Stretching? What kind? How long?

Options
I've been walking consistently for about 6 weeks. (About 2 miles 5 days a week). I just completed week 2 of C25K.

I know I need to be stretching, but I'm not really sure where to start.

(I'm 43, female, SW 306, CW 291).

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    stretch_05.jpg
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Look in Youtube for Holly Perkins Sports Warm-up and Cool-down videos. I use those every time - with some additional calf stretching after my run due to tight calves.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    These are great.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    That picture above is great. I usually do calf stretches against a wall.

Wall.jpg

Though I'm not as flexible as her.

I'll do this one as well, which stretches the soleus, the calf muscle that runs against your bone

LungingBentKnee.jpg

Then a simple hamstring stretch by putting my leg up on a railing and then quad by grabbing my foot behind my butt. I try to make sure my leg is parallel to the one I'm standing on and stretch straight back.

I probably need to add some hip flexor stuff as well but this is working for me so far.

I also like this dynamic routine for before a run and to help warm up

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/dynamic-routine
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to really exploit RunnersWorld as a resource. They have great stuff.
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to really exploit RunnersWorld as a resource. They have great stuff.

I agree with this suggestion. I do dynamic stretches after a 5 min walk and then do static stretches after the run. I do the suggestions from their website.

-Bob