Healthy Recipes My Kids Eat

Options
aprrae
aprrae Posts: 172 Member
I am always struggling to find healthy recipes that my entire family will eat. Does anyone have any recipes they's like to share?

Replies

• anewmary
    Options
    Not the healthiest, but not bad either! We just found the Johhsonville Smoked Turkey and Cheese Sausages. I think it is like 150 calories for one (bratwurst sized). Put it on a bun for another 110 calories if you want (I use Koepplinger Wheat). I was VERY surprised when my husband, my teenage son, and my tween son ALL liked them with me. Unheard of! I haven't given them to my 4yo, but she is in a "stage" with eating (grrr, used to almost anything). I use this for a quick lunch on the grill (and yes I live in a very cold state--hubby parked it right near the door!) or even a dinner when I don't have anything planned. Raw veggies could be a great side. If your family wants chips with their "dogs", use the rice crisps. I know the store brand cheesy rice crisps are 70 calories for 9 of them, and my family also likes ranch a bit, and some like the bbq. Oh, and if someone doesn't like them, not hard to throw a hot dog on the grill along with these.

Breaded chicken tenders baked in the oven went over very well--got some recipes off the Betty Crocker site. Add a salad, and a carb if you want.

I use Prego Heart Smart on whole grain thin spaghetti--a healthier version of a big favorite and everyone eats it. Add parmesan cheese instead of mozzarella for just a few more calories.

My younger two aren't soup eaters, but I made Stuffed Pepper Soup, with a serving being under 300 calories and my teen and husband LOVED it. I also do a cheesy potato soup with ham, that I can eat a realistic serving of for around 350-370 calories I think. Both are slow cooker meals.

Wraps are another good idea, because there are enough choices for everyone (when I make them). Sam's Club has these wonderful Sante Fe whole grain tortillas that are huge and soft for only 100 calories (like they completely cover a medium size corelle plate). My personal goal is to only have one. You can use leftover chicken or pork diced up for filling, lean lunchmeats, or Tyson Grilled and Ready chicken strips for the meat. Toppings can be cheeses (I chose a red. fat shred myself), lettuce (I use last and fill mine up). Sauces can be red. fat ranch, salsa, taco sauce, bbq sauce. Its easy enough to offer a couple meat choices, several sauces, etc.