Recommendations for kids

Options
I have two boys I want to get started in some form or martial art. They are 6 and 7. We have a great local jujitsu school that is highly regarded but there are also several other disciplines to chose from. Can anyone make any recommendations or suggestions given their ages? So far I'm leaning towards the jujitsu school.

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Jujitsu is good, so is Judo, karate, and the list goes on. Just find something that they enjoy and have fun doing.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Both my son (who is 11)and i both practice Tae Kwon Do, which is a popular art (along with Karate) with all age groups. We have students at our school that are as young as 5 years old. But whichever art they wind up liking.....it'll benefit them both physically as well as mentally. Good luck Mike!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Being a student of Taekwondo and having three daughters that are black belts in Taekwondo, I highly recommend...(drum roll)
    Taekwondo. :bigsmile:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose, any life skill is a plus.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    TaeKwonDo is very common in conversation where I am at. My son is a yellow belt, he's been training since August. He's improving weekly. He's very strong, and fit. He LOVES it.

I've just recently joined a women's TKD class (I'm not training for belts, YET), and the workout is fantastic..

Find a good school, whatever you guys choose!! Most schools allow for a free week trial, let them try it out!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I too reccomend TKD and would DISCOURAGE Juijitsu the small joint locks and manipulation can cause damage to young bodies. Myself and My 8yo Boy do TKD and LOVE it!!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to find out what kinds of training, certification, credentials, etc. the instructor has. You want someone with experience under their belt, preferably with some sort of physical education degree.

For example, I train in krav maga in Israel. The main organizing body is KAMI, which is also in charge of krav maga training for the Israeli military. In order to teach krav maga as part of the organization, a person must reach black belt level, be recommended by their instructor, and complete several training courses at the national physical education institution. As a result, I trust my instructor to know how to keep me safe and teach me proper form (it also helps that he is the second-highest ranking member of the organization).
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I gotta recommendation for u kid,.. dont fight ME!
  • thecraigferguson
    thecraigferguson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For something different, I am going to recommend the Gracie Bullyproof curriculum. It is a program you teach to your own kids.

It is designed for parents with no martial arts experience. The DVDs are a bit pricey, but it is much cheaper than tuition at a club and it is loads of fun. The Gracie brothers are great teachers and their approach will actually help you with your kids in other circumstances.

I am a purple belt n BJJ, so I have a decent perspective on this and I can say the quality of the techniques taught is very good. But it is so easy anyone can do it!

To address the concerns of a previous poster, there is no small joint manipulation or chokes taught to kids. It is grappling fundamentals, with some large joint locks taught for self defense. If confronted by a bully, they are taught to talk their way out or flee first. If physically attacked, they are taught to take the attacker down and control them until help arrives or they agree to surrender.

At first the kids don't even know they're learning martial arts. It's just games. My daughter has been doing it for two years (she is now 6,) and she absolutely loves it. After 1.5 years she started going to my gym and the kids' instructor was blown away by her technique and control.

Try this game with your kids for fun and see if they like it. The "lesson" only has to last a few minutes. It's fun!

http://youtu.be/Az9XH0eajXI
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    For something different, I am going to recommend the Gracie Bullyproof curriculum. It is a program you teach to your own kids.

It is designed for parents with no martial arts experience. The DVDs are a bit pricey, but it is much cheaper than tuition at a club and it is loads of fun. The Gracie brothers are great teachers and their approach will actually help you with your kids in other circumstances.

I am a purple belt n BJJ, so I have a decent perspective on this and I can say the quality of the techniques taught is very good. But it is so easy anyone can do it!

To address the concerns of a previous poster, there is no small joint manipulation or chokes taught to kids. It is grappling fundamentals, with some large joint locks taught for self defense. If confronted by a bully, they are taught to talk their way out or flee first. If physically attacked, they are taught to take the attacker down and control them until help arrives or they agree to surrender.

At first the kids don't even know they're learning martial arts. It's just games. My daughter has been doing it for two years (she is now 6,) and she absolutely loves it. After 1.5 years she started going to my gym and the kids' instructor was blown away by her technique and control.

Try this game with your kids for fun and see if they like it. The "lesson" only has to last a few minutes. It's fun!

http://youtu.be/Az9XH0eajXI

That is a sweet system. I just want to clarify that i was in no way knocking BJJ I just have seen some half assed trainers that do not teach proper form and technique thus resulting in injured kids. We have a Gracie trained Blue belt(I think) running a local school that I would have no issue putting my 8yo in. This system that you mentioned above is really cool but one of the things I like about martial arts is the different point of view that my son gets from the instructor and with that system being taught by the parents you may lose that aspect of it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Over the last 38 years I have studied and taught several styles. I think the focus should not be on the style, but rather on the Teacher.

Put in a little time and go down to some of the local schools and watch the classes? See how the Teacher runs his/her school.

It's worth the time you put in.