Started stage 1 today! A few questions.

Options
angela1700
angela1700 Posts: 31 Member
I started stage 1 today. I thought it was going to be really hard, but, it wasn't. (This probably means I need to increase my weights!)

The squats went much better than it thought. The first set of 15 I used just the bar as I have never used the bars before. The squats themselves went great, but that bar hurts the back of my neck and shoulders. Maybe I am holding it wrong. The second set of 15, I upped to 55 lbs. Next time I do squats I will definitely need to increase the weight.

Seated Row- used the seated row machine at 75 lbs. Can I do a bent over row instead???? Push ups I did on the floor next to the machine with knees on the floor.

Step ups I did on an aerobics step with 3 risers.

The jackknife was awkward, but, I got through it. I am quite proud of myself,

I was happy that the workout did not take very long, and I completed it. Looking forward to B1 in a few days. If anybody has any advice on how to hold the bar so that it doesn't hurt my shoulders, that would be awesome, and can I change the seated row to a bent over row so I can avoid that silly machine?

Replies

• tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Is there a soft pad you can wrap around your bar?? I started this morning too (with a trainer 'cause I'm a total noob to lifting) and he told me to always use the pad so it didn't hurt my neck.

Great job on the weights! I started off with the bar for squats and then added 20lbs for the next rep, I'll see what I feel like tommorow, but I think I could've upped it more than that.

I don't know about changing out the seated row, I'll let someone else answer that...

LOL I had trouble on the first set of jackknife, the ball kept rolling back farther and farther so I was only holding it with my toes by the last rep (very awkward). But I worked on my form in the second set and it went much better.

Overall, it was so much fun though, and I can't wait to get back to try workout b!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do a bent row as a substitute to the seated row, either with a barbell or a set of DBs.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    When you are starting squats, it is hard to find the right place on your back. I don't like the pad because it messes up my form. If you can feel one vertebrae in your neck/shoulders that kind of sticks out more than the others, place the bar below it. Push your shoulderblades together to make a shelf out of your muscles to support the bar as well.

I would be careful about substituting if you don't have to -- why do you need to do bent over rows when you have a cable machine? I get that sometimes people NEED to substitute because of injuries or equipment issues, but I would advise you to not fiddle with the program unnecessarily. Bent over rows are part of later stages, so you will get to them soon enough.

I would also advise against pushups on your knees. It doesn't use the same form, and in the new Supercharged book, they specifically say no to them. Find a railing, or a desk or some other waist-high sturdy bar to start on. Once you master those, move to a bench, then to a step, then to the floor.
  • angela1700
    angela1700 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When you are starting squats, it is hard to find the right place on your back. I don't like the pad because it messes up my form. If you can feel one vertebrae in your neck/shoulders that kind of sticks out more than the others, place the bar below it. Push your shoulderblades together to make a shelf out of your muscles to support the bar as well.

I would be careful about substituting if you don't have to -- why do you need to do bent over rows when you have a cable machine? I get that sometimes people NEED to substitute because of injuries or equipment issues, but I would advise you to not fiddle with the program unnecessarily. Bent over rows are part of later stages, so you will get to them soon enough.

I would also advise against pushups on your knees. It doesn't use the same form, and in the new Supercharged book, they specifically say no to them. Find a railing, or a desk or some other waist-high sturdy bar to start on. Once you master those, move to a bench, then to a step, then to the floor.

Thanks for advice on the squats. I will definitely work on bar placement. I didn't use the cables for the seated row, but, a nautilus machine. The cables were all being used by the muscle men at the gym (there was an actual line!) and I did not want to wait around to continue my workout.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I hate having to wait, too. If you can, try to use the cable machines, because they really are the best. There are a lot of bent over rows in stages 2-5.