How heavy are the weights your using?

Options
brey1986
brey1986 Posts: 35 Member
I have done 30 day shred and ripped in 30, and I was using 3 lbs, and then bumped up to 5 lbs...Im on week 2 of phase 1, and I just started using 8 lbs weights. It is HARD. I can do it but it takes everything in me lol. Do you think you CAN go too heavy? I just wanna push as hard as possible to get the maximum results =]

Replies

• msh0612
    msh0612 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Today was day one for me. I used both 3 and 5 depending on the move. I will move up as I go....

Im sure that at some point you can get TOO heavy. haha

Just make sure that your form is still correct. I know sometimes when i get to heavy I will start to do the moves wrong. :)
  • Roboartist
    Options
    I am using 3 and 5 right now but I bought a basic dumbbell set that can go up to 20 per dumbbell, I can buy more plates if I want to go heavier. Right now I am too wimpy and out of shape to even think about that. In the videos I think they are using 5 because Jillian pokes fun that they must've hidden the 8s in one of them.

I don't know if you can lift too heavy, I guess listen to your body for what you can handle.
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I used 5.5lbs & 8.8lbs right through phase one. I had to buy a other set of 3.3lbs for certain moves in phase 2 - which Jillian prompts. Apparently there are exercises in phase 3 that use 3lb-ers too. I would also like to buy a heavier set for deadlifts/rows, maybe 10's?

i think you definitely need a variety of weights if at all possible. You shouldn't be struggling to lift them off the floor but you need to feel the resistance. I think they say the last few reps should be fairly challenging. I agree its just about listening to your body.
  • wade78
    wade78 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i use 3kg (each) weights all the way through. I do have some 1.5kg weights on standby just in case the moves get too hard but I havent used them yet. I am still in Phase 1 WEEK2 so this might change!
  • brey1986
    brey1986 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    alright I feel better =]
    I have a set of 3, 5, 8, and 10 and I do switch them some...like for warrior pose...I only hold out 3s ..all deadlifts are 8-or 10 if Im feeling good...good mornings, I hold 2 8lbs Im wondering if that is why my weight is staying the same? I bet im just building muscle because when I look in the mirror I think im noticing changes, but the scale is the same
  • JABGoochie
    JABGoochie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i have been using 1.5kg (3lbs) and 2.5kg (5lb) - but some moves i find these too easy so i have ordered some 5kg (11 lbs) weights - hoping they will be delivered at the end of the week

i was really worried at first as jillian was on about 20s! and i was thining 20kg OMG - then i realised it was lbs she was talking about! lol
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    These are the weights that are used in the workouts:

Light - 3lbs

Medium - 5lbs

Heavy - 8lbs
  • Roboartist
    Options
    I have compiled a short list of reasonably priced dumbbell sets. My set it similar to the first set, purchased at the same store. It might get censored so the shop is called D I c k s Sporting goods.

Most of these sets are under US $100 with a couple even being under $50. I just find these adjustable sets more convenient and easier to store than the prettier rubber coated weights that you buy a specific weight. Those also feel more like real weights to me than those colorful ones that look like some toy or prop from the Jane Fonda aerobics video era. The set I bought I could buy more 5 pond plates and increase the weights as needed because theft fit universal iron plate weights.

I think the Kmart set looks like a great option if you have a tight budget. $24.99 for 40 pounds of weights. Hope if you don't have weights or are looking for options that these might help you.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11225574&ppp=57&cp=4406646.4413986.4417719.1597595

http://www.kmart.com/impex-dumbbell-set-40-pound-1-set/p-080W027210150001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

http://www.amazon.com/Most-Popular-Dumbbell-Sets/lm/R1X1OL2IDJT27X

http://www.amazon.com/Confidence-Fitness-Adjustable-40-pound-Dumbbells/dp/B00367NC3G/ref=cm_lmf_tit_12

http://www.amazon.com/Confidence-Fitness-Adjustable-40-pound-Dumbbells/dp/B00367NC3G/ref=cm_lmf_tit_12

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cap-Barbell-RSWB-40TP/11089974
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I have 2, 3, 5, and 8's. I usually use my 3's and 5's, though I do use 8's for deadlifts, good mornings, chest flies and the bicept curls. The 2's I used to use for anterior shoulder raises when doing Shred, though I haven't had to use them too much with this.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I gave my 2s to my daughter, along with my copy of 30DS to get her started. So I have 3s, 5s, & 8s. I use the 8s mostly, but that's because I had all ready worked up to them. There is at least one move that I used my 5s for, but I don't remember what it was, and I don't rule out using them in the future, just depends on how I do as I progress with the program. :happy:
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    I gave my 2s to my daughter, along with my copy of 30DS to get her started. So I have 3s, 5s, & 8s. I use the 8s mostly, but that's because I had all ready worked up to them. There is at least one move that I used my 5s for, but I don't remember what it was, and I don't rule out using them in the future, just depends on how I do as I progress with the program. :happy:

I struggle even with 3's on the weighted superman :blushing: (WO6)
  • mariposa224
    Options

Not sure what she does in that one, but there was a Superman move using just one weight in Killer Abs and I had to use a 5 for it. And it was still really hard. lol
  • a_new_dawn
    Options

Not sure what she does in that one, but there was a Superman move using just one weight in Killer Abs and I had to use a 5 for it. And it was still really hard. lol

i noticed you said superman with 5's was "really hard" rather than "impossible" ......:noway:

show off!!!!!! :tongue:

lol just kidding, its brilliant if you can manage that... Another reason for you to remain my inspiration!! :flowerforyou:
  • mariposa224
    Options

i noticed you said superman with 5's was "really hard" rather than "impossible" ......:noway:

lol just kidding, its brilliant if you can manage that... Another reason for you to remain my inspiration!! :flowerforyou:
    Hahaha Well, the one in Killer Abs was a superman, you have one weight in your outstretched hands, you reach around your back, weight in hand, passing it to your other hand, bringing it back to the outstretched position, then circle back around. On the second set you go the opposite direction. And at first they were nearly impossible and I'm pretty sure I told her to go f*** herself... lol After doing it for two weeks I could usually make myself do 8-10 going each way. It was extremely difficult. But it took me till toward the end to get that many in. At first I was struggling, trying to get to 5 each way...
  • a_new_dawn
    Options

Hahaha Well, the one in Killer Abs was a superman, you have one weight in your outstretched hands, you reach around your back, weight in hand, passing it to your other hand, bringing it back to the outstretched position, then circle back around. On the second set you go the opposite direction. And at first they were nearly impossible and I'm pretty sure I told her to go f*** herself... lol After doing it for two weeks I could usually make myself do 8-10 going each way. It was extremely difficult. But it took me till toward the end to get that many in. At first I was struggling, trying to get to 5 each way...

oh right, i get ya, that's a new one on me.

the superman in wo6 is just your standard on your tummy lifting legs and arms up at the same time, but with a weight in each hand. I tried with 5.5's at first, couldn't even get them off the floor! Managed a couple with both hands on one weight but wanted to do it properly so bought another set of 3.3's... And still struggled! In the end i told her where to stick the weights and did it without. Its a stupid move anyway!! :grumble: if i wanted to be superman i would just go an buy a cape!
  • mariposa224
    Options

oh right, i get ya, that's a new one on me.

the superman in wo6 is just your standard on your tummy lifting legs and arms up at the same time, but with a weight in each hand. I tried with 5.5's at first, couldn't even get them off the floor! Managed a couple with both hands on one weight but wanted to do it properly so bought another set of 3.3's... And still struggled! In the end i told her where to stick the weights and did it without. Its a stupid move anyway!! :grumble: if i wanted to be superman i would just go an buy a cape!
    That sounds downright awful. lol I guess we'll see how I do with it once I get there. :laugh: