February Challenge

Options
demilade
demilade Posts: 402 Member
January was all about keeping your body moving every day. February is going to be about mixing it up and trying new things.

Your challenge for this month is :

PART 1 - Try 2 new forms of exercise. It might be a class or a machine at the gym you have never used. It doesnt have to be at the gym. try boot camp or dancing or swimming, what ever you want. All my local gyms and classes do free trials, so maybe look into that as well :)

PART 2 - Try 2 new healthy foods you have never had before. It can be something from the green grocer, or a strange new item from the healthfood shop.

This month we will challenge ourselves and get some variety in our routine to keep us interested and motivated. What will you try?

Replies

• demilade
    Options
    Part 1 - I am going to try a ubound class at the gym - its an entire hour class on a mini trampoline :)
    I am also going to try Insanity.
    Last night I did mixed martial arts for the first time, but that doesnt count becuase its January still :)

Part 2 - I am going to try Quinoa. Its supposed to be high protien and low calorie, and can be cooked savoury or sweet.
    I am going to try tofu. I will have to look up a recipe for it :)
  • pancakesmajor
    pancakesmajor Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Part 1 - I am going to try a ubound class at the gym - its an entire hour class on a mini trampoline :)
    I am also going to try Insanity.
    Last night I did mixed martial arts for the first time, but that doesnt count becuase its January still :)

Part 2 - I am going to try Quinoa. Its supposed to be high protien and low calorie, and can be cooked savoury or sweet.
    I am going to try tofu. I will have to look up a recipe for it :)

OOOOOh my the trampoline class sounds fun! I think I would sprain an ankle though lol.

Quinoa is delicious! We use it in place of anything with rice.
    THIS style is really good http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-with-asian-flavors/ (although we use vegetable broth instead of chicken, and Bragg's Aminos instead of soy).
    And THIS is good too http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spanish-style-quinoa/ (we use organic chopped tomatoes instead of tomato sauce and add black beans to it as well)
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, the food part might be the harder part. I was thinking Quinoa first off but then my girlfriend had posted an article that made me feel guilty (something about how the natives from where Quinoa originates from can't even afford it anymore).
  • Ashellini
    Ashellini Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! I also use it in place of rice. I think I would like to try kale. I eat almost all other veggies/fruits and that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head that I have never eaten.

In terms of exercise I am going to stick with my women's kickboxing circuit and going for walks on the days I don't do kickboxing :)
  • pancakesmajor
    Options
    Hmmm let's see. This challenge is hard because I feel like I was experimenting with different exercises last month lol. Okay here goes:

Part ONE: I keep wanting to try the Les Mills Body Combat class but still haven't gotten around to it, so that will be my first one. I guess the second one will be the Body Pump class, something I've always wanted to try but have been too intimidated to attempt.

Part TWO: The first food that I want to try is mashed cauliflower. I keep hearing on the forum boards that it is a great alternative to mashed potatoes. We don't eat many starches besides summer squash, so it's not like we're really missing mashed potatoes, but it might be worth it to mix it up a little. Some info on the benefits of cauliflower: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=13

Speaking of squash, I think it's finally time for us to try spaghetti squash. Lots of people recommend it in place of pasta. It's a low fat, low cholesterol food that is a good source of fiber. Here's a link with some recipes: http://www.fabulousfoods.com/articles/28577/spaghetti-squash-nutrition-facts-recipes and here's a link about the nutrition: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutrition-spaghetti-squash-vs-pasta-1817.html Interesting that it's not really healthier than pasta in some ways, but will still be an interesting thing to add to our meals.

Here are a few other things that I'd like to try, but have to see if they're available in Hawai'i.
    http://www.broccosprouts.com/index.htm
    http://www.homemadeharvey.com/home/#/Meet/
    http://www.artisanafoods.com/products/coconut-butter
  • pancakesmajor
    Options
    I love quinoa! I also use it in place of rice. I think I would like to try kale. I eat almost all other veggies/fruits and that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head that I have never eaten.

In terms of exercise I am going to stick with my women's kickboxing circuit and going for walks on the days I don't do kickboxing :)

Kale is awesome! This kale, bean and tomato soup is one of my favorite things to make with it, besides just eating it raw! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bean-soup-with-kale/
  • demilade
    Options
    oooh yummy. i might actually like it :)
  • demilade
    Options
    Celebrating Feb 1 with my first new class - a revolutionary toning and strengthening program. lol
  • PeaceLoveandFitness140
    Options
    I am working on a challenge with the group I started: Get or Die Trying Monthly Challenge Group.

Week 1: Abs

Feb. 1 - 25 Crunches, 25 Bicycle Crunches, 25 Mountain Climbers, 25 V Ups

Feb. 2 - 2 Minute Plank, 50 Crunches, 60 Sit Ups, 40 1 minute Flutterkicks

Feb. 3 - Rest Day

Feb. 4 - 70 Jack Knife Crunches, 60 Mountain Climbers, 30 2 Minute Flutterkicks, 3 Minute Plank, 70 Sit Ups

Feb. 5 - 80 Jack Knife Crunches, 55 Sit Ups, 4 Minute Plank

Feb. 6 - 60 Leg Lifts, 15 Double Crunches, 20 Toe Touches, 25 Mountain Climbers

Feb. 7 - 20 Scissors, 20 Double Crunches, 20 3 Minute Flutterkicks, 5 Minute Plank, 80 Sit ups, 5 Leg Lifts

Week 2 - 3: Cardio, Aerobics, etc.

Feb. 8 - 20 Side Bends, 30 Jog Kicks, Run in place for 2 minutes, 50 Jumping Jacks, 50 Push Ups

Feb. 9 - 30 X Lunges, Jump From Left to Right for 1 minute, 40 Push Ups, 20 Burpees, Run in Place for 2 Minutes

Feb. 10 - Rest Day

Feb. 11 - 100 Jumping Jacks, 40 Squat Jacks, 10 Leg Raises and Circles, 20 Knee in/outs, 30 High Jogs, Jumping Rope
    Without a Jump Rope for 2 Minutes aim for 100 jumps

Feb. 12 - 30 Heel Digs, 75 Walking Lunges, 60 Squats, 45 Push Ups, 55 PlyoJacks

Feb. 13 - March In Place and hold each leg to your chest for 2 minutes, Run in place for 3 Minutes, 50 Jump Kicks, 20 Squat
    Jacks

Feb. 14 - 55 Side Lunges, 20 Walking Lunges, 10 X Lunges, 60 Squats, 40 PlyoJacks, 12 Heel Digs, 25 Front Kicks With
    Squats, 30 Ice Breakers

Feb. 15 - High Jog In place for 5 Minutes, Punch the air for 5 Minutes while shuffling your feet using the 1-2 Punch method,
    Jumping Rope Without a Jump Rope for 5 Minutes, 10 X Lunges, 60 Squats

Feb. 16 - Front and Side Kicks for 5 Minutes, 60 Ice Breakers, 45 Push Ups, Punch the air while shuffling for 10 minutes

Feb. 17 - Rest Day

Feb. 18 - Right and Left Hook Punches for 5 Minutes, Front and Side Kicks for 10 Minutes, Punch the air while shuffling for 15
    minutes, 50 Walking Lunges

Feb. 19 - Do High Knees for 5 Minutes, 70 PlyoJacks, High Jog for 7 Minutes, 50 Heel Digs

Feb. 20 - Side Kicks for 5 Minutes, 60 Squat Jacks, 35 Squat Thrusts, 60 Heel Digs, Front and Side Kicks for 5 Minutes, 75
    Push Ups, 20 Walking Lunges

Feb. 21 - Combine all four kick boxing moves, 1-2 Punch, Front and Side Kicks, Right and Left Hooks, and High Knees. Do
    this in any order for 30 minutes, 80 Ice Breakers, 55 Heel Digs, 10 Squats, and 25 Walking Lunges

Week 4 - Feb. 22 - 23, 25-28 is Combo Week.
  • dointammy
    dointammy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    1) I'm for sure going to try A new srength training video I just bought I'm also thinkin about some type of dance video.

2) I've never heard of Quinoa but I'm curious so I'll try that and I'm going to try tofu.
  • demilade
    Options
    Is the proud owner of some quinoa. I'm going to make porridge with skim milk and berries.

http://www.closetcooking.com/2008/02/quinoa-porridge.html?m=1
  • demilade
    Options
    Yuck! Blech! Quinoa is OFF the food list!
  • demilade
    Options
    Ok quinoa I shall give you another chance as a dinner dish, don't let me down!
  • dointammy
    dointammy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ok quinoa I shall give you another chance as a dinner dish, don't let me down!

Good Luck:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • demilade
    Options
    It was much better! Cooked in chicken stock with some onion, garlic, corn and lemon.

So I have done 1 food and 1 workout. 1 of each to go!
  • pancakesmajor
    Options
    It was much better! Cooked in chicken stock with some onion, garlic, corn and lemon.

So I have done 1 food and 1 workout. 1 of each to go!

Hahaha glad you didn't give up on quinoa after the first meal. I really can't see eating it as a porridge either, and I love the stuff.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    KALE "CHIPS" ARE GREAT ALSO, COSTCO HAS LARGE BAGS OF FRESH ORGANIC BABY KALE , DRY IT IN THE OVEN. A LITTLE SALSA AND YOUR GOOD TO GO.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    REBOUNDING IS ONE OF THE BEST EXERCISES FOR YOUR LYMPS (YOUR TOXIC DUMP TRUCK) YOUR LYMPS DONT HAVE A PUMP LIKE THE HEART DOES SO 15 MIN OF REBOUNDING GETS THE JUICES FLOWING.
  • Ashellini
    Ashellini Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I tried the kale veggie salad that comes in a kit at Costco. It was delicious! Mind you I think the actual kale parts were the parts I wasn't so crazy about...but I love cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc so I thought the salad was really good. I will give kale another shot with the kale chips. I have heard lots about those and am always looking for healthy snacky foods.

Mmmmmmmmm quinoa! I have heard lots of people use it as a breakfast food but I too don't see it as that. It is great as a salad or a side dish. I love making it with curry spice, tomatoes and garlic as a side dish to chicken or fish :)
  • pancakesmajor
    Options
    I tried the kale veggie salad that comes in a kit at Costco. It was delicious! Mind you I think the actual kale parts were the parts I wasn't so crazy about...but I love cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc so I thought the salad was really good. I will give kale another shot with the kale chips. I have heard lots about those and am always looking for healthy snacky foods.

Mmmmmmmmm quinoa! I have heard lots of people use it as a breakfast food but I too don't see it as that. It is great as a salad or a side dish. I love making it with curry spice, tomatoes and garlic as a side dish to chicken or fish :)

Yum! That sounds great I'll have to look for it the next time I'm at Costco!