Explaining Intermittant Fasting to Children

Options
This week I'm low in Paleo/Primal friendly foods and thought to myself that it would be a good time to incorporate intermittent fasting both to give my body a break and to save on food costs. The kids, however, were very concerned that I wasn't sitting down and having my usual foods with them. I couldn't figure out how to adequately explain intermittent fasting to them without them wanting to 'try it out' too. As a result I wound up eating high carb, processed foods that we had in the house for the kids. I know... I should get rid of all that, but I haven't made the switch 100% yet in our household.

I don't want to encourage the kids to do anything unhealthy for their developmental stage. Does anyone have experience how to successfully explain why it's okay for Mommy to skip a meal or two but not for the kiddos to do it as well?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My mom used to do it all the time when I was a kid, though as part of a starvation diet, not a healthy fast. She just said she wasn't hungry. We all thought "Sweet! More for us!" And that was all. It can also be ok to teach them you don't have to eat at specific times, just because it's a traditional meal time.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    All 'intermittant fasting' is is skipping a meal...

Not much to explain. Kids shouldn't be fasting, anyway - just make sure they're really hungry before feeding them.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Can you do your skipped meal when they're not around? Or run to the store and get some eggs?
  • sunnylv
    sunnylv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What is the research on allowing children to do intermittant fasting? I have a 12 year old and a 7 year old. They naturally fast anyway. Mine have "fasted" when they were too tired from all their running and playing that they crashed out before dinner.....thus a skipped dinner and they slept until breakfast. And then sometimes tell me they don't want breakfast. I know of some friends with children who fast through a lunch and donate that money (that they would have spent) to a charity. Surely it is not harmful.

I would be open to teaching my 12 year old about intermittant fasting. He is totally on board with Paleo. Is he too young?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You say, "I'm not hungry." This will teach your children not to eat when they are not hungry. You also sit down and enjoy meal time with them anyway but just have something to drink.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to sit with them as usual and just have broth. Your kids are apt to see it as soup, and although it's not quite fasting, it is still light and giving your digestion a break. And if you make it yourself, you don't have to worry about a high sodium content.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You say, "I'm not hungry." This will teach your children not to eat when they are not hungry. You also sit down and enjoy meal time with them anyway but just have something to drink.

^^^ This is better than my answer. :)