Deadlift advice

Options
shorty35565
shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
I've saw some videos online where people pick it up off the floor, take it down low and pull it back up. Then I've seen people who pick it up & put it back down for every rep. Which is correct? I can lift more if I just take it low, but I tried putting it back on the floor every time tonight & it wore me out, so I had to lower my weights by 5 & then couldn't finish my sets because my legs were just shot already. I was really feeling it in my quads, but I thought you were supposed to feel it in your hamstrings. I never felt it in my quads so much the other way. I think mayb I was squatting the weight down in the end. Idk...I feel like a failure now though. Can anyone help me?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Reset after each rep for deadlifts.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Ding ding ding
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I can lift more if I just take it low, but I tried putting it back on the floor every time tonight & it wore me out

That's the point. If this were easy, everyone would be doing it. Lots of people have to take a rest day after deadlifting because it is the most taxing lift on your central nervous system that you can do. It's not supposed to be easy. You'll be surprised how much stronger you get - not only in deadlifting, but also in your other lifts. :flowerforyou:
  • shorty35565
    Options

reset means put the weight on the floor or ??? sorry :(
  • shorty35565
    Options
    I can lift more if I just take it low, but I tried putting it back on the floor every time tonight & it wore me out

That's the point. If this were easy, everyone would be doing it. Lots of people have to take a rest day after deadlifting because it is the most taxing lift on your central nervous system that you can do. It's not supposed to be easy. You'll be surprised how much stronger you get - not only in deadlifting, but also in your other lifts. :flowerforyou:

no doubt. that was crazy today. least now i know how much not to try to lift lol
  • dare2love81
    Options

Yep! Put the weight on the floor and stand back up straight. Then go back down into your deadlift.
  • dare2love81
    Options

no doubt. that was crazy today. least now i know how much not to try to lift lol

Does your gym have any trainers milling around? If so, I would ask them for a quick lesson in deadlifting to make sure you're getting the form right. If your form isn't correct, you can end up seriously injuring yourself.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • shorty35565
    Options

Does your gym have any trainers milling around? If so, I would ask them for a quick lesson in deadlifting to make sure you're getting the form right. If your form isn't correct, you can end up seriously injuring yourself.

I don't go to a gym. I lift at home.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If you see people that are lowering the weight part of the way (usually to just below the knees) chances are they are doing Romanian Deadlifts. As an exercise, the RDL works the posterior chain more (glutes and hamstrings) where the traditional deadlift recruits the quads a little more.

I do both in my program, though definitely not in the same workout!

FYI, because the deadlift is such a punishing full body (well most body) exercise, it will quickly show you where your stronger and weaker areas are. Some assistance exercises can bring a weaker area up if needed.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    If you see people that are lowering the weight part of the way (usually to just below the knees) chances are they are doing Romanian Deadlifts. As an exercise, the RDL works the posterior chain more (glutes and hamstrings) where the traditional deadlift recruits the quads a little more.

FYI, because the deadlift is such a punishing full body (well most body) exercise, it will quickly show you where your stronger and weaker areas are. Some assistance exercises can bring a weaker area up if needed.

I guess I've been doing Romanian Deadlifts.
    I can definitely tell my quads are getting worked more when I have to put the weight back down every time.
  • shorty35565
    Options

Thank u so very much! this is so helpful!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Ding ding ding

^^yep.

Plus if you are feeling it in your quads, your form may be off (or your quads may just be working more than they are used to). You should take a video and watch your set up. I did that recently and realized my set up was pretty crapola and I did not even realize I was doing what I was actually doing.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

I guess I've been doing Romanian Deadlifts.
    I can definitely tell my quads are getting worked more when I have to put the weight back down every time.

I do both.

I do high reps of RDL's until grip failure, as one of my grip strengthening exercises.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html

Good explanation of form here. Bodyrecomposition.com always has good advice.

I don't reset on RDLs.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Yep! Put the weight on the floor and stand back up straight. Then go back down into your deadlift.

I don't stand back up between reps. I do put the bar back down on the ground and reset my grip and everything between reps. With lighter weights I sometimes just touch the weight to the ground and pick it straight back up but I always set everything all the way down between reps.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    As someone above said, not going all the way down is likely the SLDL rather than a normal deadlift. Both are great exercises, by the way.