Advice/Suggestions/Comments on My Food Diary

Options
Hello everyone :)

I have been eating primal for almost two weeks now and was curious if any more experienced primal/paleo eaters out there could take a look at a few of my days and give me some feedback! Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying my best to follow the primal blueprint. I am 5'6", ~149lbs, 24 years old, and though I don't like to admit it, lead a very sedentary lifestyle (especially the last couple weeks as I have just been at home and job hunting). Thanks!

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    No one? :frown:
  • dwest1976
    dwest1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty hardcore to me, though I am no expert. If you wanted to take it a step further you could substitute the butter with Ghee (clarified). Also might be useful to track Potassium, as you want to try to take in more potassium than Sodium I am told.

I don't see too many Red peppers. Red Peppers and Spinach can knock out your daily requirements of many vitamins in a snap.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    What goals you are looking to achieve by eating primal/paleo? That might also help us help you.

Example: If you're looking to build muscle, I'd say more protein. (actually, I'd say more protein either way, but esp if you're looking to build muscle!)
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    1. Your calorie intake is too low. Without doing the math I'd assume your TDEE is around 2000 a day even just sitting around and you shouldn't really cut it less than 20%

2. You should be eating approx. 1 g of protein per lb of lean body mass. If you know what your bf % is you can figure this out pretty easily.

3. Increase your fat. It should account for 40-50% of your macros. My ratios are set up for 15-20 c/35 p/45-50 f
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Looks good, I say. Your macro ratio is a bit higher on the carb-side than most who eat primal/paleo but still well within acceptable ranges, I think. If it's weight-loss you're after, then this is a fine start.

If you're asking for feedback because you're not progressing, then I'd say lower carb, and increase fat, intake. If you're just curious to see if you're doing it right, then I say the answer is, yes, you are.
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to attempt to reply to a few people at once so bare with me.

@dwest1976 Not sure what Ghee is but I will look into it. I was tracking potassium up until yesterday, I found a lot of foods don't have potassium information listed that I'm tracking, but I try to keep my sodium low. I just bought some spinach, thanks for the tips!

@shar140 Right now I'm trying to lose about 20lbs, as I get closer to my goal I plan on adding in strength training. I try to get in my protein, but my budget is ridiculously tight and I really only buy meat when it's on sale since it's expensive here. This will change in the near future when I have an income.

@cbear017 I've used the TDEE calculators before but I know from personal experience that I gain if eat above ~1900. With little to no exercise I'm getting about ~1700-1900 TDEE just averaging a few calculators, but I'll think about adding a hundred or so calories to my day and see how it goes. I've been trying to follow 0.7g/lb of lean mass since I literally don't do strength training as of yet and sit at a desk all day. Also, my fat is currently set to 55%.

@strychnine7 I've been following this for only about 2 weeks, but I am seeing progress so far. Thanks!

Whew, okay, I think I got everyone. Thanks very much for the tips everyone, I will try to incorporate the advice! :flowerforyou:
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you some good advice already, and I especially agree with what cbear has suggested which it seems you've got handled already. I just took a quick look through your diary and it looks pretty good, although I just thought I'd point out that you may want to try finding a different brand of breakfast sausages. Johnsonville sausages have a fair amount of added sugar (displayed in the ingredients as the third ingredient - corn syrup) and salt/MSG. If you're not concerned about added sugars, than it's not a big deal :)

That being said, it's pretty easy to make your own breakfast sausage patties! You just need some ground pork (or meat of choice) and a good spice blend. I like to make up a few lbs worth of patties at once and then freeze most of them for easy breakfasts later on. I don't have to worry about what's been added, I can adjust spices to my liking, and I don't have to pay ridiculous prices for it!

Instead of butter or ghee you could also use coconut oil. It's a nice healthy fat and can be used pretty much any place you would use butter (even in baking). It's solid at room temperature and liquid when warmed (depending on the temp where you live of course). It doesn't have a coconut-y flavour unless you get the extra virgin oil.

Good luck!
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options
    Everyone has given you some good advice already, and I especially agree with what cbear has suggested which it seems you've got handled already. I just took a quick look through your diary and it looks pretty good, although I just thought I'd point out that you may want to try finding a different brand of breakfast sausages. Johnsonville sausages have a fair amount of added sugar (displayed in the ingredients as the third ingredient - corn syrup) and salt/MSG. If you're not concerned about added sugars, than it's not a big deal :)

That being said, it's pretty easy to make your own breakfast sausage patties! You just need some ground pork (or meat of choice) and a good spice blend. I like to make up a few lbs worth of patties at once and then freeze most of them for easy breakfasts later on. I don't have to worry about what's been added, I can adjust spices to my liking, and I don't have to pay ridiculous prices for it!

Instead of butter or ghee you could also use coconut oil. It's a nice healthy fat and can be used pretty much any place you would use butter (even in baking). It's solid at room temperature and liquid when warmed (depending on the temp where you live of course). It doesn't have a coconut-y flavour unless you get the extra virgin oil.

Good luck!

Thanks! Yes, I've been trying to find a better alternative for those sausages, they aren't even really all that tasty, but I bought a big pack so I didn't want to waste them. I was also looking at coconut oil, but haven't found it at an affordable price near me yet. It was actually hard to track down in the first place which is probably why it's more expensive.
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options
    Yea I'm a big breakfast sausage fan myself so I know how hard it can be to find something! Definitely don't waste them ;)

I normally support buying things from small local stores as much as possible, but when it comes to coconut oil your best (i.e. cheapest) bet is probably to order online. Tropical Traditions is a popular vendor and they can have some great sales on big bulk buys (trust me, once you start using coconut oil you will probably go through a LOT, quicker than you imagined!). I've heard several people who've had good success buying from Amazon as well, though I've never used it myself.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Agree with PP about the sausage - I eat processed sausage from time to time - but be sure to look at those labels...

Get rid of the crappy salad dressing - it isn't doing you any favors - make your own with good EVOO (extra virgin Olive Oil) - I make my own using some EVOO, some balsamic vinger and some spicy brown mustard - shake up and yummm.

Coconut oil is a good fat to use to saute - it can be a little on the expensive side - do you have a Trader Joes near you by any chance - if so they have jars for $6 - I can usually find it in my "natural food" isle for under $10 - just look for virgin cold pressed. Yes it can be a little on the expensive side - but a jar should last for a while if you are using it like butter to saute here and there.

IMO things like coconut Oil and EVOO are two things you should spend a little more on to get good quality.

I would also maybe add in some things like avocado to boost up your good fat intake.

If you are looking to cut carbs I maybe would limit yourself to 1 serving of fruit a day - you are doing good by keeping to the lower carb/sugar fruits to begin with - but since you are also adding in some higher carb./sugar veggies (like baby carrots) you have to balance it out - IF you are looking to cut carbs and sugar
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

Any recommendations on spices? and just used ground pork? like pork tenderloin or something?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I second the "increase fat" sentiment. When I started MFP I was at 60% and it wasn't quite enough (you are at 55%). I have my settings at 70% now but I try for 80%. The more fat I eat, the better I feel and, amazingly, the more weight I lose. But, I also keep my carbs very low too. I'm finding that a ketogenic version of paleo/primal is working best for me. I'm most concerned about health, rather than just weight loss, and it is my opinion that my very low carb eating plan has played the largest role in resolving all of my serious health issues. If I have too much "healthy" fruit it actually derails my progress (but blueberries are AWESOME!).
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options
    For breakfast sausages I use this one mostly, but there are plenty out there!
    http://cavemanfood.blogspot.ca/2009/03/turkey-or-pork-breakfast-sausage.html

There's a recipe for Italian Sausage spices in Well Fed that I really love as well. I've used that one with ground beef and ground pork with good success. You can usually buy ground pork just like you would buy ground beef. You can also use ground turkey, chicken, or some combination if that's what you have :)

Edited to add: Agree about the salad dressings. There are so many great & easy options for fresh homemade dressing! Some of my favorites are just simple vinaigrettes that I found in Cook's Illustrated or a Julia Child cookbook. If you make your own mayo, you can also use that for making your own dressings.
  • marilyn6180
    Options
    In our area the Amish grocery stores usually have Coconut Oil (they are somewhat oriented towards healthy eating). I can get a gallon of it for $16 US here in Wisconsin (and Iowa).
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options
    The salad dressing is also me being very against wasting. I believe it expires soon, so when it's no good anymore I'll get rid of it and make my own, but until then.