Just starting to eat more calories... reset necessary?

Options
Hello,
I am new here and am learning so much reading all the past posts. I have been an avid weight watchers follower/point counter for years, but ive gained a few pounds i cant seem to lose. I work out hard 6x week (HRM reads between 600 and 750 burned each day) and ive come realize that i am not eating enough to sustain those workouts, nor lose weight. I logged all my points eaten into MFP and it came up 1200 which is way too low, especially on a day ive worked out!
My question is, if i begin to eat more calories, is it necessary to do an official metabolism reset that ive read about? What are the benefits of doing one?
Any suggestions in favor of it or against are appreciated!
Thanks!
Chris
Edit Report Post Quote Reply

Replies

• amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Sounds like you've been undereating and over-exercising for quite a while? If you have, yes, you *should* do a reset. If you read ALL the stickies you'll get the information you need. Also go over to the EM2WL website where they have more info and a download if you want.

Good luck!
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Hi, a lot of people on here do suggest a reset.

I did not do one and have had great results, started eating more and lost weight right away. I was eating much too little for a year or so I'd say.

How long has it been for you? If it's been a couple years, a reset would probably be a good idea.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am new here and am learning so much reading all the past posts. I have been an avid weight watchers follower/point counter for years, but ive gained a few pounds i cant seem to lose. I work out hard 6x week (HRM reads between 600 and 750 burned each day) and ive come realize that i am not eating enough to sustain those workouts, nor lose weight. I logged all my points eaten into MFP and it came up 1200 which is way too low, especially on a day ive worked out!
    My question is, if i begin to eat more calories, is it necessary to do an official metabolism reset that ive read about? What are the benefits of doing one?
    Thanks!
    Chris

Are you working out hard 6 x week for the purpose of weight loss, or training for a triathlon? or some other purpose.

Excessive intense frequent exercise is a stress on the body and hormones.
    Diet is a stress too.
    You got other stresses?

All will fight weight and fat loss. Actually all will encourage muscle loss if done wrong.

Re-think the reason for that hard 6 x weekly and if it need be done.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing a reset. I didn't do one initially but my progress stalled after a few months and I wasn't seeing any changes both in terms of strength and weight/fat loss. So I started a reset at that point and wished I'd done it from the start as I probably wasted a few months in the beginning by not doing one.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Its up to you, but I would definitely figure out your TDEE (moderate activity and on the high end of those calories) and if your going to do a Reset slowly work your way up to those calories, or if your going to just do a cut and see what happens take a cut appropriate to what you need to lose.. so not much to lose not a huge cut.. if you got under 20 to lose ti shouldnt be 20%+.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks!
    Chris
    Edit Report Post Quote Reply

I was on Weight Watchers for many many years. As my points got lower I was forced to exercise so I could eat. I felt that WW was very restrictive. I now eat 1900-2000 a day and it is sustainable. I go to the gym for health benefits and I no longer have the mindset of having to exercise so I can eat. My recommendation is to begin eating more calories. You can do a reset or add calories each week. You will feel so much better and have more energy.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex weight weather too. Took me 8 months to get to goal and then stalled big time. No wonder as I was like you with daily burns and cal intake. I could never get a straight answer regarding eating more for my exercises. But then again I was about the only one in my group you actually did much. One night they suggested an exercise to keep moving......sit down and stand up 10 times from a chair.....omg!!!!!!

Any who I eat twice as much now and scales have been consistent for a while (with cm & fat loss tho) but have bought a fitbit and now realise that still on exercise days my deficit was too much. Since following a smaller deficit for the past 3-4 weeks I'm down 1.2kg.

So after waffling my personal advice would be either add weekly or reset but you can do it. My only problem is after being at WW that damn number(goal weight) sticks in my mind all the time...grrrr. During Christmas and after a long period of illness my weight went up 2kg. If I was still at ww it would be sad as I would have been out of my weight watchers lifetime goal and would have had to start paying every meeting which is wrong as I am actually smaller than I was 2 years ago and less fat!!!!!

Feel free to add as a friend as far as I'm concerned em2wl is the way to go:flowerforyou: