Homemade Mayo

Options
alaskaang
alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
Just thought I'd share. I hadn't tried making homemade mayo yet because of all the failed attempts I've read about, and the mess of getting out the blender or food processor. But I'm trying to clean up the 20% and soy or canola based mayo just don't cut it. So I made some homemade olive oil mayo this morning using my immersion (aka stick) blender. I modified a recipe posted on theclothesthatmakethegirl quite some time ago based on some of the comments.

1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 t salt
1/2 t garlic (original recipe called for dry mustard)
1 cup olive oil (I used EVOO, but unless you really like the strong, scratch the back of your throat, olive taste you'll want to use light almost flavorless oil)

Just dump everything in a quart size canning jar, mix for about 30 seconds with the stick blender, and done. No waiting for eggs to get to room temperature. No slowly drizzling oil. Super easy and almost no mess.

Replies

• catmarto
    catmarto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recipe, but I'm confused-- so you recommend using olive oil as opposed to EVOO? or you recommend EVOO? sounds like you used EVOO but did not like the result?? in which case, have you tried it with Non-Ev- olive oil and recommend that?
    TIA for clarifying!
  • kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    Options
    I've read that avocado oil and macadamia oil are good. I made may the other day with half olive oil half coconut oil. It was pretty bland. I dislike the straight flavor of coconut oil, it's overpowering yet bland at the same time. I like cooking with it, but the flavor on it's own is pretty unappealing to me. I think I would have enjoyed it with 100% olive oil. I wouldn't go for any light-tasting olive oils because it's probably cut with something like canola or equally icky. Or super refined so the flavor goes away.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to try this tomorrow!
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I tried making my own a couple weeks ago but it came out really runny so didn't work well for the dip and stuff that I wanted to use it for. Was going to try it again this weekend. I wish I had an immersion blender! Not even sure what you would use one for beside this :D
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I've found that I needed to play with the spices for my mayo. I do 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon of dry mustard. Then I make the mayo, I put half of it in the fridge and the other half I beat in a 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper for spicy mayo (nothing is better with sweet potato "fries").
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    one thing about mayo..there are no whites in the recipe,only yokes.yokes should be at room temperature as well(I'm a chef btw)
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    try this with avocado oil and olive oil..preferably not extra virgin as the taste can be quite strong and put some people off.make sure to season well with salt and pepper and also lemon juice is best for acid and a bit of water if you need to thin it down
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I make this whole egg mayo recipe using light olive oil in a food processor. I'm a little more generous with the spices. You have to drizzle the oil really slowly. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-egg-mayonnaise/
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recipe, but I'm confused-- so you recommend using olive oil as opposed to EVOO? or you recommend EVOO? sounds like you used EVOO but did not like the result?? in which case, have you tried it with Non-Ev- olive oil and recommend that?
    TIA for clarifying!

I don't recommend EVOO for most because it's really bitter. You know that strong scratch the back of your throat flavor/feeling that some EVOO has? Making it into mayo amplifies it big time. I don't mind it and am mostly using this mayo to mix with my tuna or as a dressing base. But if I wanted to use for something else it would be too strong of a flavor, not really like traditional mayo at all.

@anjelevil - Thanks for the tip on the yolks only.

@ajourney - An immersion blender is great for smoothies, to mix/puree soups and sauces in the pot, and even for soap making.