Starting over - AGAIN.

Options
bms34b
bms34b Posts: 401 Member
Alright. SOO I got through stage 1 last summer at my parent's home gym. Then, when I went to school with the free, fully loaded gym, I decided to start over with better equipment and really stay consistant with eating. All was going well until I hurt myself while lifting, and ended up with a herniated disk and a pinched nerve.

ANYWAY, I started again yesterday! I'm thinking about cutting stage one in half and just doing 4A's and 4B's before moving onto the second stage. I'm eager for progress.

Thoughts on this?

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'd do the whole thing. Stage 1 lays the groundwork and builds the strength for the other stages, IMO, and it's been awhile since you lifted.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you hurt yourself lifting, that you need the solid foundation that stage 1 gives you. I agree with chicbuc. I personally skipped 1A4 and 1B4 because I was anxious to move on, but it was about my 4th time doing stage 1.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Alright guys - update. I emailed Lou, author of book, not really expecting a response, but - here's the correspondance in case you're interested!

Hello Lou!

First of all - loved the book NROLFW, and I love the workouts. I have my dad hooked on NROLFL, and he's loving it too.

I have a question about starting over.

Background info:
    During the summer of 2012, I completed stage 1 in my parent's home gym while I was home from school. They had pretty much all of the equiptment I needed, save a squat rack. So I just squatted as much as I could clean over my head and put on my shoulders (around 45 to 50 pounds). Once it came time for school, I was ready for stage 2, but after a month long break while travelling, I decided to start stage 1 over again with the school's gym equipment which includes a squat rack. That all went great - until I hurt my back while using bad form doing seated forward rows (herniated disk and pinched nerve). I've been through PT and am all OK by doctors to resume lifting, and don't worry, I've realized my flaws in form and what NOT to do.

My question is:
    Now that I have been NOT working out for about 4 months, should I redo stage 1 in its entirety? Should I just do half, 4 of workout A and 4 of workout B? Or should I go on to stage 2? I'm eager for progress, and was planning on doing half of stage 1, but I also want to do this right.

Thank you!

Briana, honestly, I wouldn't go back to that program at all following an injury like yours.

It pains me to say this, but I just don't think the program is flexible enough. Our two most recent books -- NROL for Life and Supercharged -- are set up so you have lots of alternatives to exercises like barbell back squats and deadlifts. Those exercises may be fine for you, but without knowing you and seeing your form, I'd be very hesitant to suggest that you resume doing squats with a barbell resting on your upper back. That's a lot of direct pressure on an area that's already suffered a serious injury.

There are many ways to build muscle and develop strength. The barbell back squat is a great exercise, but it's not for everyone.

I don't say that to try to sell you another book. In fact, I have a copy of the uncorrected proofs of Supercharged. It has some typos and other problems, but otherwise it's the same book that just came out in hardcover. (It looks like a standard paperback.) Send me your mailing address, and I'll mail you the proofs. If you want, you can do the NROL for Women workouts, but swap in alternative exercises from Supercharged. Or you can do the workouts in Supercharged (which, in my opinion, are better for most people anyway).

Deal?

Lou

WOW What a nice guy, and what clear advice! He's sending me a book so I can work out and not get hurt. Awesome.
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow, love Lou! What a great story, thanks for sharing.

As someone who took almost 6 months of fits and starts and do-overs to get through Stage 1, I'm happy to report I'm starting Stage 2 today! Hopefully I can keep some momentum going forward...
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    That is so cool! What a stand-up guy!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Alright guys - update. I emailed Lou, author of book, not really expecting a response, but - here's the correspondance in case you're interested!

WOW What a nice guy, and what clear advice! He's sending me a book so I can work out and not get hurt. Awesome.

that is REALLY impressive!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    That is amazing. Gotta have respect for people who are honest and truly care about others.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    that's amazing! I had to laugh, my name is Briana (same spelling and all!), so I started reading this thread and kind went "WTF..." when I saw that Lou's response started with my name. LOL.

Anyways, this gave me the answer I was looking for. I completed stages 1 and 2, and then took what was supposed to be 2 week break from lifting. My body had other plans. I have mild lymphadema in my right arm , and it flared up after a plane ride and has gotten severe enough that it's affecting my grip, my circulation, etc,etc so I had to stop lifting. Now I'm in PT and getting a compression sleeve and my onc has given me the green light to start lifting again so I'm gearing up to start this next week and couldn't decide whether I should start the program over again at stage 1. I was really excited to start stage 3, but I need to be smart about it, so I'll start with stage one...again.

Anyways, I'm glad I found this thread, and I think Lou's response to you is awesome!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH for asking this. I went through a similar situation with NROL4W and a back injury, and have been nervous going back to squatting and DL'ing the weight I was doing before I got hurt.

Please come back and update us on how Supercharged works out for you, and what you modified :smile: