Hi I am looking for a home made salsa recipe

Options
Hi this is my first post here and I am looking for a home made salsa recipe or two the sodium in store bought salsas is tooo much for me so any thing you would be willing to share would be appreciated.
Thanks so much
RaNae
RaNaeLuvsLuzin
Luznit 1 Meal, 1 Snack, 1 Logged Calorie, 1 day at a time.

Replies

• pstepka1
    Options
    My favorite recipe is:

4 Roma Tomatoes
    3 Limes (juice of)
    2 tablespoons of jalapeno (I use from a jar)
    1 large 'regular' (yellow) onion
    FRESH cilantro (about 2/3 of a bunch) chopped very fine.
    Salt to taste

My preference is to blend lime juice, (I sometimes use the store-bought juice instead of from limes), jalapenos (include juice on the tablespoons and obviously this is to taste also), 3-1/2 of the tomatoes and 3/4 of the onion in a food processor until they are almost liquid. Then I add the rest of the tomato and onion and pulse until it's now a chunky mixture. Cilantro gets mixed in with a spoon last, otherwise it turns the mixture grey.

I add salt before the cilantro to taste. It tastes the best with more salt than you think you need, but of course I cut it back some.

It's best after it's been refrigerated for a few hours because the tastes blend together better after sitting.

And I eat them with THIN tortilla chips (On the Border brand is our favorite).
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the recipe and the tip on adding the cilantro in last grey picante doesn't sound appetising lol.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    This is my go recipe for Pica De Gallo:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,135178-253195,00.html

I love it...LOVE IT! lol
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the bump I was on vacation last week.
    Appreciate the recipes I concocted one myself a cooked one didn't turn out too good it was with black beans and corn maybe my pallet is just missing the sodium but that is why I am making it LOL
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks I need to switch from high sodium salsa in jars to home made and this recipe will work.