Going Insane Pt 6: Time to recover...

Options
BigDougie1211
BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
So, Insanity Month 1 is complete ( except it's not - I still have a recovery week ahead of me )

All things considered, I think it's gone very well.
I started off optimistically enough, but somewhat nervously.
It's a tough work out and I'm a big lad.

Would I be able to cope with the intensity 6 days a week?
Would injury riddled history repeat itself?
Would I get bored after a week?
Would I stay in bed rather than getting up to train?
Would I be able to find the time among my other commttments?
Would I just dislike the program?

The answers are a resounding Yes, No, No, Sometimes, Yes and No!

I won't lie, it's been tough at times.
The alarm goes at 6 am and I've only been in bed for about 5 hours.
It's cold, it's early, I'm tired and the last thing I want to do is get up and train.
But I can honestly say, without fear of exaggeration or lie, that when I've finished my session, especially those I've had to force, I've felt a lot better because I did it.
I may be sweating, I may be exhausted, I may be cursing in between breaths, but I'm glad I saw it through.

I'm at a point now where I think I can say that the novelty has worn off and I'm looking forward to the work outs because I genuinely enjoy them. My body has changed a little over the last few weeks.
Look, I'm never going to feature in an Insanity Ad, but week 1 was punctuated by nothing but rests, flailing limbs and heavy breathing.
Now, I'm working hard, consistently and efficiently.
A few examples might illustrate the extent of change here.

I've lost 7 pounds ( which to be fair is a small percentage of what I need to lose ), but my body shape has genuinely altered. On Saturday I'm going to a birthday party in a shirt I got for Christmas 2011. This will be my first time wearing it.

I'm faster and more agile. Last night I was supervising my football teams training. We were using speed ladders and when I had a word with one of the boys who was slacking off, his retort was fairly standard - it's easy to criticise when you're not doing it. So I made him a deal, we raced though the ladder drills twice. If he won, we went straight into a game, if he lost, he ran laps. ( Insanity suits the ladder drills )
HE RAN LAPS!!!

Basicaly, I'm happy with my progress so far and I'm really looking forward to month 2, even recognising the possibility of "difficult 2nd album" syndrome
I know I'm never going to be in an infomercial or have a 6 pack. I won't be as fit as I was when I was 20, but I'm proud of where I am and how far I've come in a short space of time.
I've consciously committed to my training, I've had to organise my time better and I've had a lot of welcome encouragement from this site.
The next step is to clean the diet up beyond just counting calories....ROLL ON MONTH 2.

Replies

• miriamg3
    miriamg3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! =) I'm 4 days away from my recovery week...and I definitely agree that getting out of bed even when you don't want to is definitely worth it! I haven't lost weight yet but I feel SO much stronger! =D I definitely need to work on cleaning my diet for the remainder of the program but I'm super happy with my progress as far as my stamina! Once again, great job BigDougie!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Great job bigdoug and miriam:wink:

I am on day 25 and am still enjoying it. I feel so great after each workout. I noticed my body is not feeling achy anymore but I expect that to change when I reach month 2.

So far I have only lost 1 lb since starting insanity but have also lost inches.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Recovery week is a nice change up from the intense Insanity workouts, your body will definitely thank you. It gets boring towards the last few days, though.