increasing veg.s and fruit

Options
Anyone else have trouble increasing the veg.s and fruits, while struggling with going over on carb.s? I find that while I get my fiber in through grains, I'm not eating nearly the amount of fruits and veg.s as I probably should--which (duh) is why I have a hard time staying in my calorie limit for the day. sigh I setting a goal of at least 3 servings of veg.s &/or fruits each day. I know that's still low, but it will be a start for me.

Replies

• pugandchips
    Options
    OK, so yesterday I actually got in 2 veg.s and 2 fruits. Woo-Hoo! I know many people get in much more, but for me that is GOOD. Especially lately, when I've been using carb.s to soothe stress--not a good idea. :)
  • MissySchwab
    MissySchwab Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I use to personally struggle with this a lot.I started adding steamed brocoolii,peppers,onions, and mushrooms, and yellow summer squash, spinach,kale and zuccinhi to everything i could to help get mine in.I also started doing a piece of fruit as a snack every afternoon during my worst times.You find out what works for you and your family.I know for us I can add pureed veggies to certain foods and get an extra serving in easy.If your making the carb stuff yourself you can replace fats with fruit purees,or in savory dishes veggie purees to help.It is hard to get in 5 servings when your raised meat and potatoe that is how my family is.I had to relearn to eat pretty much to get what i needed in.Don't forget too you can always do a veggie and dip snack or roast veggies to make veggie chips.
  • MissySchwab
    MissySchwab Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I posted my veggie chip recipe.I know for me as a carb lover these sastify my chip craving and get in my veggies
  • pugandchips
    Options
    :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • pugandchips
    Options
    One more day (yesterday) with 2 veg.s and 2 fruit servings. I want to keep up at least that much for a week, and then try to add on another veg. If I do better--GREAT. If not, that's a start at least. :)
    Hoping to make some carrot 'chips' today or tomorrow.