Training to failure vs leaving some in the tank

Options
2»

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    How does one know if they are actually getting stronger or not?

I'm not sure why the comments about impressing anyone is mentioned. I'm sort of old for that.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Progressive load and recovery are the keys here. Training to failure or not, doesn't really make much of a difference so long as you are using progressive load with your non failure training. If you are training to failure then you just need to make sure that you are getting sufficient rest and progressive load should then be happening naturally.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How does one know if they are actually getting stronger or not?

I'm not sure why the comments about impressing anyone is mentioned. I'm sort of old for that.

You can tell you've gotten stronger through other means than actually pushing yourself to the edge to see for sure. Is the lift easier? can you do more reps? Do you need less rest? All signs of getting stronger. My point was not that you were trying to impress anyone, but rather that the rm checks and going balls out every session in the gym for many has more to do with ego than actual benefit to training.

I had a personal obsession with squatting 4 wheels. I had to do it. I pushed myself real hard for months, and hit it. I ended up overreaching on that attempt and tore my left oblique. I've recovered and am building back up. I'm squatting mid 3s right now. It's humbling to say the least, but I'm not risking injury like I was before. Thing is the weights I'm doing now feel lighter than they did when I hit 405. I instinctively know I'm good for it, but I'll wait and when I do go for 405 again I'm sure I'll be able to hit it more safely and for reps.
  • Dreamweaver_5107
    Dreamweaver_5107 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There uis form failure and what a lot of people call failure. If you know what you are doing and your form is very tight working to form failure where you don't do any more reps after form is as risk of comprimise then that is probably ok.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    There uis form failure and what a lot of people call failure. If you know what you are doing and your form is very tight working to form failure where you don't do any more reps after form is as risk of comprimise then that is probably ok.

This I agree with.

ETA: I think this leaves enough room for interpretation to account for most anyone. You end your set strong, still able to competently complete your rep and are doing so safely.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I do now/ have done in past, Specific Progressive Overload Training cycles... it works for me. You need to find out what works for you, and continue to do that.

You can read about it in detail at that bb dot com site .
  • Harder_Better_Faster_Stronger
    Options
    I think going to failure is a bad idea because it will reduce the volume you can do on your next lifts. However if its say....the last exercise youre doing for chest that day go ahead and go to failure because you're done hitting it.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Here is a link to an article on S.P.O.T. ......

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/borland3.htm