New to SS

Options
Hey there! I will be starting this program on the 18th of Feb. I am finishing off 30DS first.

Just a quick question about weekly workouts:

Right now, I am doing 30DS MTWTF as well as about a half an hour of running or elliptical everyday except Sunday.

When I start SS, is it still cool to do cardio (moderate, nothing too crazy) everyday as well? What I am doing now is and has been working like a charm so I don't want to mess anything up. I also don't want to overdo it either.

What advice would you give to a newbie Strength trainer and runner (also a new found passion)???

Replies

• jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    What is SS? Starting Strength?

I do not know anything about that program. This forum is for New Rules of Lifting for Women (although I'm sure there are others here who can answer your questions...didn't want it to sound like I was saying you aren't welcome here!) :)

I know for New Rules, the author recommends not doing cardio at least at the beginning, to get your body used to it. Many of us do some light cardio on off days, but you will quickly realize how much your body can handle. Those rest days are so important for your muscles to recover properly.

Good luck!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You can definitely balance weightlifting with your other cardio pursuits. Just listen to your body when you first start so that you can assess what works for you and then build from there. One of the questions that comes up when you are doing both is which to do first. There is no right answer for that one, except that you should do the one that is more important to you first.

I, too, really enjoy running. I do that a couple of days a week in addition to lifting, spin and soccer. I like to mix it up!

When you start lifting, make sure to challenge yourself with adding additional weight AFTER you are comfortable with your form. Be sure to ask for advice if you need it. Schedule a few sessions with a personal trainer if you can. What is great about SS is that you can really focus your advice sessions on the moves that you will be doing.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can definitely balance weightlifting with your other cardio pursuits. Just listen to your body when you first start so that you can assess what works for you and then build from there. One of the questions that comes up when you are doing both is which to do first. There is no right answer for that one, except that you should do the one that is more important to you first.

I, too, really enjoy running. I do that a couple of days a week in addition to lifting, spin and soccer. I like to mix it up!

When you start lifting, make sure to challenge yourself with adding additional weight AFTER you are comfortable with your form. Be sure to ask for advice if you need it. Schedule a few sessions with a personal trainer if you can. What is great about SS is that you can really focus your advice sessions on the moves that you will be doing.

I agree with the above. I am doing NR just finished Stage 1 and still added in cardio when I had time outside of lifting. I enjoy Jogging, Rowing, zumba etc. Lifting was my main focus and I made sure I did not sacrafice that just to get cardio in.
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    I'm a doof. I meant I will be starting New Rules. :laugh:
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm a doof. I meant I will be starting New Rules. :laugh:

:happy:
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you add in cardio, I would do it after your New Rules workout. Only do it if you aren't tired. Doing it before could comprimise your lifting. I would also keep it to a max of 30 minutes. You can also do it in your off days. Just make sure you go easy so your muscles have time to repair from the lifting. Walking would be great.