The Apartment

Options
DMZ_1
DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
Apartments are a key part of single life, particularly urban single life.

What are your favorite aspects of apartment living? What are some things that you dislike about apartment living? Any unique stories to your apartment(s)?

Consider this a free flowing conversation about apartment life.

Replies

• afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I loved living in apartments because:
    a) the maintenance man would take care of anything that was broken
    b) no upkeep needed, but the cleanliness of the apartment

I am (hopefully soon!!) moving into a condo. I'm looking forward to it because the association takes care of the exterior. I don't have a balcony, so that sucks a bit. BUT I do have lots of windows and natural lighting.

One day I want my own home with my own lawn and front porch, but right now, the responsibilities are way too much for me.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    My apartment is just a building with one upstairs apartment and one down--I live downstairs, and the people upstairs are SO LOUD.....last night they had to have been doing an exercise video.....constant jumping up and down, and sounded like they were running back and forth. I was getting nervous....there are 2 women living there--one probably about 60+ and the other probably close to 400 lbs--while I think it is great they are exercising, I was nervous.........

And, I HATE my kitchen---teeny tiny :)
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I abhor apartment living. Have always owned my own house since I was 23 right out of the military. I hated the fact that people lived above me, I love my music and love turning up the volume. I love having a garage I can get greasy and oily in. I love turning a wrench....I love watering my lawn and pruning my trees.

Yes it sucks to have to do the maintenance, but I think it's a matter of perspective.

On the flip side, an apartment can be kept clean so much easier and you have a pool that you don't have to maintain...and probably hot, single neighbors.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I abhor apartment living. Have always owned my own house since I was 23 right out of the military. I hated the fact that people lived above me, I love my music and love turning up the volume. I love having a garage I can get greasy and oily in. I love turning a wrench....I love watering my lawn and pruning my trees.

Yes it sucks to have to do the maintenance, but I think it's a matter of perspective.

On the flip side, an apartment can be kept clean so much easier and you have a pool that you don't have to maintain...and probably hot, single neighbors.

No hot, single neighbors for me :(
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    When I lived in an apartment I always had to be on the top floor. Not only so I didn't have the noise above me but because I always felt safer as a single woman living by myself on the top floor. I like to move around so that is why apartments suit me better. Right now I prefer my investment being in something that doesn't depreciate and hate owning my town home. Also the amenities at most apartments make up for any cons.

My friend lives on the bottom floor and a guy we know from the group I play sports in moved in a couple months ago above her. They are the biggest a-hole neighbors. Really it is two ghetto guys that party to all hours and will bang things on purpose on the floor to try and get her to come up and visit them. My friend works along side the FBI and is randomly drug tested and they always have at minimum someone smoking a joint in the apartment. Not to mention that she once threw some wd40 up on to the balcony because his bed and floor boards were squeeking so bad.
  • afv417
    Options

It's not a matter of the maintenance being sucky, it's a matter of being able to financially keep a home. I won't get myself into that predicament.

BTW- did you say oily? :blushing:
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

What are your favorite aspects of apartment living? What are some things that you dislike about apartment living? Any unique stories to your apartment(s)?

I can't do apartment living. Though each apartment I lived in was an interesting experience.

I've lived in a crappy 2 bedroom apartment w/ a roommate when I was in college. The place was basically a health hazard and the living conditions were horrendous. I'll never forget the day I moved out, I was clearing out trash bags in the kitchen and the bags were crawling with maggots. Disgusting.

I had a 400 sq ft apartment in the South End section of Boston for 4 years. That place was old, not updated, and just a piece of crap. I lived close to the Pine Street Inn (homeless shelter) and had to dodge panhandlers everyday. Humans aren't meant to live in such close quarters.

I lived in a newish building (built in the early 2000's) in the North Beach section of Miami Beach. The place was nice, but some guy tried to throw his girlfriend off the 28th floor balcony during a dispute. There was sex in the hot tub, people doing cocaine by the pool area, and more fake boobs than you can imagine. That was a wild couple of years.

Apartment living is good when you are young because it's easier to meet people in the common areas (gym, pool, sauna, etc), but I didn't like hearing my neighbors on all sides of me. I made some good friends during my apartment living years though.

I bought a brand new 2,000 sq ft house last year. And honestly, I want to sell and buy a larger place with a pool. After living in such small places for years, I want the biggest, most obnoxious McMansion money can buy!
  • afv417
    Options

I can't do apartment living. Though each apartment I lived in was an interesting experience.

I've lived in a crappy 2 bedroom apartment w/ a roommate when I was in college. The place was basically a health hazard and the living conditions were horrendous. I'll never forget the day I moved out, I was clearing out trash bags in the kitchen and the bags were crawling with maggots. Disgusting.

I had a 400 sq ft apartment in the South End section of Boston for 4 years. That place was old, not updated, and just a piece of crap. I lived close to the Pine Street Inn (homeless shelter) and had to dodge panhandlers everyday. Humans aren't meant to live in such close quarters.

I lived in a newish building (built in the early 2000's) in the North Beach section of Miami Beach. The place was nice, but some guy tried to throw his girlfriend off the 28th floor balcony during a dispute. There was sex in the hot tub, people doing cocaine by the pool area, and more fake boobs than you can imagine. That was a wild couple of years.

Apartment living is good when you are young because it's easier to meet people in the common areas (gym, pool, sauna, etc), but I didn't like hearing my neighbors on all sides of me. I made some good friends during my apartment living years though.

I bought a brand new 2,000 sq ft house last year. And honestly, I want to sell and buy a larger place with a pool. After living in such small places for years, I want the biggest, most obnoxious McMansion money can buy!

I wish I could dream big like you and actually make it happen.... my job sucks :-/
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I wish I could dream big like you and actually make it happen.... my job sucks :-/

The housing market has picked up, so I might be in for a reality check if I try to upgrade!

For a while, you could buy a 3000 sq foot house for around 300k in a marginal area. I check the MLS daily and prices are definitely going up.
  • afv417
    Options

The housing market has picked up, so I might be in for a reality check if I try to upgrade!

For a while, you could buy a 3000 sq foot house for around 300k in a marginal area. I check the MLS daily and prices are definitely going up.

Yeah, my realtor did tell me they were going up. Thankfully I got this condo at a good deal. It's a fixer upper so once it's all said and done the place will be to my liking (new cabinets, floors, paint, appliances etc...) My realtor has been absolutely amazing through this process should you need one :)

EDIT- that is, IF I get the damn place! I was supposed to close Monday :sad:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Not sure I understand what 'apartment living' means DM??

Do you guys only RENT apartments? Or do you own them??

For me, the question might be slightly different, as I live in an apartment, but own it! :bigsmile:

Here, you can also live in a house, but rent it!
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have never lived in an apartment. I moved out of my parents house, and into my house when I was 20.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

For me, the question might be slightly different, as I live in an apartment, but own it! :bigsmile:

Good question Anna.

In the US, apartments are typically rentals. My original post was focused on renting a unit within a building or complex. Typically, apartment leases are short term.

Unit living where the unit is owned is more typically a condo over on this side of the pond.

Single family homes in the US can be rented or owned.

But I did want to focus the discussion on renting within an apartment building or apartment complex. Ownership of a unit is a different living arrangement, though being an owner in a multiunit building has some similarities to apartment renting lifestyle.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

Ugh 3000 sq feet? I don't even use up my 1200.
  • afv417
    Options

We rent apartments and buy condominiums.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Wording differs..but here people generally rent apartments and own condos.
    A house can be rented or owned.
    Suites are also popular here for single people or even couples - above ground basement suites, or the top floor of a coach house etc.

I just checked the current listings - In Vancouver 300K will buy you at best an old 600 square foot one bedroom apartment in a crappy area of town.

I am not fussy about where I live actually. I shared a 400 square foot apartment with a roommate and a couple of cockroaches in Seoul for 5 years. I can adapt to pretty much just about anything. I do like being on a higher floor or somewhere I consider "safe" though... basement suites kind of scare me.
  • afv417
    Options

We rent apartments and buy condominiums. edit- and rent or buy houses. :)
  • DMZ_1
    Options

If humans were not meant to live is such close quarters, you would hate living in Manhattan.

The North Beach section of Miami Beach isn't as wild as South Beach. But the fake boobs, I can imagine you enjoyed that. How come you didn't find a girl for a good LTR from that building?
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I'm not an apartment person, I crave my privacy. I think part of it was growing up with so many brothers and part of it was being in the military with everyone in your business 24/7. When we divorced, I moved out here and rented an apartment for the first time....that lasted 8 months until I bought the house.

Upside of the apartment was the maintnenance and the proximity of the pool, but that was it.

The house requires maintenance, but I've maintained a home warranty which covers almost all of that. I don't care for the lawn work, but my son will be taking care of that next summer. Other than that, I love it. It's my space and I do what I want when I want. The house is brightly lit with skylights, a sunroom and I have an acre for the kids to play. Much better for us. :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    No outside maintenance.
    Something breaks, you call someone, they come to fix it.