February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Hey there. This is my first post. I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been doing Stonglifts 5x5 for a little over 3 months now. I squat 125#. Bench is 120#. Deadlift 225#. OHP I've kept low because of my God awful form (75#) and same for Barbell Rows (80#). It's so nice to see other women doing this program. I lift with my husband and I love it, but he progresses so much faster than I do. My scale weight has gone up 10lbs but my measurements have stayed the same or gone down. I really love this program. I use the iPhone app. Super handy.

Hiya, and welcome! Awesome ladies in here...they are all wonderful - supportive, encouraging, and absolutely bad@$$! :heart:

I'm about to do my last lift for week #2 this evening...Your numbers are inspiring...I want to get there...Slow and steady, tho.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    On a side note...and yes, I cracked myself up...I said the gym was packed, because of the snow storm I went earlier than I normally would have because I have the patience of an ant. So I had to wait for the Smith Machine...and then I did my squates and bp...meanwhile two guys were waiting for me to be done...this would have intimidated me before...but I just kept on..finished up and then walked by the guys saying..."there ya go boys, I warmed it up for you...sorry it took me so long." <snort> They laughed.

L:heart: VE it!!!

PS...WTG on the no scale NSV this a.m.!!!

Speaking of...Does anyone do Wii Fit? I am trying to find a work-around for having it weigh me every morning without giving me the guilt trip from not doing it. It's like the damned thing taunts me when I'm up .7 lbs one morning.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    @juliemouse...yeah, I'd punch the wiifit in the throat...I HATE that thing...like the little "uh oh" and then blowing up my mi just to make me fat...jerks...I haven't been on it since I dropped 40lbs but I'm quite sure it will still mock me, there won't be any wolf whistles..and DAMMIT there SHOULD be...so, meh...ignore the little b@tard. And thanks, I do think the no scale NSV was a biggie...I'm such a freakshow.

@tameko... :cry: I'm sorry you're having a rough week...certainly sounds rough. If it helps we clearly think you're totally awesome. I like your information about weight loss percentage...maybe it'll make me feel better...I'll have to crunch the numbers.

I had another NSV, and frankly I'm good for the rest of the day...whew. We had a fire alarm go off at work...12 flights down, 12 flights up. yeah. I got to the 10th flight before I had to rest...never got past the 6th before..and this time my legs didn't even start to burn until the 6th. I prolly should have pushed through the last flights..but since a bear wasn't after me, I paused. :wink:
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Cannot possibly comment on everything (goodness I am behind, stupid work) but good job everyone.

Hiitme - something you may be interested in is that studies have recently shown that keepign weight loss around .7% of your bodyweight per week or lower helps prevent muscle loss (meanign your pounds lost end up being primarily fat). So if you weigh 175 right now (I don't know, just guessing) then 1.25lb/week is a good target.

Although at the higher ends of obesity muscle loss is actually not a big deal because obese people have a LOT of muscle (to carry the fat around).

I had a very tough time with squats yesterday and then my shoulders were still sore from benching and I ended up weirdly and horribly wrenching my trap last night reaching for something under the bed (I seriously don't even know how) but it seems ok today.... Little sore but not too bad.

Also re: the rowing machine, thanks for the tips everyone. I WAS pushing with my feet, but there's a constant partial rotating of your shoulder as you move back and forth and THAT is what was painful in the beginning, just the actual motion, not the strain of pulling. I'm really having a not-too-good week in the gym - I'm managing all my reps but its been TOUGH.

as of today I weigh 190 even.... with 50 pounds to go to maintenance goal.... 61 pounds to go to vanity goal of 129 ( a dream ....I only wish to go there for 1 day, as it was what I weighed at my 1st post-partum checkup years ago)
    my math skills arent the best but I think that puts me at 13.3 lbs /month ( using 7% figure) and 3.3 lbs/week...
    as I said Im not MAD at only 10 pounds ( I hadnt weighed myself yet today when I measured) just knowing I couldve lost more had I stuck to the plan

hope you feel better and the next workout will rock for you...I REALLY appreciate all of the support and info you share...

@samfirman....Welcome aboard
  • samfirman
    Options
    @HIITme Thank you!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Cannot possibly comment on everything (goodness I am behind, stupid work) but good job everyone.

Hiitme - something you may be interested in is that studies have recently shown that keepign weight loss around .7% of your bodyweight per week or lower helps prevent muscle loss (meanign your pounds lost end up being primarily fat). So if you weigh 175 right now (I don't know, just guessing) then 1.25lb/week is a good target.

Although at the higher ends of obesity muscle loss is actually not a big deal because obese people have a LOT of muscle (to carry the fat around).

I had a very tough time with squats yesterday and then my shoulders were still sore from benching and I ended up weirdly and horribly wrenching my trap last night reaching for something under the bed (I seriously don't even know how) but it seems ok today.... Little sore but not too bad.

Also re: the rowing machine, thanks for the tips everyone. I WAS pushing with my feet, but there's a constant partial rotating of your shoulder as you move back and forth and THAT is what was painful in the beginning, just the actual motion, not the strain of pulling. I'm really having a not-too-good week in the gym - I'm managing all my reps but its been TOUGH.

as of today I weigh 190 even.... with 50 pounds to go to maintenance goal.... 61 pounds to go to vanity goal of 129 ( a dream ....I only wish to go there for 1 day, as it was what I weighed at my 1st post-partum checkup years ago)
    my math skills arent the best but I think that puts me at 13.3 lbs /month ( using 7% figure) and 3.3 lbs/week...
    as I said Im not MAD at only 10 pounds ( I hadnt weighed myself yet today when I measured) just knowing I couldve lost more had I stuck to the plan

hope you feel better and the next workout will rock for you...I REALLY appreciate all of the support and info you share...

Its actually 1.33/week, for 5.5 (roughly) pounds per month, that would be ideal at least based on the data from that study. Long held traditional wisdom on weight loss is that 1%/week is appropriate, which would be a little under 1.9lbs/week.

Also you shouldn't feel like you control the rate of loss - I mean yes to some extent, but if I was to drop my calories by 500 and stick with it very hard, I personally wouldn't lose as fast as I 'should' at those numbers (if at all, last time I stuck hard to 1750 for a month I didn't lose anything and I was miserable), because my body just shuts down when I do a big deficit. Some people do just fine at big deficits though.

Either way though, I think if its working you should stick with it, but not necessarily push yourself to lose 10-15/month. I'd plan to lose no more than 1.9/month.

Also - this is just to warn you - you might never see 129 again, if you were very young or very low in LBM at that point in your life. I'm 20 lbs heavier than I was right after college, but I wear the same size clothing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Its actually 1.33/week, for 5.5 (roughly) pounds per month, that would be ideal at least based on the data from that study. Long held traditional wisdom on weight loss is that 1%/week is appropriate, which would be a little under 1.9lbs/week.

Also you shouldn't feel like you control the rate of loss - I mean yes to some extent, but if I was to drop my calories by 500 and stick with it very hard, I personally wouldn't lose as fast as I 'should' at those numbers (if at all, last time I stuck hard to 1750 for a month I didn't lose anything and I was miserable), because my body just shuts down when I do a big deficit. Some people do just fine at big deficits though.

Either way though, I think if its working you should stick with it, but not necessarily push yourself to lose 10-15/month. I'd plan to lose no more than 1.9/month.

Also - this is just to warn you - you might never see 129 again, if you were very young or very low in LBM at that point in your life. I'm 20 lbs heavier than I was right after college, but I wear the same size clothing.

I think she meant per week :smile:

ETA: I always find these statements amazing but awesome:
    I'm 20 lbs heavier than I was right after college, but I wear the same size clothing.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all the NSV's!! Very strong people in this group!

Amazing photos!!

Sorry about the injuries.

Welcome to the new people!

Squats: 75
    I am finally back up to 95 lb DL!! Whoopie!! Big Plates!!!
    OHP 60

I have to remember to go slowly now. I don't want to hurt myself again. Starting over was ok but I don't really want to do it again.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

I'm 20 lbs heavier than I was right after college, but I wear the same size clothing.

I have one too! I am at least 10 pounds heavier than I was in University, but I wear the same size clothing, too. :happy:
  • tameko2
    Options

I think she meant per week :smile:

Oops, yes I did.

And yes, its actually kind of sad, I had dieted down over the summer (almost on accident actually) because my day intake looked like:

10am, roll out of bed, get a soy latte (~170) and a package of madelines (~210)
    Parked at the college and walked to class (had to finish it to graduate) which was 4 hours with a break.
    Drove to the barnes and nobles, had something like a large iced tea (unsweetened) and a piece of cheesecake (~600?)
    Went home, had a bit of whatever super healthy food my mom had prepared (her salads have raw cabbage and broccoli in them) (~300-400 cals)
    Sat all afternoon and night playing WoW
    Sleep
    Start over

Got down to 143, but was fat because low calories + no activity = no muscle mass. So I was an 8 at 143. and I'm an 8 now. And I still have some of the same clothes to prove it. Actually, 20+ lbs because right now I weigh like 167.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sam!!!

I love coming here and seeing everyone be so supportive and uplifting.....I swear, checking this thread is the first thing I do when I get home. Especially today.

I. AM. SO.EFFING.GRUMPY.

So bad. Like I am going to lose my *kitten* on everyone and anyone. And that means I'm bound to be unreasonable. Which I am being completely unreasonable right now. Which means my man friend is completely in the dog house. Because I am being an effing nutcase.

I hate men.

That is all.

:explode:

ETA: and my boss is man. And I hate him too right now. So double :explode: :explode:

I really think that is all this time :frown:
  • HIITMe
    Options
    I know getting to 129 is a pipe dream.... I just wanna taste it, I promise I wont inhale..... Im a solid size 12 now at 190 lbs.... I was size 8 at 130....so suffice to say my body comp has changed.... Im bottom heavy ( pear shaped)

i know we arent supposed to get caught up in numbers or clothes sizes but If i get to size 8, with decent lean muscle and low body fat ( no cellulite) I dont care what number the scale says, I'd be in heaven

Ive already purchased a pair of booty shorts in size 8 as inspiration

I workout at the Y so wearing compression shorts with my *kitten* hanging out is a no go there but getting to that point of fitness is no less desired by me, Queen of Vain
  • HIITMe
    Options
    awwww Vegas have a drink and daydream about basing em upside the head hope your angst passes soon so we wont need to bail you out
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

I hate men.

Gonna go hide now.

jk I hate men too they're stupid and smelly.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hey there. This is my first post. I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been doing Stonglifts 5x5 for a little over 3 months now. I squat 125#. Bench is 120#. Deadlift 225#. OHP I've kept low because of my God awful form (75#) and same for Barbell Rows (80#). It's so nice to see other women doing this program. I lift with my husband and I love it, but he progresses so much faster than I do. My scale weight has gone up 10lbs but my measurements have stayed the same or gone down. I really love this program. I use the iPhone app. Super handy.

Wow Wow Wow!!! I want to deadlift 225!!!
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    @juliemouse...yeah, I'd punch the wiifit in the throat...I HATE that thing...like the little "uh oh" and then blowing up my mi just to make me fat...jerks...I haven't been on it since I dropped 40lbs but I'm quite sure it will still mock me, there won't be any wolf whistles..and DAMMIT there SHOULD be...so, meh...ignore the little b@tard. And thanks, I do think the no scale NSV was a biggie...I'm such a freakshow.

And have you ever noticed how it kind of moans when you step on it? GRRRRRR….But I love the cardio aspect cuz it’s fun, and I apparently have issues with balance (I fall. A lot) so I do those. Not loving the Yoga or strength, but as long as I get a burn from playing…I just hate how sarcastic it can be…”Oh…too busy to work out?” No, dammit, I simply forgot to log yesterday’s bad@$$ lift is all…Jerk. :bigsmile:
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    @Vegas - I’m sorry…that was totally me on Monday. I’m so glad it was a lift night, otherwise I would have probably hurt someone (especially the scrawny, sawed off little rat b#####d that was talking smack about my department…SOB hasn’t picked up anything heavier than a mop in his life.) Oooo…yeah, I am apparently harboring a bit of hostility, still.

I’m gonna go have a well deserved glass of wine. :smile:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is weird. I have only been doing some ab exercises for maybe about 2 weeks, and only a few times a week, but my abdomen is getting pretty solid and sort of muscly already. My thigh just above my knee, is pretty rock solid, when sitting the area looks pretty large to me and I cannot deny, it was stressing me out a bit. I think it is very diffficult seeing your body change when you have a history of anorexia and have had long periods of being very thin, or lean with less muscle. To adjust to accepting the change. My aim for most of my life has been to be thin, a small size, a light weight. That is several decades, basically. Changing my mindset is not smooth sailing.
  • tameko2
    Options
    It is weird. I have only been doing some ab exercises for maybe about 2 weeks, and only a few times a week, but my abdomen is getting pretty solid and sort of muscly already. My thigh just above my knee, is pretty rock solid, when sitting the area looks pretty large to me and I cannot deny, it was stressing me out a bit. I think it is very diffficult seeing your body change when you have a history of anorexia and have had long periods of being very thin, or lean with less muscle. To adjust to accepting the change. My aim for most of my life has been to be thin, a small size, a light weight. That is several decades, basically. Changing my mindset is not smooth sailing.

This is really normal but if you want it, you can have it. Anytime you're freaking out about your body just reach out and talk to someone about it, it can really help
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

This is really normal but if you want it, you can have it. Anytime you're freaking out about your body just reach out and talk to someone about it, it can really help

Thanks Tameko. My mother is not very sympathetic to the freaking out. But I looked down at my legs in winter tights for the first time since xmas while sat down for dinner and noticed they are much larger than they were back then just above the knee, not just imagination, I can tell by my hand span, lol as I used to rest my hands across my legs or grasp my thighs above my knees to check the muscle. Obviously, with my history, my reaction was to feel panicked and fat and to wonder if maybe I have been overdoing the calories. I have been eating at close to 3000 some days. Not junk, just a lot of chicken or fish, greek yoghurt, cheese, sweet potatoes, veggies, fruits and such things.