Lower Body Routine

Options
I am looking for a better idea of what I can do to kill my legs. Yesterday I had two goals. The first was to go into the weight room and own the squat rack. The second was to work on form and check my ego at the door. I did both (checks off goal)

I did:

4 sets of 10 (Barbell Squats no additional weight)
3 sets of 10 (barbell straight leg deadlifts)
3 sets of 10, at 20lbs kickbacks (tried lunges with the barbell but couldn’t keep my balance)
3 sets of 10, at (??lbs) hamstring curls (don't have my log book and can't remember the weight)

I did some core work, stretched and called it a day.

I thought I would wake up nice and sore, but not really. The workout was a challenge. But I am wondering if I could have done something better or more efficiently.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You could always raise the weight!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If your form held up, raise the weight.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    being sore is not really a good indicator of a good workout. its more an indicator of not working out a body part often(1x per wk) or a new stress is added to the muscle.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Regular deads

Walking lunges with weight
  • Trotters8
    Options
    I agree just raise the weight
    (keeping good form)
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i agree...raise the amount of weight you are lifting
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    Just my suggestion...keep the weight the same for next time (3 days from now, try it again) and add in partials at the end of each set. If you are doing 10 full range squats, without stopping, go straight into 10 additional half squats starting from the bottom and only coming half way up (mid range reps). Do the same for ham curls, lunges, etc. Each set will actually be 20 reps, but half will be full range, half will be partials. You will get a great pump and have great gains. :-)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I thought I would wake up nice and sore, but not really. The workout was a challenge. But I am wondering if I could have done something better or more efficiently.

The only time I get sore from a Legs workout these days is when I make the mistake of taking a break from them for a couple of weeks.

Even if I change the exercises, the rep count, the weight, etc., if I exercise regularly I hardly wake up sore the next day from DOMS. However, I do improve the condition of my legs, including their strength, endurance, and composition. That is what I am really after in the end.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do 3x5 squats at a challenging weight, prior to your sets of 10. Raise the weight progressively.
    Find a program to follow. I'd recommend Starting Strength.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Use dumbbells for lunges( a great exercise in my opinion ) You could increase weight or sets up to 5. You could also do drop sets for maximum burn. They really hit the spot :)