2013 Indiana Runs

Options

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone at the Dino Series Trail Run at Eagle Creek yesterday (Saturday 3/9)!! You survived LOTS of mud and an icy section that was a uncomfortably close to a 15 foot drop into the reservoir. So much fun! Congrat to the DINO team too!!
    I was so bummed that they scheduled the Eagle Creek run against the Mini training series 10K, which I had signed up for first. Last few years I was able to do both.

Oh, well. Where's the next one, Anderson? Maybe I can make that.
  • bransmi0207
    Options
    Question about running! I have attempted it quite a few times but just get so discouraged. :( I was 308 lbs back in August when I decided to change my lifestyle. Right now I am down to 254. I feel like I still have too much extra weight to run like I would love to do. Does anyone else have this problem or have any advice? Does the C25K really work? Help!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Question about running! I have attempted it quite a few times but just get so discouraged. :( I was 308 lbs back in August when I decided to change my lifestyle. Right now I am down to 254. I feel like I still have too much extra weight to run like I would love to do. Does anyone else have this problem or have any advice? Does the C25K really work? Help!!

Congrats on your losses so far! That's great!!

I started running when I was around 220. It was tough. Moving that much extra weight put a lot of strain on me, not to mention the extra momentum it took just to "go". I'm at 181 now, and it's much easier. I regularly run 3-4 miles at a time. But, it wasn't till I got to about 190 that it started being so much easier.

My first suggestion would be to get the right shoes. Get fitted at a running store. When I started, I needed stability shoes because of my size. I ran in Brooks Adrenalines. They really helped my joints and the knee pain I was having. But, you need the right shoes for you. Definitely get fitted.

I didn't do C25K, but I wish I had - I think it would have helped me a lot. It probably wouldn't hurt to try it. And if you have to repeat a few weeks, feel free to do so. Just remember - whether you're doing a 7 minute mile or a 14 minute mile, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!!

The biggest thing that kept me going was signing up for races. I started with the 5K at the Mini Marathon, but I've done several others in Indy. There are always a variety of people running.....fierce competitors, older runners, heavy runners, walkers, men, women, etc. It's pretty inspiring to see everyone just get out there and give it their best. So, I would definitely encourage you to sign up for a race!
  • bransmi0207
    Options
    Thank you very much! :) My plan was to definitely sign up for a 5K soon!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Congratulations! I know it can be very discouraging. I had both emotional and physical barriers that I had to get past. I was 300 pounds (now 220) when I started walking/running. I remember the first few times at the gym I was very self conscious and stressed myself out. My solution was to start walking/running in a very secluded part of the wildlife refuge that I was fortunate to live close to. That's probably not a good idea for anyone nervous about creepy guys in vans (I did see a few) or snakes and bugs. However, it gave me enough psychological space to heal my self-esteem and realize no one really gave a sh** about the red-faced guy on the treadmill next to them. Then I went back to the gym. However, I needed to start out privately.

Physically, I started by deciding to walk in 3 mile (5k) sections. The pond that I walked around was 3 miles according to the park map. I would always start at the same place and pick an arbitrary object (duck) some distance away and try to run to it. If I made it I would be happy and walk the rest of the way. If not, I would choose a closer landmark and try again. The next day I would pick an even further object (oak tree) and try to run to it. Over the course of about 6 months I realized I could run the entire 3 miles. It was pretty slow running but I was still running!

When I went to the gym on bad weather days I did the same thing except I tried to pick an equivalent distance on the treadmill and try to run that much and walk the rest. If I was running 1/3 way around the 3 mile park loop I would try to run one mile on the treadmill and walk the rest.

A series of small goals meant a series of small victories. Once that clicked there was no stopping me. Now I am up to 15 to 18 miles on my long runs.

Lastly, I have to emphatically agree and emphasize what LoraF83 says about SHOES. Without my specific type of shoe I cannot run a single mile. I have tried other shoes and simply cannot do it. It hurts too much. Go to a running store like the Blue Mile and NOT Foot Locker. They typically do not know much about neutral/pronating/supinating/heel strike/etc. The Blue Mile in Greenwood will walk you on a treadmill and check your stride/arch to see which shoe you need. They are super nice and supportive people.

Have no doubts that you will do it. We all know you will. It just may take a little longer than you had planned.

See you out there.
  • LoraF83
    Options

Lastly, I have to emphatically agree and emphasize what LoraF83 says about SHOES. Without my specific type of shoe I cannot run a single mile. I have tried other shoes and simply cannot do it. It hurts too much. Go to a running store like the Blue Mile and NOT Foot Locker. They typically do not know much about neutral/pronating/supinating/heel strike/etc. The Blue Mile in Greenwood will walk you on a treadmill and check your stride/arch to see which shoe you need. They are super nice and supportive people.

Just wanted to add that there is a Blue Mile in Carmel as well.

There are a couple of other stores you can chose from too:

http://athleticannex.com/

http://www.runnersforum.com/index.php#sthash.zWhtuyVs.dpbs

and if you are closer to Lafayette,

http://www.tri-n-runlafayette.com/
  • bransmi0207
    Options
    Thank you very much! I can't wait to be running 15 to 18 miles! :smile:
  • bcmcwhi09
    Options
    Hi! I am new to the Castleton area of Indianapolis. I was wondering if anybody knew of any trails in my area to run on. Or if anybody was looking for a long distance jogging buddy for the spring. I run anywhere from 3-6 miles at a time.
  • Shannon15
    Options
    There is an Electric Run on October 5th at the State Fairgrounds... www.electricrun.com I just signed up this weekend. Time to start my C25K!
  • dwntwnpengrl
    dwntwnpengrl Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I did the C25K in December 1998 when I decided I was going to run a marathon for my 30th birthday. It worked. Though I'll say I took 12 weeks instead of 6 weeks. So week 1 was week 1 & 2 for me, week 2 was week 3 & 4. I got there eventually. And I was 250 when I started. I never really got "thin" when I was running. I was running up to 15 miles on weekend runs and the lowest I got was 225 but I sure did enjoy Einstein's Bagels at Broad Ripple Ave (just off the Monon).

You can totally do it. I ran my first and only marathon 3 days after my 30th birthday weight 230 and hated and loved every minute of it.

I've since had knee surgery (somewhat related to running) but I miss being a runner. So, get out and do it for those who can't!

I know that when I see people of size out running or exercising, I feel so happy for them - so yes, you'll be noticed, but in a good way!
  • dwntwnpengrl
    dwntwnpengrl Posts: 49 Member
    Options

A series of small goals meant a series of small victories. Once that clicked there was no stopping me. Now I am up to 15 to 18 miles on my long runs.

Have no doubts that you will do it. We all know you will. It just may take a little longer than you had planned.

See you out there.

Totally agree! Shoes make all the difference. I had to wear men's shoes when running. And I still rarely find women's athletic shoes that fit right (except in the ankle). I never would have tried a men's shoe had it not been for a "real" running shoe store.
  • coopscoopc
    coopscoopc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was eyeballing the biggest loser run as well... I am not sure I am up to it at this point. I had to give up running due to really bad shin splints. Doc wanted me to take 10 years off! So I switched up to an elliptical for a while... and after about 6 years I was looking at my treadmill one day, which had at this point become a beautiful coat rack, and I got on it. For the first time in 6 years (this was about a year ago) I got on my treadmill and chugged an puffed my way to 3 miles.

It was not pretty and it was not fast... but I was so happy to be able to run again... yes, my splints were screaming at times, so I am really working on repair.. funny thing is,,, when on the treadmill, my splints flare up, but I can run outside in the neighborhood and they not bother me at all. Weird right? So I bought a new elliptical because it has been nothing but crap weather in the area and as much as I love to run, I am not doing it with sleet hitting me in the face. :-)

I am waiting for spring to actually hit so I can run outside regularly but for now I get my runners high from the elliptical. I am curious to see how the work that I have accomplished over the winter will transfer outside to running. Right now I have a pretty good clip going and can elliptical for 45 minutes. Not sure I should sign up right away... do not want to set my self up for failure.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    For all those who are interested in the May 25th Color In Motion race, Groupon has a half-off registration fee offer right now. It's only on there for one more day, and it takes the entry fee from $50 to $25.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up! :)
  • missyjoy6988
    missyjoy6988 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is a good link. I am doing the mini this year. How about anyone else?
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    That is a good link. I am doing the mini this year. How about anyone else?

Check the mini thread...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/917901-anyone-else-doing-the-indy-500-mini-this-year
  • CaroleLynn65
    Options
    I just joined THE COLOR RUN in Indianapolis on July 20th....It will be my 48th birthday celebration party!!!!

http://thecolorrun.com/indianapolis/
  • Cheryl64
    Cheryl64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a newbie to this group. Just saw this thread and wanted to see if anyone is doing the Talk Walk on Sat at Ft Ben or the Best Buddies Walk on Sun downtown. I've signed up for both. If anyone is interested let me know, I would welcome a walking buddy.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Just wanted to spread the word about an affordable local race an hour north of Indy.

The Michigantown Fair will be having our 2nd Annual Goose & Gander Overlander on August 10th at 8am. The race is on a paved course with professional timing and online results. Entry is $15 and includes a shirt. The race was a part of the Michigantown Fair during the 1970's and 1980's and was revived last year. It's a small race, but we are trying to grow and are committed to providing a quality experience for runners and walkers.

More info can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/135835249955126/?fref=ts

http://www.michigantownfair.com/Goose_and_Gander_5K.html (online entry from here)
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    The wifey sent me a link to this Colts 5k that looks pretty cool..

http://nflrunseries.com/colts/