Week 5 workout 3

Options
Otter1422
Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
Oh boy I have week 5 workout 3 up today and I have been dreading it here at work a little bit. I got a little aggressive a week or so ago and wanted to see if I could run for longer at slower pace so I went from 6 MPH down to 5 and ran a mile then walked, ran another half mile then walked, ran another half mile then ended up running 6.5MPH last .3 miles to finish 5K. So I thought I will be ok with the push to the 2 miles but boy I am not feeling so confident today. Workout 2 earlier in the week was hard. Oh well very much looking forward to having done it!

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You can do this! W5D3 is a mental workout. But you've made it this far, which shows your determination and ability. You aer physically ready for this!
    Get some good music and zone out as much as you can. Don't think about time or your legs. Concentrate on your easy breathing and slow down if you must. Don't worry about your speed.
    Good luck.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You might want to look through the archives for the other posts about W5 D3. It's a real milestone.

As Plexgut said, it's a mental hurdle. You've been running for 5 weeks: you can more than handle it. You just don't know that you can yet; that's what this run is for. Slow down, find your pace, and concentrate on your music. You can do this and it will be amazing. Good luck and tell us about it when you're through!
  • Otter1422
    Options
    Well back to report I did it! I did it at the 5 MPH 12 minute mile pace which seems a little slow but was more than challenging enough for me. A couple minutes in I thought no way can I make this but I just shot for each half mile until I got through. So it took me longer than the 20 minutes took 24 minutes for me to do the whole 2 miles. Man now what haven't even looked ahead except at the beginning what is it next week 2.5 miles? Bring it on!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! That's awesome! You did great.

Your program is set to distance? Mine was set to time, so when I finished W9, I wasn't running 5K yet (but I did the week afterwards, which was great).
  • Otter1422
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! That's awesome! You did great.

Your program is set to distance? Mine was set to time, so when I finished W9, I wasn't running 5K yet (but I did the week afterwards, which was great).

I am in the North Pole, not really but Wisconsin feels like it sometime so I am just doing this on a treadmill at the gym. I have been doing the time for the workouts until this one because I slowed my pace down the last week to 5 MPH I wanted to do the full 2 miles so I went a little overtime. I am joining a train for your first 5K at a local shoe store with the wife at the end of the month and I am looking forward, cautiously so actually jogging outdoors in the group runs.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    That's ambitious! I'm rooting for you. I haven't checked out any 5K races in my area yet. I want to get more conditioned before I do. I'm not consistent yet in being able to jog 5K; sometimes I can do it, other times I can't quite. I'm trying now to work on my endurance and strength by adding incline and additional speed to my workouts.
    I'm training on the treadmill as well right now and am looking forward to moving outdoors in the spring. It'll be nice to jog along and see some changing scenery for a change.
    You're doing really well. A 2-mile jog is quite an accomplishment. Keep up the good work.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's super, Otter. I wasn't doing 2 miles until week 7. Glad to see you pushed through the Week 5 mental hurdle.

I've found that I usually go quite a bit faster and farther during races than I feel comfortable during training due to the extra motivation of all the people and the race - that's pretty typical. Do what feels comfortable for you, but you're probably ready for a 5k if you can almost do it most of the time.