Chewable Vitamins

Options
Id like to know where would be the cheapest place to buy ALL the vitamins Im gonna need for the rest of my life...LOL I know there are thrifty shoppers out there who have found the best deals. Care to share your info. with me...LOL

Replies

• ZenRach
    ZenRach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I buy my vitamins through Sam's Club - it's the only wholesale club in my area. I started out with 'Flintstones' chewables for kids, and after a while (maybe 3 months) I found that I could take regular vitamin pills again. I double the dosage per my dietician's orders. I've been doing pills for about a year, and the only deficiency I have is Vitamin D (which is a prescription from the doctor and also a pill). I hope you don't get stuck with chewables forever. I still have some chewable vitamins that I just can't seem to make myself take. :tongue:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I get most of my vitamins from CVS when they have their BOGO free sales. The only chewable I use are my multi. My B12 is sublingual, but everything else is pills.
  • cecilialibra
    Options
    I found generic Tums 500 mg for under a dollar at WalMart. You have to take four a day, but they're tiny and taste pretty decent. And whenever I buy something that costs less than a dollar, I'm jazzed! I swear... I think they were 84 cents!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    TUMS are calcium carbonate which is not well absorbed after WLS and increase our changes of getting kidney stones.
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What a bubble buster but true...calcium citrate is best for our special needs:)
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I get most of my vitamins from CVS when they have their BOGO free sales. The only chewable I use are my multi. My B12 is sublingual, but everything else is pills.

I get everything I need at CVS too. I just started buying their calcium w/vit D chews, they are great. I also buy the CVS Spectravite chewable multi vitamin. I get my Biotin and sublingual B12 when they have BOGO too! I also get my protein powder there too, Body Fortress is awesome. Best prices and one stop shopping!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I can't swallow tablets now but chewable multivitamins make me sick or give me migraines. I buy standard multivitamins and grind them up in my pill grinder and then mix them with my morning porridge or greek yogurt. You can't really taste them.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My WLS program only allows Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage vitamins due to them seeing the best lab results post op from these. I use Celebrate brand and you can buy them from the company that makes them, Celebrate or get some of them at Bariatric Choice website. The cost is about the same and I always buy $50 worth at Bariatric Choice for free shipping. Nice thing about Bariatric Choice is, if you buy something and then don't like it even after opening it up and taking some or eating some of the food, you can return it up to 90 days after you ordered and get a credit or exchange. This came in handy when I had boughten the chewable vitamins right after sleeve surgery and then I couldn't tolerate them and had to switch to multi vitamin capsules and calcium citrate chews. I returned the chewables and got the capsules and chews. You might wanna go that route in case you can tolerate them right after surgery.
    Only calcium citrate is absorbed after WLS. The OTC calcium chews won't work. Caltrate does sell Calcium citrate pills you can get at Walmart but I had to take 8 a day and they are oddly shaped and even cutting them in half I gag on them right after surgery and have tried to take them since then and still have issues even though I can swallow other pills with no problems.
    You WLS program nut should go over what vitamins you need to take post op and how many and what brands they recommend.
    Good luck!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I have used Celebrate since surgery, and am very happy. Everything we need is in there, and it's like having candy st the same time. Yummy.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I use Bariatric Fusion
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My WLS program only allows Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage vitamins due to them seeing the best lab results post op from these. I use Celebrate brand and you can buy them from the company that makes them, Celebrate or get some of them at Bariatric Choice website. The cost is about the same and I always buy $50 worth at Bariatric Choice for free shipping. Nice thing about Bariatric Choice is, if you buy something and then don't like it even after opening it up and taking some or eating some of the food, you can return it up to 90 days after you ordered and get a credit or exchange. This came in handy when I had boughten the chewable vitamins right after sleeve surgery and then I couldn't tolerate them and had to switch to multi vitamin capsules and calcium citrate chews. I returned the chewables and got the capsules and chews. You might wanna go that route in case you can tolerate them right after surgery.
    Only calcium citrate is absorbed after WLS. The OTC calcium chews won't work. Caltrate does sell Calcium citrate pills you can get at Walmart but I had to take 8 a day and they are oddly shaped and even cutting them in half I gag on them right after surgery and have tried to take them since then and still have issues even though I can swallow other pills with no problems.
    You WLS program nut should go over what vitamins you need to take post op and how many and what brands they recommend.
    Good luck!

They cannot "force" you to use the brands they recommend. My labs are great and I take inexpensive vitamins.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bariatric advantage gave me migraines and a uk called forceval made me throw up. My dietitian said any complete multivitamin is fine with my sleeve. I only need to take it for the first year or if my bloods show a lack of something. My recent bloods all came back fine so my generic multivitamin and food is giving me all I need.

The bariatric advantage ones were a very expensive mistake!!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If you look at the labels, Celebrate and Bariatric Advantage are good vitamins but Centrum is very comparable if you take a double dose. And much cheaper! I alternate between Centrum (or the Store Brand of them Centrum) and Celebrate and my labs are great with both.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes I understand this and they don't force you to buy those two specific brands but I do what they say since they are the experts. I am a "rule follower" what can I say! I don't want to deal with any nut. deficencies and have had great lab results at 1, 3, 6, and just recently 10 months post op.
    It is important to realize though that some OTC vitamins you buy aren't enough for WLS people and that you must get Calcium Citrate and not Calcium Carbonate for the calcium since WLS people don't absorp Calcium Carbonate.
    Good luck!

They cannot "force" you to use the brands they recommend. My labs are great and I take inexpensive vitamins.
  • cspinelli712
    cspinelli712 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just saw this posting, I am 4 months post op, I had my gastric bypass on March 11, 2013. I have been taking the vitamins my nut sells from her office but I am starting to feel the pain of the cost of these vitamins. I bought them off of her because she told me hers were the best (of course they are), but I have decided to start going my own way with vitamins. I have ordered Fussion vitamins and cannot wait to see my lab results in a few months. Since we all have to take vitamins for the rest of our lives it is important to get the best vitamins for the least amount of money. I have also just ordered Andrew Lessmans vitamins for skin, hair and nails and have just started taking them. these pills are great since his pills are small and easy to swallow. His vitamin line is offered on HSN.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I just saw this posting, I am 4 months post op, I had my gastric bypass on March 11, 2013. I have been taking the vitamins my nut sells from her office but I am starting to feel the pain of the cost of these vitamins. I bought them off of her because she told me hers were the best (of course they are), but I have decided to start going my own way with vitamins. I have ordered Fussion vitamins and cannot wait to see my lab results in a few months. Since we all have to take vitamins for the rest of our lives it is important to get the best vitamins for the least amount of money. I have also just ordered Andrew Lessmans vitamins for skin, hair and nails and have just started taking them. these pills are great since his pills are small and easy to swallow. His vitamin line is offered on HSN.

I started off with Bariatric Advantage and after a couple of months just couldn't afford them. I did find Bariatric Fusion and they are considerably cheaper. But....I began using VitaFusion gummy multi Women's complete formula and they are found at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. Very, very cheap. I am now using the Citracal chocolate chews because they are very comparable to the Bariatric Advantage calcium chewables. I still use my sublingual B12 Bariatric Advantage, but when I run out, I did find the same dosage sublingual at Walmart also. The only chewable I have not found, but use a regular pill for is my iron--but I don't take it daily because I get enough in my diet. My labs have always been excellent, so I know I am getting what I need. Just a little homework and it's easy to find the supplements that are affordable for any budget. And no, no one can force anyone to purchase their product. I definitely am someone who has to spend wisely.
  • cspinelli712
    cspinelli712 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ann thanks for your reply and I check out the vitamins that you have suggested. I have been loosing lots of hair each day and I need to be on these vitamins for at least 30 days to know if they are doing their job especially the Andrew Lessman skin, hair and nails from HSN. I will keep you posted.