February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Had a complete BAMF moment at the gym this morning. A trainer was working with her client near the squat rack this morning, and when her client went to get water she noticed me putting 45s on the bar for my deadlifts. She told me that was a lot of weight and asked if I could pick it. My response? "Oh, this is still a warm up set."

*Doing a happy dance* OMG...Read this and LOVED it! Warm up set....bahahahahahaha!!!!! *high five* :bigsmile:
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Had a complete BAMF moment at the gym this morning. A trainer was working with her client near the squat rack this morning, and when her client went to get water she noticed me putting 45s on the bar for my deadlifts. She told me that was a lot of weight and asked if I could pick it. My response? "Oh, this is still a warm up set."

*Doing a happy dance* OMG...Read this and LOVED it! Warm up set....bahahahahahaha!!!!! *high five* :bigsmile:

That's awesome!!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    @ Tameko and Dani...body image and weight goals are obviously huge hurdles for me. I'm short, 5'1" and the lowest I've ever weighed as an adult was when I was 29 and weighed 106lbs. Strangely enough, I was a size 6 then. I was at 127 this last summer and was a size 2....back up to 135lbs now and size 4...If I didn't have anyone to compare myself to I'd still say I feel so much better when I can put my hands on my hips and it feels tight...when clothes flow around me...so yeah, I still like to feel lean. I've been feeling that way this week. I am really starting to see some results, I was trying to post a abs definition pic yesterday but photobucket won't save the edited version...and I'm pretty sure that mfp frowns on nipple exposure...my bad. It'll have to wait until I can retake with my modesty on...

@ Vegas...I find myself in that kind of mood often...work sucks a lot of the time. I visualize myself punching the beotches in the throat. I would never do it..but it is fun to think about and talk about. Someone else used this phrase yesterday, and since most of my bosses are women, I loved it. (y'all know I swear like a sailor right?) "kick her in the taco." bwahahahh . Or yeah, wine works.

@doozer, you had me until you threw age in the mix..then I wanted to punch you. I do wear form fitting clothes to the gym...cause its comfortable. I can't really imagine wearing any kind of skirt to the gym...that is um...weird. Still, I reserve the right to dress like a hoe until the day I die...don't you dare try and take that away from me!!!

@juliem Hot Damn!!! I want pics of you in the dress or it didn't happen.

@auddii that is some totally awesome badassery!!! that rocks! love it!

Here's my big news...I didn't get on the scale this morning...I haven't weight myself since Tuesday morning...wow...no really WOW! I'm famous for getting on the scale every time I go to the bathroom...okay...now you know my dirty little secrets..well the ones I'm ashamed of anyway...<snort>

Tonight is the end of week 3 for me. Did anyone have any thoughts about what weight I should associated with the bar on the smith machine...since I still think that is why I stalled on 85lb squats Tuesday when the 80ls in the squat rack were so easy.

No Diggity, I like the way you work it. :bigsmile:
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Tonight is my 3rd SL workout!!! I am so excited about it! I am glad I finally found something I actually want to do. But I am kinda worried about rows tonight. The first time I did them they were pretty hard and could not really finish my last set with good form. So I wonder if I need to do it at the same weight as the first time or do I increase the weight and see how many I can do?
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    @juliej - ok, I had the girls take one of me...I hate having my pic taken, so I totally look like a dork, but you get the idea...

6404325_6496.jpg

Whist still a long way to go...I feel like even now, only a couple weeks in...i still look a helluva LOT better than THIS: *shudder*

6404325_1867.jpg

ETA the correct link...OMG, I cut my own head off...
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    @juliej - ok, I had the girls take one of me...I hate having my pic taken, so I totally look like a dork, but you get the idea...

6404325_6496.jpg

Whist still a long way to go...I feel like even now, only a couple weeks in...i still look a helluva LOT better than THIS: *shudder*

6404325_1867.jpg

You look beautiful!!! you've got a nice little nip in at the waist in the dress...and it sure as hell doesn' t make you look like a sausage. Awesome job Julie! awesome!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    Tonight is my 3rd SL workout!!! I am so excited about it! I am glad I finally found something I actually want to do. But I am kinda worried about rows tonight. The first time I did them they were pretty hard and could not really finish my last set with good form. So I wonder if I need to do it at the same weight as the first time or do I increase the weight and see how many I can do?

@Iam I'm no expert, so wait for them to chime in. I would probably try and add the 5lbs and see how it goes...you can always deload and repeat the weight for some of the sets...but pushing your muscles to perform is where its at...but then again, getting good form is uber important too. So really, I don't think there is a wrong way to do it. If you'd be more comfortable repeating, then repeat...and concentrate on the form.
  • juliemouse83
    Options

You look beautiful!!! you've got a nice little nip in at the waist in the dress...and it sure as hell doesn' t make you look like a sausage. Awesome job Julie! awesome!

Thank you! I have been working SO hard since early January, and I think now that I've found the weights, I've got something I can most assuredly live with because I really like lifting and I love the challenge of me vs. me... :blushing:
  • samfirman
    Options
    Hey there. This is my first post. I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been doing Stonglifts 5x5 for a little over 3 months now. I squat 125#. Bench is 120#. Deadlift 225#. OHP I've kept low because of my God awful form (75#) and same for Barbell Rows (80#). It's so nice to see other women doing this program. I lift with my husband and I love it, but he progresses so much faster than I do. My scale weight has gone up 10lbs but my measurements have stayed the same or gone down. I really love this program. I use the iPhone app. Super handy.

Wow Wow Wow!!! I want to deadlift 225!!!

You'll get there!! I was shocked when I pulled that weight. Best feeling in the world...and I did it in the gym, so there were people around. That felt awesome. LOL. We bought a power cage, so we lift at home now, but the privacy is nice too. :)
  • samfirman
    Options
    I just want to say a HEYOOOGE thank you to everyone that has commented on my weights. It makes me feel amazing!!! The support here is great and exactly what I was needing, so thanks again everyone. You ladies are all awesome and are rocking the lifts!! Keep at it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Personal preference. For rows, I tend to repeat if I have bad form. For some reason with bench, if I feel my form is lacking sometimes I'll push through it and sometimes I don't. There's no reason to feel like YOU MUST STICK WITH THE PROGRAM EXACTLY HOW IT'S WRITTEN (imagine a big, burly guy yelling that in your face). I've done all sorts of adaptations to the program to make it work for me. I have hurt my knee once doing squats, so now I add 5lbs, but only once a week. I use 1.25lb weights so I can increase in 2.5 increments for things like OHP and bench. I'm going to repeat weights for both bench and rows on Sunday because my form last time sucked.
  • auddii
    Options

6404325_6496.jpg

6404325_1867.jpg

I agree, you look fantastic!!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

@Iam I'm no expert, so wait for them to chime in. I would probably try and add the 5lbs and see how it goes...you can always deload and repeat the weight for some of the sets...but pushing your muscles to perform is where its at...but then again, getting good form is uber important too. So really, I don't think there is a wrong way to do it. If you'd be more comfortable repeating, then repeat...and concentrate on the form.

Yay for SL!!!!! In my opinion, and what I've read from Mehdi, finishing reps with bad form is the same as failing....good form on all reps is crucial. I would stay at that weight for another workout and perfect it before moving forward :smile:
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Thank you! I have been working SO hard since early January, and I think now that I've found the weights, I've got something I can most assuredly live with because I really like lifting and I love the challenge of me vs. me... :blushing:

WTG Julie! Definitely not sausage looking at all. And I love the blue shoes!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    Can I just say again how much I :heart: you guys? Thank you for being accepting, non judgemental, knowledgable and a million other wonderful things rolled up into this group. You have never once given me the sick to my stomach feeling I just got in the main forums....I should just stay here...gawd. :explode:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    @Juliejustsaying I support your decision to go out of the house looking anyway you want :) But I'm sure you know when you're choosing to do so. Some of the 21 year olds girls I know or have dated just don't have a clue. Pretty sure by the time you actually are supposed to be a woman you should know better. Probably asking too much in America but oh well.

PS yea I know I shouldn't date 21 year old girls but I'm recently divorced and dating women is a whole different animal. Just not ready for that yet.

Anyways, too much explaining as to my thought process. I usually just dig myself in deeper when I do. Somehow I end up doing it anyways.

Back to normally scheduled programming.

Awesome for starting SL. Normally I would say it really depends on how bad the form was on the rep. I know if I'm struggling to get the bar up through a rep there is going to be some form loss. But if I am just way off I wont count the rep. That said you have only done the Rows once and on stronglifts the first few sessions are supposed to be really easy so that you can get your form down. Personally I would deload I dont know if you started with the recommended or lighter. If you did start with the recommended then I would drop to the bar or even beyond that to a 25 or 35 lb fixed barbell. You want to be able to see yourself progress through this and its not going to help you if its already heavy for you in the 5th set . I have seen a lot of the women starting below recommended and they seem to have a better time with it.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    oh shoot...we have 2 julie's.... I hope I dont get confused....
    Im sleepy...forgot AGAIN what I came here to post

but Heyyy we need a name for the March thread!!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    ....I swear MFP hates me today. :noway:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    Doozer, we good...I tend to get a little irrational and hangry when age is mention...cause well I'm old...I totally support you decision to date 21yo...I myself only started dating a year ago January after an 8 year celebacy streak after a horrific marriage...I think the youngest I went was 26...bwahahahahhah...I settled on 15 years younger than me...which is what my bf is.

and for what its worth...when I go to a metal concert I totally dress like a hoe....I just don't do it at the gym, cause thats effing serious biz.
    [/quote]
  • auddii
    Options
    @Juliejustsaying I support your decision to go out of the house looking anyway you want :) But I'm sure you know when you're choosing to do so. Some of the 21 year olds girls I know or have dated just don't have a clue. Pretty sure by the time you actually are supposed to be a woman you should know better. Probably asking too much in America but oh well.

PS yea I know I shouldn't date 21 year old girls but I'm recently divorced and dating women is a whole different animal. Just not ready for that yet.

Ha, I was seriously going to say I'm not supportive of dating 21 year old girls, but mostly because I'm available. :wink: :laugh: Although I completely understand the not wanting to deal with anything "real" or requiring work after the end of a long relationship (although I was never married). More power to you, and keep getting stronger. Then all the women will flock to you, no matter their age.

Hm, maybe in March we can roll two threads...