Yoga for a 50-something?

Options
Hi all,
I've joined MFC recently and am trying yoga as part of my workouts. I used to take classes in Ashtanga and other active forms of yoga but I'm worried about putting strain on my knees and hips. Any suggestions for moderating or trying other styles would be appreciated!

Namaste,
David

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your teacher?

Are you worried about the jumpings or something else? I know people over 50 that do Ashtanga, but it is more common to see younger folks in any type of vinyasa class.

I'm totally biased, but I would suggest Iyengar. It has the same lineage (from Krishnamacharya), but the style is totally different. Where there is movement in Ashtanga, there is stillness in Iyengar. Where there is a set form in Ashtanga, there is never a set form in Iyengar (though both have poses that you should master before moving to other poses). Ashtanga is propless, Iyengar is full of props. And where the majority of people are under 40 in Ashtanga, the majority are over 40 in Iyengar. Before anyone jumps down my throat, these are broad generalizations - I have the deepest respect for Ashtangis.

Some other styles you might try, that I know less about, are: Kundalini (more breath work), Viniyoga (movement, but generally more gentle), or general "Hatha" - which is a catch all category for those that do not follow any lineage, but it's usually fairly gentle - but you don't know what you are getting from class to class. Here's a fun quiz to find a style:
    http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/quizzes_and_tools/stylequiz

Best of luck
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Namaste David.

I found myself following Anusara inspired yoga which is very similar to Iyengar in alignment and holding of poses, but also has an Ashtanga flavour in that it also contains flowing sequences together energetically - probably nearer what is currently called yoga flow or vinyasa yoga.

I am 52 and although I have kept myself fit over the years, I only returned to yoga about five years ago and am loving it.

Yoga can only help to strengthen, balance and increase mobility in your knees and hips so as we get older it makes more and more sense to take up a discipline like yoga to stay youthful longer.