Just curious

Should I keep my sugar and sodium levels where they are, or should I adjust them? What do the rest of you suggest to do with the auto-set goals? I've already set my protien/carb/fat goal to 40/30/30%

Replies

• For weight loss, I'd set the carbs at 10% or 15% - cut out the fruit for a while, or just have a SMALL quantity of berries, not every day. I try to keep my sodium under 1500/day; sodium leaches your calcium. Try to eliminate ALL sweeteners from your diet, artificial and natural.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    And don't be afraid of fat. My fat accounts for 50%+ of my calories now and I have NEVER felt better.
  • stormynytes4ever
    stormynytes4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Well, I don't use sweeteners, the only sugars I consume come from my food, like fruits and stuff. I'll see about dropping my sodium intake, but that's difficult. And I use coconut oil to cook EVERYTHING. lol I was just wondering if I need to police my natural sugar levels like I do my carbs and protine and stuff.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Mark Sisson recommends that carbs stay between 50 - 100 g for weightloss, 100 - 150 in maintenance mode.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    And don't be afraid of fat. My fat accounts for 50%+ of my calories now and I have NEVER felt better.

Can that fat come from good peanut butter?
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member

Can that fat come from good peanut butter?

To truly be paleo, no. Peanuts are legumes. But almond butter, sun butters and cashew butters are good to go. I personally use lots of coconut oil, grassfed butters (primal not paleo), avocados, and meats.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    ok thanks, im obviously not doing 100% as yet!! Love my pb too much, will have to get onto almond butter instead

thanks alot
  • kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    For weight loss, I'd set the carbs at 10% or 15% - cut out the fruit for a while, or just have a SMALL quantity of berries, not every day. I try to keep my sodium under 1500/day; sodium leaches your calcium. Try to eliminate ALL sweeteners from your diet, artificial and natural.
    I believe there's more to it than simply sodium leaches calcium. A lot more is at play such as Vitamin K/K2, D3, potassium levels, general inflammation. I don't think there's any reason to limit sodium, especially when eating Paleo tends to be low salt anyway, potentially too low. Himalayan pink salt is the cleanest source for salt.
  • stormynytes4ever
    Ok, so what about natural sugar levels? Should I limit those?
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    I think if you limit your carbs, your sugars will automatically be limited.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    To optimize weight loss, yes. Sugar is sugar, whether it's coming from a canister or an orange. The body can't tell the difference and too much sugar, no matter the form, will produce an insulin spike, which starts the ball rolling for fat storage, instead of fat loss.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263

This!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    I have my carbs set at 50g and sugar set at 25g. It's only since I've done this that the weight has started to melt off.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    If your looking to lose weight, your carbs are too high, I would set to 15- 20% and the remainder go to fat. Also limit your fruit intake
    as per marks daily apple:
    for effortless weight loss 0- 50 g carbs a day
    for gradual weight loss 50 -100 g a day..
    100-150 g a day to maintain weight.
    150-300 g slow steady weight gain
    300g + will hit your waistline pretty fast
  • stormynytes4ever
    I've lost 22lbs since December 1st with my carbs where they are, I barely meet that goal though, so I may shift their numbers
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    I've lost 22lbs since December 1st with my carbs where they are, I barely meet that goal though, so I may shift their numbers

thats awesome! ya if you want faster results adjust a bit, but your doing great as is I think! 22 pounds in 2 months is a super!
  • stormynytes4ever
    :bigsmile: