Muscle soreness..how much is normal?

Options
kr381806
kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
Hello all, so I just finished workout 8B yesterday. I have to admit that I feel like I've kicked it into higher gear the past couple workouts because I was still timid and shy of the heavier weights during the first workouts. I plan to tack on a few more at the end to kind of make up for it.

Yesterday, during the deadlifts I increased my weight from 55--65, because the 60# felt too light when I had tried a couple of reps. ( I know, still low weights--i'm working on it!) I didn't feel any pangs of pain or pulls at the time, but later on yesterday my entire lower back began to feel REALLY sore. It even was sore to turn over in bed last night! I know that this soreness could be attributed to adding the weight and straining my body, but I just want to make sure that it's possible I didn't overwork/pull anything..

Also, since i workout MWF I would have to workout 9A tomorrow. Should I still go if I'm feeling this sore? I haven't missed a lifting session, and hate the thought of taking a couple of days off!

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks! :)

Replies

• jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    It's usually OK to work through soreness, but if this is more than typical, I would take the extra day of rest. In stage 1 I was able to do 3 workouts a week like you, but I've noticed in the next stages sometimes I have to have those 2 rest days in between. It sounds like your body is telling you to take the extra day - listen to it!

Maybe go do some light cardio or yoga to work out some of the soreness.

Do you have a foam roller? I've found that helps a lot with sore muscles as well.

Good luck!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    2 workouts in a week is not bad. The book recommends 2 or 3 a week. Maybe instead of lifting Friday, you lift on Saturday. That gives you an extra day off and then you have Sunday off. You can start back up on your schedule on Monday.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Soreness is totally normal, but because its your lower back (and nowhere else?), I wonder if its something more serious. Take another day to figure it out.
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will give my body another day and see how it feels. Who'd ever thought that I'd be getting anxiety about missing lifting?! :)