Getting through TOM

Options
lawyerette
lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
Hiya Ladies!!!

I hope you're all doing well this morning. I was responding to another MFP friend about battling weight gain and bloating around TOM and thought I'd throw it out to the group. What do you do to manage cravings while minimizing bloat and weight gain?? I'm sure we ALL can benefit from this discussion and I can't wait to see what you all do.
~
~
~
I told my fiance that if there's reincarnation, he's going to be the girl next time because TOM is for the birds! He replied that he's coming back as a shaggy dog that lives at a winery. Boo! Since that option won't help me (or you) now, here are some of my tricks (although I still do gain SOME weight monthly, which is NORMAL btw):

1. Bloat. To me, water retention really is the WORST. You may already be cramping and feeling icky... and now your belly is distended???! wtf? I complained to my sister about this and she told me that she quit taking OTC diuretics during pregnancy and nursing and had found JM's water recipe to be super effective. I tried it and she's right. WOW! It combines natural diuretics into your 64oz daily water regiment to help you flush out extra water you're retaining, including cranberry and dandelion. When I make it, I actually make hot dandelion tea and then cool it down to add in the other ingredients. If I'm going to be at the house, I store it in the fridge in a pitcher. On the road, just fill up empty plastic water bottles. Jillian Michaels' Detox Water recipe calls for 1-2 dandelion tea bags, 2 tablespoons cranberry juice (100% cranberry (no blends), low or no sugar, preferrably), and 4 tablespoons lemon juice. If this is too bitter, pick a detox tea or green tea or add a little splenda. If you don't want to use the detox water, just remember to definitely get your usual full water (1/2 your body weight (lbs) in ounces) every day. It will help!

2. Cramping. I'm sure everyone but me knew this long ago, but I've recently discovered how awesome a heating pad is. Heat on my low back or across my abdomen really works wonders when the cramps are getting out of control. Or a warm bath if you can tolerate it.

3. Cravings. Regardless of what I'm craving, I start with a tall glass of cold water and give myself 15 minutes. If it's chocolate that I want, I eat a fun size chocolate or hershey kiss (NOM!). I take it really slow and let the chocolate disolve in my mouth so I can really savor the texture and flavors. You might also try 100 cal packs of Milano cookies or Brownie Bites the same way. For general sweet or food cravings, I also really like the Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants Protein Chewy Bars (peanut or mixed nut). They aren't too terrible nutritionwise and are delicious with chocolate or carmel (170 calories, 8g fat, 9g sugar, 10g protein). Even if you just eat half, they are satisfying. Craving other things, like Italian or Mexican food can be managed by changing the way that the food is prepared so it's more veggies and less simple carbs. My recipes for low-carb chicken parm and chicken taco salad are in the 400cal dinner string.

Regardless of what you're eating, remember to take it slow to give your body the time to really enjoy it. I've read that most of the pleasure and satisfaction come from the first 2-3 bites of food. After that, your body is just on automation to finish eating. If you are still a ravenous fiend like I am, try something filling with protein or take a short walk to break the food interface and distract from eating an entire pie. If you have to gorge and can't stop it, I encourage you to gorge on healthier alternatives - whole grains, protein, nuts/fruits/veggies. And drink lots of water.

4. Rest and Relaxation. I find that I do better if I take some time for meditation or yoga. Sure, I'm sore and feel like a whale, but somehow connecting with myself really helps to alleviate some of the stress symptoms I used to get. Yoga is a very spritual experience for me and I feel more connected to the earth and to other women at the end of my practice. Regardless how you unwind, I find that treating myself extra in this area reduces my drive to satisfy my needs through food during TOM.

5. Exercise. I really detest going to the gym (especially circuit) during TOM because I feel so grottie. Last month, I just toughed it out and went and I was really surprised at how much better I felt getting at least some cardio in. Sure, I had to take it a little easier because of breaks to go to the bathroom, etc., but the muscle fatigue I usually get from TOM decreased. I would really encourage at least a daily walk to loosen up any extra muscle fatigue. I have also found that stretching is key to feeling better overall.

Last thing I'll say is that it is TOTALLY OKAY to have a day or two a month when you are super hungry or feel like absolute crap. It's part of our hormones and metabolism. Planning ahead to take care of yourself - both in eating and relaxation - will help pass TOM with less stress and anxiety.

Good luck ladies and hang in there! My TOM is in about a week, so I'll be checking back here to see what you all recommend!

~Ebeth

Replies

• Jill4165
    Jill4165 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Excellent tips! I really like the JM detox water recipe. I am certainly going to try that. I agree I feel so much better when I work out. It almost makes my cramps less intense. I have found that when I was heavier (like my heaviest 220 lbs) I had the worlds WORST cramps. I really think it had something to do with eating bad and not working out. Now they are still crappy but not near as intense as they used to be. Just more incentive to lose some more weight.
  • Fit_Is_Fabulous
    Fit_Is_Fabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I, luckily, have Mirena - so I haven't had a visit from Aunt Flo in over a year. But, I remember the horrors!
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the working out! This is something I'm struggling with currently as the TOM approaches so its great timing for me!

I am an after dinner snacker, so to curb that (during anytime!) I brush my teeth OR chew some gum (actually this works best for me after lunch to keep me from snacking). I find the dessert gum (creamsicle) works really well to keep my snacking at a minimum.

For cramps a hot water bottle and electric blanket are my fave things to help keep them at a minimum. The electric blanket also has come in handy for muscle aches I experience for the 3 days prior. I don't know what I'd do without that blanket...

The stuff we go through as women, eh?!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    My TOM is also coming up next week (or this weekend if it decides to keep coming early like it has been). I get the worst cramps, in my lower back and low abdomen at the same time! So awful. I do agree with the heat packs, they work wonders with the help of ibprofen. I hear milk and walking helps with the cramps... but to be honest who wants to go for a walk when you feel disgusting? I try to hop on the elliptical for a few minutes and it seems to help.

I'm gonna have to try that JM water, any clues where I can find dandelion tea bags? I have a feeling my Kroger won't have it.

For the cravings, and I haven't tried this yet (I normally go straight for french fries dipped in a chocolate shake... something about the salty sweet combo just makes me feel so much better), is strawberries dipped in a chocolate snack pack.
  • lawyerette
    Options
    My TOM is also coming up next week (or this weekend if it decides to keep coming early like it has been). I get the worst cramps, in my lower back and low abdomen at the same time! So awful. I do agree with the heat packs, they work wonders with the help of ibprofen. I hear milk and walking helps with the cramps... but to be honest who wants to go for a walk when you feel disgusting? I try to hop on the elliptical for a few minutes and it seems to help.

I'm gonna have to try that JM water, any clues where I can find dandelion tea bags? I have a feeling my Kroger won't have it.

For the cravings, and I haven't tried this yet (I normally go straight for french fries dipped in a chocolate shake... something about the salty sweet combo just makes me feel so much better), is strawberries dipped in a chocolate snack pack.

If your local nutrition store, homeopathic shop, or Whole Foods doesn't have them, you can try ordering on-line. https://www.google.com/search?q=dandelion+tea&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I, luckily, have Mirena - so I haven't had a visit from Aunt Flo in over a year. But, I remember the horrors!

I just had my Mirena taken out January 9th after 5 years of having it in. I did get a period again but luckily I have not had any cramping. *Whew* I miss it though!
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Can I just say I hate, hate hate how irritable I become pre-TOM. I hate it so much because I am not that kind of person. I am usually pretty care free and easy going and try to find laughter in everything- I am the one constantly reminding my Fiance to relax and ease up and enjoy life! But with preTOM I hate the way it makes me feel and even though I try to acknowledge the source and try to relax I find myself snapping more easily. I am mostly writing this because normally irritability isn't that bad for me but I think preTOM + wedding stress + Book chapter I am behind in writing + Finals week next week + falling behind in lab work === Really bad preTOM irritability, frustration, exhaustion and an overall feeling of defeat. I really just want to crawl in a giant warm bubbly bath and forget/ignore it all ... which I did for 30 mins already and as soon as I got out all my burdens were waiting for me to pick back up. I'm really sorry for unloading all this on you but since this thread hasn't been visited for over a month (obvious reasons there LOL) So this might just escape all of your eyes :) Just writing this out is already making me feel a little better.

**************************************************RANT ALERT***********************************************
    you have been fore warned

To be honest it is really hard talking to my Fiance about all the stress that I am under because he really just doesn't understand how a PhD program works nor is he a scientist so whenever I start talking about any of it I can just see his eyes glaze over and his comments aren't helpful - :"Just leave lab its already 9" or "don't go back to lab its too late at night" Ummm I wish I didn't have to go in either but that is not always an option. I can't leave an experiment halfway through or not return to lab to finish it... not only would that waste hundreds to thousands of dollars of lab reagents, blood or tissue samples it would also be a waste of my time as I would just have to then repeat the whole experiment over again - and thats if all the reagents/samples are still available. Don't get me wrong I love what I do and am very happy with work itself, its just as long as I have classes in addition to lab everything just intensifies at the end of a quarter and it seems like an almost impossible mountain to go over I just wish he would understand that and not put additional pressures on me. The other stress point - the wedding - and we cant talk about that either because everytime we do it ends in a HUGE fight it's ridiculous we can't agree on anything. I want a medium sized wedding 130-140 ppl (and thats because I have a BIG family and I want all of them to be able to come - especially since I went to all of their weddings, baby showers, etc...) he wants small - 30-50 ppl.. I want kids present - he doesn't really, and we especially cant agree on a venue. Our own wedding is at a stand still because of these issues. I don't need a fancy wedding all I really want and what is truly important to me is that all the people I love and care about can share this important and special day with me and I just wish he would get that and see that. He wants a small wedding because he is shy and doesn't want to "deal" with people. Which I understand and accept about him -this is why I don't push him to go to big events or crowded social situations where he may feel uncomfortable - but I feel that at our wedding- these people will not be strangers or even just acquaintances they are family and friends. The thing is because he knows I would like 130-140 ppl, he would be ok with ultimately having that many guest - the problem is guest size affects budget, venue accommodations, and therefore location and that is where we cannot agree. When he wants a nicer venue I say we cant afford it - so then he says cut ppl and we can - so then I say - lets have it at my grandmas = free venue .. he says No way the city she lives in is "ghetto" I say but her house is in a decent part of town and has a beautiful backyard, he says I don't want to get married in that ghetto city and none of my friends will come if we have it there. I was born in that "ghetto" city and it really isn't that bad. I lived there as a child and go there several times a year, I have always been safe and felt safe geez... this is where we get stuck - and for now with the added pressure and stress from school I have just decided not to bring it up and avoid fighting until I have time to actually handle it. Now this post is really becoming a rant and I will have to go back and put up a rant warning ;) even if this is not read I am happy I got some of this off my chest :) I just feel like I have compromised a lot in this relationship and all I want is one day.. just one day to have. I am surprised how vocal he has been about the wedding considering all he wanted to do was go to the court house and sign a piece of paper. Is there anyone else who has this many problems planning with the groom?? We have been together for 6 years and are not 'rushing' into it at all its just the details that we are not seeing eye to eye on. Well if you made it this far in the post - thanks for reading me venting on screen. time for me to get back to my paper ...

Destanie
  • lawyerette
    Options
    Well if you made it this far in the post - thanks for reading me venting on screen. time for me to get back to my paper ...

The feelings in your post embody pretty much how I'm feeling this morning. TOM- why do you make me so crazy???!

PS- HUGS!
  • lawyerette
    Options
    To your actual post: an engagement period is a good time to start to work through life with another person. It's not like you haven't been doing it for a while, but for most of the day to day stuff you can really do what you want even if the other person doesn't agree MOST of the time. With a wedding, the decisions really are JOINT. Cullen and I had some of these issues with the wedding parameters, but where it's really played out is in planning the extended honeymoon. We actually had our 2nd biggest fight over it a couple weeks ago. We've been really blessed to be going through our pre-marital counseling with the church at the same time, though, and it's helped to put it all in context. Because we're working on our "relationship" and focusing on getting a good foundation under us, every place we don't agree for the wedding/honeymoon has proven to be a place where we can use our new tools and perspectives to build a stronger foundation.

For you, it's super tough because you're juggling one of the hardest parts of your personal life (engagement year) with one of the hardest parts of your professional life (Ph.D). It's no wonder you're at wits end. Have you two considered delaying the wedding until you finish your degree. I'm not sure how much time you have left, but perhaps one GIANT life event is enough to handle at one time...?

XOXO
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks Elizabeth for wading through my post! I thought about postponing the wedding to next year to give more time - but honestly I really just want to get on with my life. We were originally waiting for the groom to finish school and find a job... which happened almost two years ago and we talked about moving the wedding to next year .. but if we did that we would sign the marriage certificate now and just have a ceremony and reception next year - but in the end I felt like that would end up making me feel cheated and the wedding wouldn't feel like a wedding. I also want to start thinking about Children and would really like to start trying sooner rather than later as both of us are nearing thirty so with all that on the table, this yr is really ideal for us to start settling down :) I think if we had a ton of money to spend on honeymoon and wedding it would be easier to agree - but since we don't ... we each have different ways we would prefer to save money :/ Thanks for your ear!