Change it up?

Options
PetulantOne
PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
Background- I'm in a deficit. I've lost 30 pounds so far. 5' 3" 141 pounds. I think I have about 10 more pounds to lose, but I also wouldn't mind if I stayed the same weight while reducing BF%. According to online calculators, I'm 27%, 23% by calipers. (I have calipers I use at home, so take into consideration user error.) I'm not new to weight lifting so to speak. I was on the weight lifting team in high school, but that was 14 years ago. I work out at home, and have limited equipment at the moment. Barbell, some weights, dumbbells. So when I decided to start lifting again, I went with New Rules, because of that. I've been doing it since October, now in stage 4. I have seen progress for sure, but it only goes so far because it changes up constantly.

I would have went with stronglifts right off if I would have had the proper equipment. In the next week or so I will be buying a bench, squat rack, and more plates.

My question is, should I finish out new rules, or just switch to stronglifts right away? I keep going back and forth, because I don't like giving up on things. I only have a few months left, so it's not like it's the end of the world either way. On the other hand I don't like wasting my time. So I figured I would ask you guys, because I value your opinions.

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

ETA: just for reference, I lift three days a week, run 2, and maybe one other day of cardio.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I will let peeps chime in that have done them - but based on what I know about the programs, I would change to Stronglifts. I believe after stage 3 NROL4W starts having some 'oddities' with some of the lifts that are not exactly optimal for strength.

I am going to get someone from my FL who I know knows more about the details to respond here.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    Thank you!

Strength gains is my main problem with the program. Some days it feels more like cardio than strength. There's a ceiling on how much weight I can use doing things like dumbbell one point rows.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I switched to SL offer stage 2 of NROLFW.

I switched because I'd just had knee surgery and the was a w hole bunch of fiddlely lifts I couldn't do as my knee couldn't cope.

For example the split squats and lunges.

Now I do the SL's lifts but when I lift alone, I pick a weight I know I can handle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I switched because I'd just had knee surgery and the was a w hole bunch of fiddlely lifts I couldn't do as my knee couldn't cope.

Now I do the SL's lifts but when I lift alone, I pick a weight I know I can handle.

In hindsight, assuming no knee surgery, which would you suggest based on your experience of both programs?
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

In hindsight, assuming no knee surgery, which would you suggest based on your experience of both programs?

I like SL's cause a know I can go into the gym and do the routine without need to check what lifts I'm doing. It's either Deads day or Squats day.

I like that and I know I couldn't do that with NRoL.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Oh and there was one move in NRoL where you put your feet on a stability ball, and do a 'pike'. That was flapping hard and I feel no need to do it what's so ever.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    Oh and there was one move in NRoL where you put your feet on a stability ball, and do a 'pike'. That was flapping hard and I feel no need to do it what's so ever.

lol, the whole ab circuit they have seems to be pretty pointless to me. I also have problems with my knees on a lot of the one leg exercises. My balance has improved, but I'm still scared i'm going to injure myself.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    Thanks ladies.

I don't feel so bad for "quitting" now. I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing until I get everything set up, and then I'll switch to strong lifts.

I really appreciate your help.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

lol, the whole ab circuit they have seems to be pretty pointless to me. I also have problems with my knees on a lot of the one leg exercises. My balance has improved, but I'm still scared i'm going to injure myself.

I didn't know NROL involved anything with a balance ball...I value core work but for a novice lifter that is kind of pointless and f*cking stupid.

Bulk of your core work as a novice will be done with Squats, Deads and Overhead Press.

Look at Starting Strength and not just Stronglifts if you are willing, the latter is just a rip off of the former which is a little better tailored towards novices and contains good explosiveness training in the form of Power Cleans.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I did start with NROWL4W, I liked the book a lot and I would recommend it to any women who is shy to start lifting,
    but after the 1st stage I switched to stronglifts and then to Starting Strenght (mainly because SL was dragging to 80 minutes workouts as I needed to rest 3 min between sets) Now I'm doing SS and some accessory work.

I think that the book (NROWL4W) is great but the workouts are good for someone who wants to try out all those movements and needs a push to do it. For me it was overcomplicating the things.
    I am considering to do NROWL4W at some point, just to learn all the moves, or just incorporate some lifts from the book to my routine once I'm not a newbie anymore and doing split not full body routine, but right now I'm very happy with the basics - full body -SS.

Also I think that SS book helps a lot more with the form, all the movements are detaild with photos and pics. My squats went up 15 kg in a week just from switching to the low bar as described in SS
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I did start with NROWL4W, I liked the book a lot and I would recommend it to any women who is shy to start lifting,
    but after the 1st stage I switched to stronglifts and then to Starting Strenght (mainly because SL was dragging to 80 minutes workouts as I needed to rest 3 min between sets) Now I'm doing SS and some accessory work.

I think that the book (NROWL4W) is great but the workouts are good for someone who wants to try out all those movements and needs a push to do it. For me it was overcomplicating the things.
    I am considering to do NROWL4W at some point, just to learn all the moves, or just incorporate some lifts from the book to my routine once I'm not a newbie anymore and doing split not full body routine, but right now I'm very happy with the basics - full body -SS.

Also I think that SS book helps a lot more with the form, all the movements are detaild with photos and pics. My squats went up 15 kg in a week just from switching to the low bar as described in SS

Dat low bar squat <3

Also Rip goes through a lot of the major key points of lifts as well as about other supplemental training on the SS website:

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/videos
  • PetulantOne
    Options

I didn't know NROL involved anything with a balance ball...I value core work but for a novice lifter that is kind of pointless and f*cking stupid.

Bulk of your core work as a novice will be done with Squats, Deads and Overhead Press.

Look at Starting Strength and not just Stronglifts if you are willing, the latter is just a rip off of the former which is a little better tailored towards novices and contains good explosiveness training in the form of Power Cleans.

I actually just got the book yesterday. I heard he goes into great detail about the lifts. From what I've heard, I thought the only real difference was one was 3x5 and the other 5x5.

And yeah, every time I get on the swiss ball I think about the fvckarounditis article lol
  • PetulantOne
    Options

I completely agree. I will probably pick pieces from it later on. But at the moment, I would like to improve the basics. I would also like to compete again someday, and NR won't get me there lol
  • PetulantOne
    Options

Dat low bar squat <3

Also Rip goes through a lot of the major key points of lifts as well as about other supplemental training on the SS website:

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/videos

I'll check out the website too. Thank you!