may not dissolve fast enough in my new stomach to help. I had RNY. I finally found one brand that is a chewable. If anyone is interested, it's made by Solaray, and is a 5,000 mcg lozenge. And quite yummy.
  • Donyeil
    Donyeil Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am only three weeks post op and my hair have been falling out like crazy I have no idea what t do it seems like day after day more and more hair is falling out I wanted to lose weight but instead I am losing more hair then I would ever want to almost all of my edges are gone my head looks like a senior citizen lol I may have to just break down and get it cut I was thinking about braids but someone told me even those were falling out of her head like crazy this is a mess but i am however happy about the surgery outcome
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Biotin does not help your hair grow.

It helps to STRENGTHEN the hair shaft and nourish the follicles on your scalp.

I started losing hair about 3 months out and it stopped around the 8 month mark. I started biotin and it really helped with the appearance of my thinning hair and it has become a lot healthier, shinier and thicker. Did it grow? Nope. Has it started growing back? Yes, baby hairs, healthier than ever.

My best friend is a colourist and she advised me that calcium, vitamin D and biotin (which is also found in most shampoos, even store bought brands) will all help strengthen. Nothing will make your hair grow. Nothing at all. Ever. If you want your hair to grow back healthy and appear healthy, she also has me do olive oil and raw egg hair masks once a week, to stimulate the follicle as well.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I was keeping my protein up just fine when it hit a sort of terminal loss rate that left me crying in the bathroom one morning. It was the hormones; and I seem to have leveled off now but my hair was making me feel less attractive then being fat. My solution was to cut it off to make it look thicker as the ends were the worst and I could see new hairs trying to grow. My hair seems to be coming back thicker then it was pre surgery now but I'm still keeping it short until I'm about 2 years out.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    3 months out it started coming out. I have unusually thick hair. (My pony tail would fit between my middle and thumb finger when I made a circle, and that would be tight.) I have lost about half of my hair. It took four months (till 7 months post-op) to stop falling out. I cut my hair about two months ago into a longer bob (asymmetrical?) to help with the new growth. It's all coming back, and now I look like a troll doll, but I feel so much better about it. :)

Fear not, it will pass!
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Im 5 months post op and the hair thinning thing has not slowed down for me ;(
  • manda681
    Options
    Something to be careful about: There is a chance your hair may react differently to colors and chemicals post surgery. My hairdresser of 12 years (and maid of honor in my wedding next month) basically dissolved off the majority of my shoulder length hair about 2 weeks ago with a treatment that would have probably been fine before. I had to cut it to a length and style similar to Pink (the singer). I'm trying my best to rock the new style but it was one of the most shocking things that has ever happened to me, compounded by the fact I'm about to get married. Wouldn't change my surgery for the world, just trying my best to accept all that has come with it. Edit: I'm 4 months out from Lap-Band with Plication.
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I lost some but not much. My hair was super dark and when i wore it up you could tell really bad. so along with the new me, i also went blonde! You couldnt tell nearly as much, and it was so much fun. I am 2 years post op, and my hair is back in and i am back to being a brunette. :bigsmile:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I started taking biotin pre-op. There is no way to prevent some hair loss. Its gonna happen. I was really concerned about it too. The biotin wont prevent it from shedding, but it will help encourage new growth. I was convinced I was going to go bald! Guess what? I didnt :happy: It thinned...but it is now growing back in. I would say the heaviest shedding was between months 3-7. Now I have tons of new growth. Lots of little short hairs sticking up everywhere! I am not complaining though...its hair! The hair you will lose is *so* worth the benefits you will gain from better health. Make sure you pay attention to your protein intake and get in as much as you can. You will be fine!
  • NeewMee
    NeewMee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am less than two months post-op. I am lucky to have thick hair so thus far I haven't seen any significant change. Still losing what seems to be a ton of hair but I did that before surgery so...? I worry about how much I am going to lose too.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I started reall worrying about it neer 3 months out. Although others didn't see it, my DR but me on 1 biotin daily and it stopped it within 2 weeks. My dietician also stressed how important getting in all the protein is to avoid hair loss. Since then, I try my best to get in at least 60-65 grams every day if not more.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Nothing will prevent it. I started taking Biotin 3 months pre op and still take it at 7 1/2 months post op from sleeve surgery. I starting loosing hair around 3 months and it stopped at about 6 months post op. I did get my colored still and it didn't make it come out more due to this, I do go to a hairdresser to have it professionally colored. I read an article that the reason we loose hair is due to the low amount of nutrients we get right before surgery and right after surgery. What nutrients you are getting goes to other parts of your body to substain it.
    I even tried special shampoo for thinning hair and it didn't seem to keep it from not falling out.
    Thankfully I have thick wavy hair so it helped alot.
    It does grow back also!
    Good luck!
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    also, do coconut oil hair masks!
    massage (liquified) coconut oil into your scalp before you go to sleep and leave it in overnight.... it will keep hair strong and super healthy and will decrease thinning, breaking and split ends!