what is so wrong with 1200?

Options
Hi all. I am pretty new to MFP. I put my info in and it said in order to lose 1 lb a week - as MFP recommends - my calorie limit is 1210. My husband thought this was way too low. He directed me to SparkPeople - so I went there and did all these calculations on a spreadsheet and guess what? In order to lose 1 lb a week, my recommended calorie limit is .... 1215. I then went to the gym for my initial meeting with my personal trainer. Their calculations said my BMR is 1450 - so again, to lose one pound a week I would need to drop down to 1240. I understand that this is based upon a model that doesn't count any additional exercise - so I am going to track my exercise and calories and eat those additional calories each day/week. I am curious though - being new to MFP - what is so wrong with 1200 calories? Especially since MFP is recommending it for me and other calculations get me to the same place. Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies

• juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Idk I have been on 1200 calories after talking to a doctor I work with, and I have lost 17lbs in less than a month. I am trying for 20 by the 1 month mark. I do workout and eat back most of my exercise calories. I do see a lot of posts out there about how 1200 is not enough, but it is working for me.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    WOW what have you been doing to lose 17 in less than a month??? Just 1200 & normal exercise, or anything special/extra?
  • juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nothing special, just the 1200 and exercise. And honestly I workout just so I can bank some calories for food I really want aka bacon. I also up my calories once ot twice every couple of weeks. Only thing I can think of is I am bigger and have a lot to lose. I am waiting for that plateu to come.
  • gypsymatis
    gypsymatis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    nothing.... my goal weight is 120 and that times 10 is my calories per day.
  • gypsymatis
    gypsymatis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    actually it all depends on what your body NEEDS. I am 5 foot 1 inch and should ideally weigh 105 pounds and that times 12 is 1260 calories to maintain.
  • Kristi336
    Kristi336 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't support these thoughts, but I want to try to save your from having to reading through all the awful threads bashing 1200 calories. The "Eat More" group that tends to be the ones that are the harshest critics of the 1200 cal diets tend to think that if you eat below BMR then your metabolism will slow down so much that there's no way you'll ever the keep the weight off. They also say that you will lose more muscle than fat and that you will suffer adverse effects like hair loss, dry skin, etc. They also tend to scoff at anyone who feels their body might be different and have different needs than theirs, or anyone who's not interested in gaining muscle and looking like a skinny female body builder. Unfortunately, this group tends to be very vocal about their beliefs, and often in a not very nice way. A few of them are real bullies and it's ridiculous. They claim to be sick of telling people not to eat at 1200 and then being ignored. Not sure why they can't just leave us alone to our own decisions though.

As for me, I ate at 1200-1300 calories for several months with a couple of cheat meals on the weekend. I didn't eat back my exercise, but counted my cheat meals as eating my exercise calories. The only exercise I did was walking on my lunch hour 4-5 times a week. I lost about 25 in 3 months and felt very good. No hair loss, low energy levels, or other adverse side effects besides feeling great about myself. I went through a stressful time with graduate school, working full time and being a mom and stopped tracking calories and walking. I did track on some days and found that I was eating around 2000-2200 calories. I did not gain back any of the weight. That was a year ago, so I'm pretty sure if my metabolism had suffered from my low cal diet I would know by now. Now things are a little more under control in my life so I'm going back to 1200-1300 cal a day with my 2 cheat meals on the weekends (not eating back exercise calories during the week). That works for me and it makes me happy.

If you have 3 sources giving you the same info and that feels right for you, go for it and forget about what anyone says on here. If you're starving and miserable, look into other options that you think will work for you....BUT don't be bullied by some of the insensitive jerks on this site that feel like their way is the only way. It's so frustrating. I hope this group stays active and supportive and we can come here for support instead of the general boards which sometimes feel like tiptoeing through a really mean high school!! Haha.
  • missa526
    missa526 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem with it. Every site I go to says for me to lose 1 pound I need to eat 1200 calories. On this site I can only lose 0.9 pounds with exercise at 1200 calories which I don't understand. I'm only 5' 1" so I assume that's why I'm at 1200 cals. So I just try to exercise a lot. Sometimes it's hard to not go over 1200 calories but I figure if I have extra exercise calories there's no harm.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it if it's what works for your body. People insist you have to eat 2000 calories ... but they are six inches taller than me and weigh 30 lbs more. It boggles my mind that people can't see that the math is the same but the number is different based on the variables. 1 lb is a healthy rate of loss based on everything I've ever read from medical professionals.
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's worked for me :)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i eat 1200 calories a day, and have lost over 50 pounds since september. i feel good, im healthy, i have energy... i dont see anything wrong with it...
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts that I see so many posts so against 1200 calories. I can understand if someone says "I'm trying to eat 1200 calories but I'm starving and my hairs falling out!" Yes, then obviously that is a problem for them. It isn't for everyone though. I've been with a 1200 calorie "goal" for a while. It was suggested by my doctor as the best way for me to lose weight. I was to eat back my exercise points as well.

If it works for you, then I'd just shrug at people who want to argue about it. There are a lot of people in the "my way is the only way" mindset.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I think some of it is that people honestly do not understand how drastically different 2 people's metabolisms can be. If you are short, older, have a higher Body Fat%, or have hormonal issues, your BMR can be considerably lower than others. Then if you are fairly sedentary thru out the day, then your activity level is much lower than others might be. Even doing an hour workout 3-4 days a week, doesn't do a lot for you if you are sitting down for most of the rest of the week.

Body Fat % makes a huge difference as well. Muscle mass requires a lot of energy to maintain, but Body fat is very inactive, so just being heavier doesn't raise your BMR very much, and in fact with an extremely high BF% your BMR might be even lower than someone who weighs 100 pounds or more less than you.
    MFP doesn't take BF% into account when figuring your BMR. When I use the Katch-Mcardle BMR calculator, which uses your BF% to calculate, then my BMR is almost 300 cals less than what MFP says. Then when you factor in the activity level to those numbers, that gives me over 500 cal difference in my TDEE, at a sedentary level.

When I was 30, working a physically active job, and lifting weights 3 days a week, I could eat anything I wanted and not gain. I was probably maintaining on around 2500 cals per day. But that is not my situation anymore.

On the other hand, my 5' tall, 78 yr old mother was maintaining on around 700 calories per day, if that much. She stayed in bed and on the couch most of the time and died from Diabetes last summer.

I am here so that I don't follow her path.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I want to stick to 1200 until I reach my final goal, then I will probably start eating a little more, gradually, and focus on mantain my weight. In the beginning, it was a bit hard to get used to eat this way, I now got over it. I am glad I started a 1200 calorie-plan because it taught me how to eat healtier and get rid of the extra, unecessary, unhealty snacks. The only problem I am encountering is not eating back the calories I have burnt by exercising... I run 2 to3 times per week- usually 7k to 10k, burning 500kcal to 600kcal each time...these extra calories are like a reward to me! I tend to eat "just" 400kcal-500kcal back (I usually have a sushi-party after my work out :wink: )... I could try to do better but the truth is,when I don't exercise I can perfectly survive on 1200 kcal per day... when I do, I need to eat back at least a part of what I've burnt in order not to enter starvation mode...let me know your thoughts!
  • paperklutz
    paperklutz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree, there is nothing wrong with 1200 calories a day - if you do it right. Those people who say that they feel like they are starving themselves or have suffered from negative health effects probably ate a nutrigrain bar and a sandwich in one sitting and called it good.

In my opinion, it's about choosing how and when to spend your 1200 calories, in my opinion. Small meals, a good amt of protein, avoid (unnatural) sugars, complex carbs, lots of greens/veggies... blah blah blah... you know the bit. I think if you just get all the nutrients that your body needs, it won't be angry at you.

I have a ton of energy on 1200 a day! However, I also I take whole food, green supplements, along with vitamins. I feel like I've found the sweet spot, so I don't know.

Or maybe some people just have a mental block and don't think they can't do it, thus they cannot? Deflecting onto others who are trying it and succeeding?
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank god for you people. It makes my head spin when I read these people saying "OH LAWD!!! YOU GONNA STORE ALL YOUR CALORIES AS FAT!!!"
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it's about choosing how and when to spend your 1200 calories, in my opinion. Small meals, a good amt of protein, avoid (unnatural) sugars, complex carbs, lots of greens/veggies... blah blah blah... you know the bit. I think if you just get all the nutrients that your body needs, it won't be angry at you.

My point exactly! I usually get a small breakfast, a light lunch, a complete dinner (I know I know, it should be the opposite...lol!), and two snacks between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner... That way, i manage to stay full and i feel completely satisfied! All within 1200 kcal :smile:
  • sandydiane
    sandydiane Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just read the skinny rules by bob Harper, the trainer on the biggest loser. He recommends 1200 calories for women and he ought to know. Before this, I did weight watchers and that diet is based more on 1200 calories a day ad they have tons of research behind them. I think they know more than some random people on the boards. Nothing wrong with 1200.
  • xoInsanity
    xoInsanity Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with it! I have been doing this for a little over 2 weeks and have lost 12 pounds already just by eating healthier and walking more. I feel more energetic and lighter, and most importantly I NEVER feel like I'm starving, if you eat the right foods you'll fill up and be satisfied. Those other jerks who degrade the 1200 calorie individuals can suck it.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    What is confusing to me is that people on the forums say that you cannot get all your nutrients on 1200 cal a day, so I checked all my macros and found that my calcium and iron were a bit low. However, everything else was either very close or over (especially my A & C and fiber! ) Since I am 60, it is important that I meet my calcium goal, so I looked at what i eat that is higher in calcium and iron and adjusted. For example, I now have a least 1/2 C of Total Cranberry Crunch cereal with 1/4 c of skimmed milk every day giving me a 48 g daily calcium punch for 97 calories. I did some similar things with iron and now they are both very close or a bit over the required minimums. I'm not 30 anymore and I gain weight on the calorie amounts that most people on the forums seem to feel are required for good nutrition. I am not sure why they are so vested in making those of us on 1200 cal feel like we have an eating disorder. It is very confusing to me on a site that is supposed to be supportive and informational.
  • mamalana2001
    Options
    I have been a huge fan of the 1980's Weight Watchers "Exchange Plan" for years. It never fails, and it's a perfect 1200 a day plan. Now that we have this wonderful MFP App, it is so easy to plan ahead. I JUST LOVE IT! I look forward to sharing idea with you all. Don't let anyone bully you!