How many warm ups?

Options
Slamdunkpro
Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
For those that have been on the program for a while, how do you step your warm ups? I'm on week 3 and have 90 lbs on the squat bar. I've been doing 2 sets with just the bar then the 5x5 work weight. When do you add additional intermediate warm up steps? Every 50 lbs? Every 30?

Replies

• oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    In Mehdi's workout video he does one set with just the bar, one with 90 lbs and then loads on the working weight of 135 lbs. As a suggestion, you could do justg the bar, 60 lbs and then 90.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    As I posted in the other thread....I do some light cardio and ballistic stretching to break a light sweat. For the squat warmup I do 5 fast and 5 slow reps with the empty bar to get the joints lubed, then I do a set of 5 with about half my working weight and that's it. When I get to 225 (I've been up to 300 in the past), I'll do a another set of 2-3 with 175 or so. I find the squat sets warm up the entire body, and for the other exercises I just do a light set of 5 to groove the movement. I suffered a back injury in the summer, and I'm working my way up very slowly, and I won't reach 225 until April. At 52yo, I want to give the joints and tendons all the time they need to adjust to the weight increases. I'm loosely following the program, but doing the same workout every 3rd day...at my age I think I need the extra recovery. For the overhead presses, I do 2x8. I also substitute 2 sets of RDL's instead of DL's, and do them every other workout. I do seated cable rows instead of the bent rows as those really aggravate my back. I also do some ab and calves work each session.

Additionally, I bike commute to work weather permitting and include yoga a couple times a week. I don't really like yoga, but it keeps me flexible.
  • ELCABRA
    ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For me I vary it like Wiser said, I have an app that generates warm ups based on the work weight and they are usually 2 set of empty bar then 2 sets of 3 and one set of 2 all increasing weight 10 to 20% depending on what work weight is set. I usually bypass the third and do one set about half my work weight and it seems to work just fine. I follow the same routine for the other exercises as I consider the warm up reps as part of my workout.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Right now while squatting 235#, my warmups are 2x5@45#, 5@95#, 5@135#, 5@185#, I try to keep the steps between 40 and 60 Lbs per step... I am considering removing the 45# warm ups because at this point it's more like doing cardio then lifting.
  • Slamdunkpro
    Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For me I vary it like Wiser said, I have an app that generates warm ups based on the work weight and they are usually 2 set of empty bar then 2 sets of 3 and one set of 2 all increasing weight 10 to 20% depending on what work weight is set. I usually bypass the third and do one set about half my work weight and it seems to work just fine. I follow the same routine for the other exercises as I consider the warm up reps as part of my workout.
    Is this the Stronglifts app?
  • ELCABRA
    ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is on Android and it's a free one called Liftbook
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like light weight for higher reps to grt loose then as it gets heavy, triples and singles. This saves your energy for the work sets.
    Squats today was 135x8 185x5 225x3 then work sets of 290. When I get to 300 I'll add a 275 single. After 350 I'll add a 315 single.

Bench I do bar x 20 95x10 135x5

When I was lifting heavy I'd finish bench warmups with 185x3 225x1 275x1, going up by adding a 25 or 45 to each side till my working weight.