Introduce Yourself

Options
coburngirl
coburngirl Posts: 69 Member
I did not find any thyroid cancer groups on MFP and thought I would start one to help us thyroid challenged or thyroid absent people. It seems to be a disease that is just hitting the scene but it can still be a lonely place. I could use more active support in my "new normal." A little about me, I had my thyroidectomy in August 2012 and got to spend a wonderful, fun filled vacation in the hospital for a week afterwards with 2 of those days being in the ICU. A week later I found out my thyroid was filled with cancer which has been undected on tests for years. On the good side of things my meds are finally balancing out, my hair loss stopped, the crying spells are almost done and the thyroid fog only comes on in the evenings after I've worked all day. I've managed to lose almost 10 lbs but it has been slowing going and frustrating.

Thanks for checking out the group and I hope you'll introduce yourself and we can get a great group support going.

~Michele

Replies

• usAFchickTCS
    Options
    Hello coburngirl, Cancer Sucks!!! I too found out I had thyroid cancer in July 2012 and underwent RAI in Aug 2012. Got my results that the cancer is gone on Sep. 11, 2013! It has been a long road of healing both mentally and physically. With my meds and hormones leveling out I feel like I'm on the road to recovery! Since I had my thyroidectomy, I only gained about 5 pounds and I haven't been watching what I eat. Oops! I think the reason for the weight gain is because I'm taking it easy until I know I'm ready to go full force with working out. My work does have a MANDATORY workout program which does help!
  • bossymomd
    bossymomd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer and a total thyroidectomy back in 1991. I was 27 years old and had my surgery 6 mos before my wedding. I had always struggled with my weight but when I applied myself I could lose it. Right before the surgery I was a healthy 127, then after the surgery and not being on any hormone for two months before my total body scan I gained and was 142. Thank goodness my wedding dress still fit! Since then, I have gained 30lbs and now that I am in my late 40's I cannot get past 170 for anything. It's like the synthroid has set a weight within my body and it's in control!

For a long time I had fibromyalgia symptoms, at one time I thought maybe I had m.s. but now I know it was the fact that a major organ was removed from my body and a synthetic replica of the hormone it is supposed to control is running many facets of my body. I also realized, too late, that I am allergic to aspertame and therefore cannot drink the tons of diet coke I used to drink when I thought I had m.s.

So many factors play into how our bodies work and how this thyroid cancer has affected us. I was pretty much infertile for the first 10 years of my marriage and only by the grace of God was I able to get pregnant. once, and only once. My beautiful miracle child!

I believe my body is salt sensitive, carb sensitive and needs a lot of hard cardio to lose weight. Unfortunately, I never have enough energy to get through a hard cardio session and feel light headed and weak a quarter of the way through every time.

I have started to lift weights to maintain some muscle since I am getting older now but it hasn't helped with the fat loss. In addition, I feel that the synthroid triggers something in my body to keep that "hunger" light on all the time. Unless I stuff myself regularly, i go to bed hungry and wake up hungry. I have tried low caloires, eating more to weigh less, cardio, walking, weights, nothing seems to stick. Sometimes I like to blame it on the synthroid/thyroid cancer and the lack of energy I probably could.

I'd love to say one day I'll wake up and figure it all out and it will be as easy as it was before the thyroid surgery but I'm just fooling myself. The older I get the harder it will be.

So 22 years this year, I try to be thankful that I am a survivor and live my life with lots of laughs even it that includes some cheese cake.....and I am learning to relax, let go and let God. Not an easy task.

God Bless.

Diana
  • usAFchickTCS
    Options
    22 years! Wow and Congrats! :smile:

Since I've had my thryoid taken out, my body feels like I'm on a constant roller coaster. I have no energy and feel sick all the time! I don't know how much I can take especially since no one around me knows how I truly feel. It really sucks! :sad:
  • angeltrainer14
    Options
    Hello all!

I had a goiter and had it for many years. In 2011, I switched doctors and they did a needle biopsy and recommended that I have the left side removed. The results showed a "gray" area. Well, after that surgery, the results came back from what was sent away for testing and showed that I had, in fact, had thyroid cancer. They had to remove the rest of my thyroid - total thyroidectomy.

Prior to that, I had weight issues from not enough exercise and eating the wrong things. I had re-focused my life and was able to reach a really healthy state and I was able to burn fat, build muscle and my metabolism was in full force. Since the surgery, I've reached 170 pounds (was 144 prior). I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life.

I had another surgery in the fall (not related to thyroid) and was cleared to resume full workouts in January. I can't believe how much of a difference in how my body responds to my workouts. I'm just as strong and have endurance, but can't seem to get the scale to move backwards at all! I am on synthroid as well and cancer free.

I have been a balanced eater since 2004. I am grateful that I can physically do the things I want to do. I'm just determined to put an end to this mystery that is going on within my body.
  • janel867
    janel867 Posts: 53
    Options
    Hi :) My name is Janel and I'm 33 years old.

In February during a routine physical my doctor felt some swelling in my thyroid so he sent me for blood tests but they came back normal so I was then sent in for an ultra sound. The ultra sound found several nodules and one is the size of a grape (I think the doctor called them nodular goiters but I've seen people refer to them by one or the other but not both) . I am scheduled to see an endocrinologist next month for a sonogram and for them to possibly take a cell sample. This was all very shocking news to me because I feel completely fine and have no health issues. It's a very scary time for me right now and I know you all understand.

It's comforting to know that if anything comes of this that I will be OK (you all are proof!).

Thank you for listening :)
  • Sandie303
    Sandie303 Posts: 14
    Options
    HI, My name is Sandie. My journey has just began with this new normal. I had been having problems with my thyroid for two years. I was 250 lbs and lost down to 188 and then all of a sudden started gaining back weight. The dr sent me for an ultrasound and they found the nodules. The dr took out the half with the bigger nodules and tested it and said he didn't think it was cancer (9/13/2012) On 9/16/12 I found out i was in the 5% and I had cancer. The right was removed on10/11/12 and Rai in Dec. During this time I was not on any medication. I gained back up to 200 lbs and then slowley since Jan I have put weight back on. I had a hysterectomy 6 weeks ago which hendered weight loss as well. I am finally back on track and trying to loose weight as I am back up to 230 lbs at 5'5. I have lost and gained the same 5 lbs for two months. :( SO fustrating. I currently take Vit, D cytomel and Levoxyl. I am ready to fit back into my clothes.

I hope that we can do this together and find out a system or method that works.

Thank you for the group.
  • WrenPat60
    WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am Patsy! I have been on the site for about one year trying to lose weight without too much success. Last fall my doctor found I had thyroid cancer and I had a total thyroidectomy in December 2012. Grateful to be cancer free for now, I am having a hard time controlling my diet and losing weight. What else is new! I am going to try to follow a low glycemic diet. I actually lost five pounds with no problem until my endo doctor said we need to tweek the dosage.

Any suggestions anyone may have are welcome. Every day the scale says something different!
  • Risarox
    Risarox Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lorisa and I am happy to find a group on MFP that addresses thyroid cancer. I was diagnosed in 2007 and had a full thyroidectomy on Xmas eve and I am cancer free. I immediately began loosing weight in 2008 and I lost 70 lbs total with exercise and a healthy diet. However my body is acting out and although I continue to work out 3x a week and watch my calories I've put back on 30lbs over the last 2 years. I know I can be better, and I am starting the INSANITY challenge 9/1. I am frustrated though, I watch my friends make progress with less effort and I know that it's my thyroid or lack there of but my doctor says my levels are fine. I'm trying to find a good endocrinologist since mine left the country (wasn't really sad to see him go). Anyway that is my story, and I'm happy to read more about all of you.
  • CalistaBruno
    CalistaBruno Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Calista and I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in February of 2012. The biopsy came back as negative for cancer and they ended up taking out the right half of my thyroid because it was pressing on my windpipe. A month later, the pathology came back positive for cancer. I've since had two RAI treatments, and am now cancer free!

Recently I've had a bit of trouble adjusting to my thyroid pills. I found out that I'm allergic to one of the components in eltroxin, and I'm slowly starting to feel normal again. I gained about 30 pounds after surgery and am only just starting to lose it again.
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to the group! I wish you the best in your recovery. Keep in touch and let the group know how it is going. It has been 16 months since my thyroid cancer and treatment and I have heard that it takes a good 18 months to physically recover. I feel fine and am holding steady with my weight (that is, I haven't gained any). Losing is the hard part. Lots of fruits, veggies, and protein are key. Good luck!
  • jaye121
    Options
    Struggled with my weight and food issues for years and found out day before yesterday that I have thyroid cancer.
    The thought of gaining weight really scares me.
    I hope I can find some good news out here!
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    Being on MFP has really helped me stay on the course as far as monitoring my weight and a healthy food intake. It is slow but really helpful so I wish you luck in your thyroid journey. Keep in touch!
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wow! 2012 sucked for a lot of us! I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at my 6 week postpartum check-up. So I had a brand new baby and what we use to call "a touch of the cancer" to boot. Surgery was in Sept of 2012, ablation in Feb of 2013, cancer-free since then (so far). Now they're adjusting my medication. And adjusting, and adjusting, and adjusting.......
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! i started this group at the beginning of the year and cancelled my MFP for a long time thinking I could "do it on my own." I managed to find an extra 10 lbs so I got my butt back here! However a year after total thyroidectomy I had a clean 1 year followup, whole body scan and blood work. Meds are where they need to be and I found out (I didn't know) that the Synthroid is based on weight so as the weight comes over be sure and have your labs checked to make sure your meds are where they need to be. Biotin is helping to keep my hair from thinning out and keeping my skin from being like the Sahara like it was after surgery. I went to my Endocrinologist in March and my PCP in April to find out the best weight loss plan for me and both of these ladies told me "you will just gain weight now, most people do and I've never seen anyone lose any." Well let's CHANGE that myth and get on it and support it each other!! im sorry I've been gone, but I'm back now and let's make this our year to get a handle on this nasty thyroid business!
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    Wow! 2012 sucked for a lot of us! I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at my 6 week postpartum check-up. So I had a brand new baby and what we use to call "a touch of the cancer" to boot. Surgery was in Sept of 2012, ablation in Feb of 2013, cancer-free since then (so far). Now they're adjusting my medication. And adjusting, and adjusting, and adjusting.......
    So you have the new baby and the lovely thyroid fatigue...Ugh, Im so sorry. My surgery was August 2012 and RAI was Oct 2012. I can say I'm definitely feeling better than I was even 6 months ago. hang in there and congrats on the new baby! My babies are 17 and 14 lol
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    Being on MFP has really helped me stay on the course as far as monitoring my weight and a healthy food intake. It is slow but really helpful so I wish you luck in your thyroid journey. Keep in touch!

I'm glad to hear that! I know I stay on track when I actually have to keep track of what I put in my mouth
  • racheljs768
    racheljs768 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My name is Rachel. I'm 45 years old & was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer 10 years ago. With the help of some brilliant doctors, I kicked its butt. I've struggled with my weight all my life. Age and the Thyroid issues make it so difficult to lose anything. My scale just sits there... or out of the blue it bumps up higher!
    I'm hard-core on MFP right now, and hoping to keep it going. There are days when I've been so good with everything, and get so frustrated. "I've done all the right stuff for 3 hours & I'm not skinny yet!". Please feel free to 'friend' me, I can use all the encouragement / buddies I can get!
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!! I ended up on MFP (and this group) for a similar reason. Feel free to send an FR if you'd like.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sara
  • cheri26158
    Options
    Hi I am Cheri. I just had a total thyroidectomy on April 4 and I just finished my RAI on July 2. My weight stayed very stable till about the fourth week of off my thyroid pills and while on the LID. I finally gained ten pounds. I realized it was out of my control and if that is the worst that happened to me than GOD bless. In the last year, I survived kidney cancer and I was going to survive this too. Weight can always come off. it may be hard but it can. It is lucky that the leader here had enough foresight to gather everyone for support. I am just four weeks past my RAI and I had chemotherapy yesterday. While my TSH has come back to normal, I decided it was time for me to at least try to get this ten pounds off. So today, I did start a pretty strict diet and feel with that and exercise I will be at my goal in two or three months. Look forward to getting to know everyone and congrats to handling one tough situation where it is up and down with emotions and life for awhile till it gets normal again. cheri