Reverse Pyramid Routine?

Options
Anyone know of a good routine using dumbbells? I have been reading up on pyramid training and it seems as though reverse pyramid training is a good way to go.

Thanks!

Michelle

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting? Also, what are your goals? Do you have access to a gym or are you limited to the weights you have available?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    bump cause I'm curious about the reverse pyramid routine.

Edit: This is the routine I thought this was about, which uses barbells. http://rippedbody.jp/reverse-pyramid-training/
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I used to lift 10 reps, rest, then heavier 8 reps, rest, then heavier 6 reps. Then two sets of 12 light and easy with the second set being a different exercise for the same body part. I did this routine for major muscles ( shoulders, chest, back, quads and hamstrings) 3 times per week. I loved it at the time and had pretty good results.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    It is not so much a routine as a method of progression. It can be used in any lifting routine. In a normal pyramid routine you start lighter and run up to your heaviest weight (100x10 110x8 120x6). Reverse pyramid is the opposite where you start at the top of the pyramid and do your max effort set (when you are freshest) and work down after that for more volume sets.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting? Also, what are your goals? Do you have access to a gym or are you limited to the weights you have available?

I have been lifting since summer. I don't have access to a gym. I have adjustable weights up to 25lbs.

My goals are to maintain the muscle I have while losing fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Re-bumping this as I realize I had not followed up - sorry - will get to it soon.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    To be honest, as you are limited with your weights, I would not bother with a pyramid routine and just stick with basic progressive loading.

Also, my concern with reverse pyramids specifically, as opposed to traditional pyramids, is that you are going in at the heaviest weight. While I know that you do warm up sets (or should be) the prior working sets at lighter weights seem to me to be a better set up as those sets also act to get you in the 'flow' and to a degree, work on form while still being heavy enough to make strength gains. I get the concept of doing the heavier set first when you are fresh, I just do not see this advantage outweighing the disadvantage. This is a personal preference/viewpoint and it would be great to get other peeps input.

While lifting at a deficit, you are really trying to ensure that you are creating enough stimulus to keep the muscles 'working' and a basic non-pyramid or traditional pyramid routine will do this.