Talking to your doctor about eating Primal

Options
hilliardjoe
hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
I have heard stories of people going to their doctors and having them be upset with people who follow the primal/paleo lifestyle.

Have some here had this experience?

My company pays for everyone working there to have blood work done once a year and I have had it done for a few years now. It seems to be a pretty thorough test since the results take up most of a regular sheet of paper and takes a couple weeks to get after the test.

My blood draw is scheduled for the end of February and I am thinking of scheduling my annual physical for some time after I get the blood work results back and then talk to her about my results. I am also thinking of taking in my previous years results so she can get some sense of my blood work history.

Does this sound like a decent plan? I am hopeful that the results will be better than before but I will have been living primal for 3-4 months when I meet with her so I don't know how much better they will be.

She is a DO so I hope that means she may be more open to the primal/paleo lifestyle.

Replies

• stormynytes4ever
    stormynytes4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love getting my doctors' feedback on my primal lifestyle, mainly because my success usually surprises them. I say go for it, it's one of the best ways to track your health results and get an educated professional opinion. That, in my opinion, is the best feedback you can ever hope to get. I nearly shocked my Endocrinologist by correcting what we originally suspected was a faulty thyroid, which I'm now convinced must've been a gluten alergy that no one realised I had. It's definately a good feeling.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I would also take the work "paleo" and "primal" out of the conversation. Most people, doctors included, feel the terms equal fad diet. I would state I'm concentrating on eating whole meats, veggies, fruits and nuts. I have found I feel best when I don't eat grains and sugars. Along with your weight loss, I bet you will get praise rather than concern.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I would also take the work "paleo" and "primal" out of the conversation. Most people, doctors included, feel the terms equal fad diet. I would state I'm concentrating on eating whole meats, veggies, fruits and nuts. I have found I feel best when I don't eat grains and sugars. Along with your weight loss, I bet you will get praise rather than concern.

^^^ This. I've found the same thing. If you mention you're doing paleo/primal to anyone, it's a fad diet. But if you just say, I'm eating meat and veggies at my meals and my snacks consist of berries or nuts, they are fine with it.
  • ajwolters
    Options
    Last February, my cholesterol was way up (on my profile if you want to see the numbers), and my PA mentioned statins. I raised a brow at him, and told him I'd get back on my Paleo diet and we'll see how it looks next time. The numbers went down after 4 months of not-quite Paleo, and down even further by my December blood draw (also on my profile). I go back July 3 and will see how things look then. I'm eating much better now, so I expect more improvement.

The PA was interested in the diet, and this is in the office of a DO. I think it's good to be honest with your doctor, and as others have said, you don't have to name the diet, you can just say you've cut out grains, legumes, most dairy, and sugar.
  • stormynytes4ever
    stormynytes4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Last February, my cholesterol was way up (on my profile if you want to see the numbers), and my PA mentioned statins. I raised a brow at him, and told him I'd get back on my Paleo diet and we'll see how it looks next time. The numbers went down after 4 months of not-quite Paleo, and down even further by my December blood draw (also on my profile). I go back July 3 and will see how things look then. I'm eating much better now, so I expect more improvement.

The PA was interested in the diet, and this is in the office of a DO. I think it's good to be honest with your doctor, and as others have said, you don't have to name the diet, you can just say you've cut out grains, legumes, most dairy, and sugar.
    ^ this, for the win. :) my docs were shocked, and my grin was at Cheshire cat level.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll just go with mentioning what I cut out, not necessarily the reason why.