Time for something new

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
Hi there. I've been on MFP for awhile, have gotten great advice and motivation from my FL and from reading the boards. I'm okay with the number on the scale these days, but my goal is to reduce my BF%. It's time to shake some things up!

I started looking into South Beach, not as a diet, but as a lifestyle. I don't have any "drop pounds quick" goals - just want to up my protein and minimize my dependency on carbs (the bad ones). I find that I'm better at following rules than trying to work things out myself, so I'm hoping this will be a good place to start. I'm also planning to get back into the gym and start lifting weight again. I made excellent progress last year and have switched up between dumbbells, kettlebells and barbells. I've taken the last few months off pretty much - a few kettlebell workouts here and there, but nothing structured - so it's time to get back to it.

I wanted to say "hi" to the group and let you know why I'm here.

Replies

• lboykin42
    lboykin42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started sb for many reasons. Lose weight, ore diabetic, and lower bp. I'm almost done w week 2 and down 10 lbs! Feel great! No cravings at all!!! Amazing! I'm sticking w it!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Nice!! My Mom got diabetes (I don't know that much about it..adult onset?) and she controlled it all with diet - no insulin. Prevention is the best bet for me.

Waiting for my book to arrive...didn't want it on my kindle...I need paper!

:smile:
  • barbmastel
    Options
    hello my name is barb and I too am on the south beach diet for health reasons as well. I started on the south beach diet around two years ago and at around a year ago I stoped for the last year. I gained almost all the weight back and not happy with my self. so I started back on it again yesterday and already lost 3 pounds. I am working on changing my life style. I look at as a life style change not a diet. I love the fact that on the south beach diet you loss belly fat faster.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just found your post when searching for other South Beachers. I joined MFP last week. I've been following SBD, on and off, for about 5 years. I'm actually happy with it overall, especially the later phases when the allowable foods are much more liberal. The only reason I stray from it is probably because I take the liberal nature of the diet a little TOO liberally. LOL. Then I get off track and have to get back on. It didn't help when I started dating my fiance, who is Puerto Rican and ate white rice almost every day. LOL. But I finally convinced him to try SBD for health reasons (high cholesterol, etc.), and to his credit he did, albeit reluctantly. He lost 17 pounds on Phase 1 and is a convert now, and it's much easier when everyone in the household is eating the same way! Anyway enough about me. I was just curious if you did in fact give SBD a chance, and if so, if you're still on it and how you're doing. Since you were happy with your fitness level at the time, did you just start with Phase 2? It doesn't sound like you needed to lose weight or inches, which is where Phase 1 has the most impact.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    And hi to all the other SBers here! Feel free to add me as a MFP friend if you like. Since I'm really new to MFP, I don't want to be too forward with friending people until I get a better feel for the place. Although so far I have a really good impression. :smile:
  • KandisV
    KandisV Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm on day 12 of phase 1...my first time on SBD. Totally frustrated: scale & measurements have not budged. I keep hearing people say they lose 8-14 lbs on phase 1. Have followed the meal planning, been food logging, drinking tons of water. I know the weight didn't come on overnight & I shouldn't expect too much at first. Just a little encouragement needed.
  • iamferf2
    iamferf2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Kandis it is definitely odd that you wouldn't lose anything on Phase 1. You should expect a fairly significant amount of weight loss depending on the amount of weight you need to lose. Are you certain that you have been eating enough food? As strange as that sounds, it is utterly important especially in Phase 1 so that you don't go into starvation mode.
    I am on Day 1 of my 3rd week on Phase 2 and have had pretty good success. I lost 10.4 pounds on Phase 1 and just gained 1 pound this week (that is expected as we add the forbidden foods back in).

Feel free to friend me on here and take a look at my food diaries to see if there is something you can glean from them. I labeled the days at the beginning of Phase 1 so it should be easy for you to locate.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask them. There is a great discussion forum that I use too for help with SBD; it is South Beach Diet for Beginners. Great site!!! It has been around for quite some time and is still moderated well.

Don't give up!! This is definitely the best way of eating around; most healthy and certainly satisfying.