Don't eat until hungry?

Options
So I read that with Paleo you should not eat unless you were hungry. Is this true? I feel if I waited to eat until I was hungry, I would have a problem getting in enough calories/day. I currently eat 3 meals and 2 snacks/day and a protein shake after an evening workout if applicable. I'd be willing to try this approach but I'd have to carry Paleo friendly goodies with me at all time. Thoughts?

Replies

• AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I've found that I get hungry at regular times throughout the day, so that I eat about three meals and maybe one snack. I eat solid, filling meals, and from when I was calorie counting, it was about 1400-1600, which I don't feel is too low. But if you're satiated and losing weight, then that's what's important. Not some program or stranger telling you what you need. The best way to tell what you need is by experimenting, tracking, and modifying. hope this helps!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If I wait to eat until I'm hungry, I DO have a problem getting in enough calories. On the other hand, I don't like eating when I'm NOT hungry (anymore!), so I'm still trying to figure out a balance. For me, it seems to work better if I eat high-calorie meals at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If I wait until I'm hungry, I tend to make bad food choices. I prefer to eat every 2-3 hours (coffee, am meal/mini breakfast, lunch, pm snack/meal, dinner, night/meal). The snack/meals normally only consists of an ounce of nuts.
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You're not eating paleo, so it's tough to judge. Snacking and protein shakes are not paleo.
  • VeronicaanddMatt0605
    Options
    I eat three solid meals with plenty of fat protein and veggies I do feel hungry by the time my meals come but am not hungry and have not needed snacks and because I'm trying to lose lots of weight right now I hardly ever eat fruit have a starchy carb once a day or less and no sugars refined or not I also have insulin n resistance so am more sensitive to carbs before I started eating paleo I snacked all the time and never felt satisfied
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Snacks are perfectly fine on Paleo, especially when first starting out. However, protein shakes are definitely one of those ideas that divide Paleo enthusiasts. There are people who use them and others who are purists and believe they're sacreligious. I don't use them because I prefer to eat my protein but I know of a few who do (including the moderator of this board).

This has been my take...I eat when I want and I fill up on protein in my main two meals. In between, I grab a snack that's Paleo/Primal-friendly. Usually my meals are between 700-1200 calories each and result in 40-60 grams of protein. As you progress further into Paleo/Primal, you'll notice that you're hungry less often and snacking becomes less common. It's necessary to let your food digest and so I try to limit my snack to once a day. Like I said, you'll feel your hunger signals change as you progress further with Paleo. You won't become shaky if you don't eat every few hours like you might have with SAD eating. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full and trust your body.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You're not eating paleo, so it's tough to judge. Snacking and protein shakes are not paleo.

Why isn't snacks Paleo if they are grapes tomatoes, cauliflower, almonds, etc?
    The protein that I currently take is SFH which is derived from grass fed beef. Cavemen may not have taken it but as far as protein goes, I'm gonna stick with it,
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I snack if i need too. Usually I don't feel the need to have a snack, but some days its just too far from lunch to dinner and I have some trailmix - pistarcios, raisins and pumpkin seeds, or I'll have some nuts and fruits. Especially if I've gone to the gym, or dinner is going to be late.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Why isn't snacks Paleo if they are grapes tomatoes, cauliflower, almonds, etc?
    The protein that I currently take is SFH which is derived from grass fed beef. Cavemen may not have taken it but as far as protein goes, I'm gonna stick with it,

Yeah, I've never heard that snacks aren't paleo...what I HAVE heard is that there's a paleo continuum and taking it too literally is detrimental.